U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:10 AM

5,899 posts, read 8,414,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
I still disagree with the statement that Brazil "has nothing in common" with other Latin American countries. I think we have a lot in common...

Viva la Copa Libertadores y la Copa Sudamericana!
Are you from Brasil??

Viva las Copas! Viva Estudiantes de La Plata!

I love Brasil! Been to Rio and Buzios and loved it!!

Old 08-16-2011, 11:04 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,698,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
it's kind of odd to see countries like guyana, french guiana and suriname excluded in a conversation about south america yet countries like uruguay, paraguay and bolivia are mentioned?
This is exactly what I was thinking as I read through this thread. Growing up in NY and the metro area there is a huge population of Guyanese here. When I lived in Europe I had alot of friends from suriname, they reminded me so much of the Guyanese!

I haven't been to either country but yes I know there is a strong Caribbean connection, as well as a cultural connection (Cricket etc.).

There's a pretty interesting land dispute I think that Guyana has going on with Brazil and Venezuela but more so on the interior of the country. One thing that I think is interesting is that the coastal parts of these countries have strong Caribbean ties, while the interior have strong indigenous ties.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:12 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,634,342 times
Quote:
I still disagree with the statement that Brazil "has nothing in common" with other Latin American countries. I think we have a lot in common...

Viva la Copa Libertadores y la Copa Sudamericana!
se você diz assim…

Eu tenho um problema com o termo América Latin

Brasil não é Latin

But we can and probably will see things differently.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:27 AM

492 posts, read 1,018,635 times
Guyana and Surinam have Indians as a mayority of their population. East Indian 43.5%, black (African) 30.2%, mixed 16.7%, Amerindian 9.1%, other 0.5% (2002 census)
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/gy.html

Old 08-16-2011, 11:55 AM

2,566 posts, read 4,653,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
se você diz assim…

Eu tenho um problema com o termo América Latin

Brasil não é Latin

But we can and probably will see things differently.

There are many different points of view about the use of terms like "Latino" or "Latin America".

My particular point of view is that Brasil is part of Latin America, along with the Spanish speaking countries of the continent. And this is how most Brazilians feel about the subject: they feel they are part of Latin America ("América Latina").

Brazilians love Shakira, from Colombia, Brazilians love RBD (and Anahí) from Mexico , Brazilians love the Mexican telenovelas almost as much as Brazil's own telenovelas, and Brazilians love the Mexican TV show "El Chavo del Ocho", which is one of the oldest TV shows continuously exhibited in Brazil, and still very sucessful among kids. And more recently, Brazilians love Larissa Riquelme!

Old 08-16-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Are you from Brasil??

Viva las Copas! Viva Estudiantes de La Plata!

I love Brasil! Been to Rio and Buzios and loved it!!

Yes, I am!

Viva el Ceará Sporting Club! Ceará is on Copa Sudamericana 2011.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
There are many different points of view about the use of terms like "Latino" or "Latin America".

My particular point of view is that Brasil is part of Latin America, along with the Spanish speaking countries of the continent. And this is how most Brazilians feel about the subject: they feel they are part of Latin America ("América Latina").

Brazilians love Shakira, from Colombia, Brazilians love RBD (and Anahí) from Mexico , Brazilians love the Mexican telenovelas almost as much as Brazil's own telenovelas, and Brazilians love the Mexican TV show "El Chavo del Ocho", which is one of the oldest TV shows continuously exhibited in Brazil, and still very sucessful among kids. And more recently, Brazilians love Larissa Riquelme!
Do Brasilians love something about Argentina or do they hate us?
I always get the feel brasilians do not like us due to futbol rivalry but we do like brasilians (everyone likes brasilians) eventhough you always beat us in futbol

Old 08-16-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Do Brasilians love something about Argentina or do they hate us?
I always get the feel brasilians do not like us due to futbol rivalry but we do like brasilians (everyone likes brasilians) eventhough you always beat us in futbol
Brazilians love Argentinian beef! Nothing better than a "churrasco" (barbecue) made with Argentinian beef! It's delicious!

There are some Brazilians who hate Argentinians, but this is because they think Argentinians hate Brazilians. There is a lot of misunderstanding and manipulation from the part of the press. And the Argentinian sports press doesn't help...

I don't hate Argentina. I think it's a lovely country, and it has good people and bad people, just like any other country.

I think we should unite South America, and not divide. The rivalry in football can not be confused with mutual hatred.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Brazilians love Argentinian beef! Nothing better than a "churrasco" (barbecue) made with Argentinian beef! It's delicious!

There are some Brazilians who hate Argentinians, but this is because they think Argentinians hate Brazilians. There is a lot of misunderstanding and manipulation from the part of the press. And the Argentinian sports press doesn't help...

I don't hate Argentina. I think it's a lovely country, and it has good people and bad people, just like any other country.

I think we should unite South America, and not divide. The rivalry in football can not be confused with mutual hatred.
I think that too!
I love all Southamerican countries! Its such a beautiful and diverse region i think we should all unite and love eachother and learn more about each country culture and do not promote hate or division.

Sadly, sometimes futbol gets in the way. And the wars for the territory that ocurred in the past, too (thats why Chileans hate us, they are teached in school they should own the patagonia and basically they think half of our territory its theirs).

Old 08-16-2011, 07:26 PM

230 posts, read 782,904 times
All Argentines must go to Buzios at least once in thier life. I think it is written in the Argentine Constitution or something. Although I was just there last week and there seems to be a lot less than in the past. Probably because the Real is so strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas