U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 01:11 PM

909 posts, read 667,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
read
So you think that in the long term residents of PR will not be able to leave for the mainland? I thought it was a temporary situation due to the hurricane emergency. You gave an estimate of 10,000 by the end of the decade. Sounds like you mean in the next few weeks and are talking about rafts crossing the sea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 05:21 PM

602 posts, read 326,865 times
Once they get the airports and seaports back up and running, many will live to the US mainland with extended family. Others will go elsewhere as they have been doing since the fiscal crisis began to worsen. Here some articles from some months back about the exodus before hurricane maria.

Puerto Rico’s Economy Isn’t Doomed. Here’s How to Save It
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/puert...091500758.html

Puerto Rico’s Exodus of Doctors Adds Health Care Strain to Dire Financial Crisis
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/...n-dire-n783776

Old 09-30-2017, 06:41 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 15 days ago)

5,187 posts, read 8,027,180 times
Quote:
Puerto Rico is now ravaged by this past hurricane and is now recieving very lil help from the US government. Hundreds of Thousands want to leave but very few planes leaving PR. Puerto Rico was in the middle of the eye of a catergory 5, which later went in a Northwest ward direction n merely skirted past the northern coast of DR.

Do you think many will start to look at tge Dominican Republic as a option?? I think atleast 10,000 ethnic Puerto Ricans will move there from PR by the end of the decade (2020), not counting some Dominicans who may move back from PR.
Many Puerto Ricans already live in the DR. Some are retirees, others are business owners or professionals, and others married a Dominican and then moved there.

A little known fact is that since colonial times there has always been a back and forth flow between the two islands, and in the late 1800's and early 1900's a Puerto Rican immigration wave took place in the DR. In that wave were many people that became influential in the DR. There are many buildings in the major cities of the DR that were either architecturally designed or built by prominent Puerto Ricans. The wealthy neighborhood of Serrallés in Santo Domingo is actually named after the Serrallés family, of Puerto Rican origin, in fact its the same family that built the Castillo Serrallés near Ponce, Puerto Rico. They made a fortune in the Dominican sugar industry. The most important poet of the DR is Pedro Mir, his mother was from Puerto Rico. Many prominent Dominicans in politics, business, culture in general are of partial Puerto Rican ancestry.

During the war of Reconquest (Reconquista) of 1809, when the Dominicans reconquered their territory from the French that had taken control in 1802 and reintegrated into Spain, those battles against the French were won because of the commitment of the Governor of Puerto Rico, who supplied plenty of arms and soldiers to aid the Dominican uprising. Roughly half of all the soldiers that died in that battle fighting to kick the French out were Puerto Rican soldiers. The Dominican/Puerto Rican soldiers gave such a fight that the leader of the French, Mr Ferrand, seeing how his troops were being decimated by the Dominican/Puerto Rican onslaught decided to commit suicide in a field near the town of El Seibo. That battle is known as la Batalla de Palo Hincado. It's said that when the news began to spread through out Spanish America that Spanish Santo Domingo had been reconquered from the French, the bells of the main church in the countless towns and cities were rang in celebration.

My point is that Puerto Rican migration to the DR is nothing new.

Anyway, in the last few years some news stations (mostly in Spanish) have given some attention to what seem to be an upswing in Puerto Rican immigration to the DR. It consist mostly of retirees, people with a passion for businesses and see the opportunities in the DR, and people that marry Dominicans and then decide to live in the DR.

Here are a few of those reports in Spanish (I notice there is basically nothing about this in English anywhere):

This one focuses on the multimillion dollar investments that Puerto Ricans are making in various parts of the DR:

This one is of September 20 of this year and focusing on the flow of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans arriving to the DR due to the crisis created in PR by Hurricane Maria and the stupidity of Donald Trump (yes, I said it!)

Old 10-01-2017, 11:54 AM

368 posts, read 268,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
So you think that in the long term residents of PR will not be able to leave for the mainland? I thought it was a temporary situation due to the hurricane emergency. You gave an estimate of 10,000 by the end of the decade. Sounds like you mean in the next few weeks and are talking about rafts crossing the sea.
Long term yes they will be able to leave and hundreds of thousands will. But it will take acouple weeks to get the airports up and running. In the mean time, very few flights are leaving an island where thousands desperately want to leave. I do think there will likely be an uptick of some Puerto Ricans getting on makeshift rafts and crossing the Mona Passage westward into the Dominican Republic.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:42 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 15 days ago)

5,187 posts, read 8,027,180 times
Quote:
Long term yes they will be able to leave and hundreds of thousands will. But it will take acouple weeks to get the airports up and running. In the mean time, very few flights are leaving an island where thousands desperately want to leave. I do think there will likely be an uptick of some Puerto Ricans getting on makeshift rafts and crossing the Mona Passage westward into the Dominican Republic.
I doubt they will make makeshift rafts for that, the ferry is functioning normally. After taking the supplies the DR donated to PR, the ferry return to SD with over 800 people composed by Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and other nationalities leaving PR. The last video I posted in my previous response is the first arrival of the ferry at Santo Domingo since the storm struck San Juan.

Many people will also use Santo Domingo as a stop over place in order to get to the USA. It sure beats suffering the long waits and inconveniences currently affecting Luis Munoz Marin International Airport. The ferry takes one night to go from San Juan to Santo Domingo, and from there finding a flight to New York, Orlando or Miami is a piece of cake.

At least those that are desperate to leave PR and are smart about it will opt to go via the DR route. They will reach their US destination much faster and with better treatment than is currently the case for most people trying to leave via the airport in San Juan.

This video is from yesterday and narrates the arrival at Santo Domingo of many Puerto Ricans with health problems (those that need dialysis, cancer treatments, diabetes medicine, etc) in order to get the medical attention they need to stay alive. I think this is a good idea, because the official help is taking way too long in PR. Some people can't spend too much time without their proper medical attention.

Once things in Puerto Rico are functioning they will go back home.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:49 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,615,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Puerto Ricans are American citizens...they will go to the mainland...no reason to go to DR unless they are going there as investors
There's a lot of Puerto Ricans in Florida, especially in Central Florida around Orlando (the I-8 corridor). With the devastation on the island, we can expect more of an exodus to Florida and the Tri-State area.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:32 AM

7,437 posts, read 5,929,882 times
Quote:
Don't know why all the wailing. Other islands with fewer resources than Puerto Rico and much less access to outside help have hurricanes in the past, recovered and returned to normal. Grenada, demolished by Ivan, recovered better than ever. Ditto Jamaica with Gilbert.

And so will Puerto Rico. What concerns PR is its inefficient and ineffective government. Puerto Ricans pay income tax to this government and not to the IRS. I am interested to find out what this government is doing with this money, because it is to my understanding that their electricity supply was a disaster waiting to happen.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:30 AM

3,579 posts, read 1,365,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
HA! There is actually a lot of Dominicans in Puerto Rico lol.

I haven't heard of any newly culturally or ethnically Puerto Rican communities in DR.
My late aunts husband was Puerto Rican. He was raised in the DR. Apparently PRs have a long history of moving to the DR for education and business reasons. Imagine in the 1940s-50s taking dollars over the Mona Pasaage from Mayaquez to start businesses. Thats what his family did in the 60s. Perhaps after awhile they just identified as Dominicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or