U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:41 AM

2,566 posts, read 4,653,010 times

Advertisements

Yes, there is Google Street View. But it would take decades to see the whole city of Sao Paulo on Google Street View. There are hundreds of thousands of streets.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:28 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,634,342 times
it's kind of odd to see countries like guyana, french guiana and suriname excluded in a conversation about south america yet countries like uruguay, paraguay and bolivia are mentioned?

colombia, venezuela, guyana, french guiana, brasil and suriname all have a strong african influence due to african slave trade. if you looked at a map you'd understand why/how brasil has the largest number of africans in terms of population outside of continental africa (and second only to nigeria). the western coast of south america wasn't really affected by the slave trade, hence the reason for the strong indigenous look to the people who live in those countries like chile, bolivia, and peru.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:58 PM

5,899 posts, read 8,414,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
it's kind of odd to see countries like guyana, french guiana and suriname excluded in a conversation about south america yet countries like uruguay, paraguay and bolivia are mentioned?
well, they should all be mentioned. I dont know anything about guyana or suriname, i have no idea about them tbh, maybe someones that geographycally closer to those countries can talk about them (?). I know a lot about uruguay, brasil and something about paraguay, bolivia, peru, chile, since my country is all surrounded by this countries.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 15 days ago)

5,179 posts, read 8,027,180 times
Quote:
I think it has to do with the notion that all Latin American countries are the same or very similar, and the OP wanted to know of their differences. For that reason, people focused on the 'traditional' independent Latin countries of South America and ignored French Guyana (which is an overseas department of France, hence technically we're talking about Europe right there, heck, they even use the Euro as their currency!), Guyana (which is not a 'traditional' Latin country), and Suriname which is more of the same reason Guyana is excluded. Those countries are, in many sense, extensions of the Caribbean culture.

Its similar to how many people don't really consider Cuba, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico as the 'true' Caribbean, they're more Latin American in outlook and influence, and even in the feel. If you've ever been to those three countries in the Caribbean and you know how it feels to be in places like Jamaica or Barbados or Martinique, you will notice that in Cuba, DR and PR, it feels more like other Latin American countries and less like the 'true' Caribbean.

It goes without saying that the northeastern trio in South America are markedly different from the rest of the continent, why bother mentioning how different they are when everyone knows they are different from the rest?

That's my take on this.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:38 AM
(-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
I think it has to do with the notion that all Latin American countries are the same or very similar, and the OP wanted to know of their differences. For that reason, people focused on the 'traditional' independent Latin countries of South America and ignored French Guyana (which is an overseas department of France, hence technically we're talking about Europe right there, heck, they even use the Euro as their currency!), Guyana (which is not a 'traditional' Latin country), and Suriname which is more of the same reason Guyana is excluded. Those countries are, in many sense, extensions of the Caribbean culture.

Its similar to how many people don't really consider Cuba, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico as the 'true' Caribbean, they're more Latin American in outlook and influence, and even in the feel. If you've ever been to those three countries in the Caribbean and you know how it feels to be in places like Jamaica or Barbados or Martinique, you will notice that in Cuba, DR and PR, it feels more like other Latin American countries and less like the 'true' Caribbean.

It goes without saying that the northeastern trio in South America are markedly different from the rest of the continent, why bother mentioning how different they are when everyone knows they are different from the rest?

That's my take on this.
Brasil, the largest south american country of them all, has nothing in common with any of the other countries previously mentioned already lol, so i'm not sure how the ones i mentioned would be considered "outsiders". the fact is, geographically speaking, they are all solidly located in south america, which makes their significance/claim to any purported "south american culture" just as valid as say a bolivia, chile, uruguay, argentina, etc. is french guyana any more euro than argentina? honestly? i mean argentina markets itself as the europe of south america!

and as the son of a dominican father, who by the way identifies as black, i'd say they are very much part of the "true" caribbean. puerto rico and the dominican republic are about as far apart from mexico culturally as jamaica is to canada. language, in my opinion, does not dictate culture. as an african american, i may speak english, but i'd probably have more in common with a black brasilian culturally than i would a black person from the u.k.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Brasil, the largest south american country of them all, has nothing in common with any of the other countries previously mentioned already
I disagree.

There is a language barrier between Brazil and the rest of Latin America, but this barrier is harder for Spanish speakers to surpass, than for Brazilians. Most Spanish speakers from Latin American countries have a great difficulty to understand Portuguese, but Brazilians understand Spanish much easier. So, there are many artists from Spanish speaking Latin American countries who enjoy very much success in Brazil.

Brazil has many things in common with the rest of Latin America. The majoritarian Catholic religion is one of those things.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:39 PM

This is one of the mysteries of the Universe: why Portuguese speakers can understand Spanish so easily, but Spanish speakers can't understand Portuguese easily?

Old 08-16-2011, 07:01 AM
(-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
I disagree.

There is a language barrier between Brazil and the rest of Latin America, but this barrier is harder for Spanish speakers to surpass, than for Brazilians. Most Spanish speakers from Latin American countries have a great difficulty to understand Portuguese, but Brazilians understand Spanish much easier. So, there are many artists from Spanish speaking Latin American countries who enjoy very much success in Brazil.

Brazil has many things in common with the rest of Latin America. The majoritarian Catholic religion is one of those things.

you have to look at the context in which that comment was made. i think you'd see it differently.

also if we use religion is the measuring stick of what's latin america and what's not latin america than this whole post is useless. haitian Catholicism is vastly different from dominican Catholicism.

as for you spanish/portugese question, to me, portugese tends to be more tonal/nasal than spanish, which makes it hard for us (spanish) speakers to understand. portugese is more enunciated than spanish in my opinion. i have improved a lot with my portugese but it's taken some time.
i kind of look at it like learning mandarin vs. learning korean. mandarin is more complex than korean and korean has elements of mandarin in it.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:41 AM

I still disagree with the statement that Brazil "has nothing in common" with other Latin American countries. I think we have a lot in common...

Viva la Copa Libertadores y la Copa Sudamericana!

Old 08-16-2011, 08:34 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,539,690 times
Quote:

colombia, venezuela, guyana, french guiana, brasil and suriname all have a strong african influence due to african slave trade. if you looked at a map you'd understand why/how brasil has the largest number of africans in terms of population outside of continental africa (and second only to nigeria). the western coast of south america wasn't really affected by the slave trade, hence the reason for the strong indigenous look to the people who live in those countries like chile, bolivia, and peru.
thats not a country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas