Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 06:46 PM

271 posts, read 1,667,833 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I'm an American citizen. This April I'll be traveling alone to Argentina for the first time to see the U2 concerts in La Plata. I was hoping if I could get some travel advice from any South American residents here.

I've never been to South America before. And I know only basic Spanish. So I don't know what to expect.

I'll be staying at a hostel in La Plata, which is nowhere near Buenos Aires. The hostel is a couple dozen blocks from Estadio Único. I chose to book a place in La Plata rather than in the Federal Capital, because I don't know what public transportation will be like before and after the concerts.

Right now, I have a few general concerns-

How could I get from EZE airport to La Plata?

Would I have difficulty with the language barrier?

How concerned should I be about my personal safety?

What will the weather be like in early April?

Please let me know what I need to be aware of during my trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 12:01 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
Hey everyone. I'm an American citizen. This April I'll be traveling alone to Argentina for the first time to see the U2 concerts in La Plata. I was hoping if I could get some travel advice from any South American residents here.

I've never been to South America before. And I know only basic Spanish. So I don't know what to expect.

I'll be staying at a hostel in La Plata, which is nowhere near Buenos Aires. The hostel is a couple dozen blocks from Estadio Único. I chose to book a place in La Plata rather than in the Federal Capital, because I don't know what public transportation will be like before and after the concerts.

Right now, I have a few general concerns-

How could I get from EZE airport to La Plata?
I don't think there is any direct bus service between Ezeiza and La Plata, so I think you would be best off hiring a taxi in this case. I would check with Manuel Tienda Leon or similar services that are available in EZE.... MTL has published fares for private cars to La Plata.... I dont know the current prices but Im guessing it will be approx AR$250 or so....

Alternatively you can also probably take a taxi to Retiro and take the bus from there to La Plata to save some cash.

Quote:
Would I have difficulty with the language barrier?
If you know only basic spanish I'll think you will be okay. Also keep in mind that Buenos Aires has been popular with foreign expats (including many Americans) as of late so finding someone who speaks english there will not be a problem.

Quote:
How concerned should I be about my personal safety?
I would say La Plata is just as safe as any US city or even safer in some instances. Just make sure to be aware of your surroundings and don't carry too many valuables on your person.

Quote:
What will the weather be like in early April?
It's pretty nice overall usually temps will be around 70 F.

Anyways hope this helps.

Last edited by diablo234; 02-07-2011 at 12:14 AM..

Old 02-07-2011, 06:25 PM

Is it true that as an American citizen, I'll need to pay a departure tax when I fly out of Argentina?

And will I have to pay a some type of $150 fee once I land in Argentina?

Old 02-07-2011, 06:38 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Last time through, in 2010, it was ~$29 or 30 bucks. Some airlines charge you, and list it, (buried), in the charges codes on the tix; UA for sure, and others may. If your airline does charge upfront and the agent is honest/on the ball, they won't hit you for it, they will 'sticker' you. If your airline does not charge, you will have to pay. EZE keeps jacking it up every year or so.

Never paid any 'landing fee'.
GL, mD

Old 02-09-2011, 04:38 AM

344 posts, read 462,309 times
Take martial arts lessons.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:55 PM

28 posts, read 60,724 times
Seeing a great band like U2 in South America is a great experiance. Shows in SA are awsome; they really get into it(I love the soccer chants). I saw Metallica in Lima and I can tell you its definetly a "bucket list" experiance. About safety just don't walk alone at night and you will be OK.. Good luck!

Old 02-09-2011, 08:57 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
let me google Visa Info for Argentina for you:

Argentina Visa Information

Old 02-11-2011, 06:43 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
Quote:
Is it true that as an American citizen, I'll need to pay a departure tax when I fly out of Argentina?

And will I have to pay a some type of $150 fee once I land in Argentina?
I was there last year, and didn't pay a departure tax. Yes, you will have to pay the entry fee which is good for 10 years.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:37 AM

165 posts, read 530,226 times
You might also try posting your question on this forum
Travel Forums, Discussion Boards for Talk and Chat - TripAdvisor and then select "South America --- Argentina"

Old 02-18-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk_Fuji View Post
About safety just don't walk alone at night and you will be OK
I might have to walk alone after the U2 concert.

The concert will be at Estadio Unico, which is 20 blocks from my hostel.

La Plata can't be as bad at night as the Boca area in the Federal Capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas