U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 10:26 AM

5,899 posts, read 8,410,644 times

Advertisements

fwiw i dont know if is the most diverse continent (i have yet to travel to all continents :P) but i do know is MUCH more diverse than some people think in USA. They kind of think southamerica is all like mexico or something (cause they do know mexico). They have no idea how differents are the countries between eachother. If you go to Brasil, then to Bolivia, then to Argentina, you will know what im talking about. Different cultures, landscapes, people, etcétera.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:49 PM

48,029 posts, read 45,452,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter1111 View Post
South America is the most diverse continent? How would you rank South America in diversity compared to other continents?
I never said the most diverse, I said MORE diverse than people think.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:22 PM

230 posts, read 782,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
They kind of think southamerica is all like mexico or something (cause they do know mexico).
Actually, Mexico itself is more diverse than most Americans think. Most Americans only know about Mexico from going to a few tourist spots or from the poor people who have crossed the border. But I don't think it is only Americans who are like that. I have met a few Europeans and Australians who have said they were surpised that south america was not more like Southeast Asia.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:41 AM

48,029 posts, read 45,452,601 times
This is a sample of some of the music from South America, specifically Peru:
Wilma Cevallos performing more Afro-Peruvian music - YouTube

And some more:
Apu Inka performing at Kennesaw State University III - YouTube

Old 07-04-2012, 12:23 AM

27 posts, read 52,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faire View Post
I'd separate them in 3 big groups (excluding Mexico and center america as you're only mentioning south america):

Caribbean countries: Venezuela and Colombia. Lot of black influence, in terms of race and culture. Very very friendly people. Beautiful women, if not the most beautiful women in the world. Colombians and Venezuelans even have a very similar accent and share similar food (Arepas). Even their national flags are basically the same. I love these people because they're generally very happy, they love rumbas (party, dance!) and love Salsa music, which I also do.

Countries from the Andes: Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia. The main thing they all share is race. They have a big influence of indigenous race as the Inca Empire basically was established in these 3 countries, with the capital in Peru (Cuzco). In Bolivia most of the people has indigenous influence, while Peru is a lot more diverse, but indigenous people still predominates, overall outside the capital. These countries also have a similar accent. Peru has its own food and the best food in the continent by far. Peru and Ecuador share many things from the Caribbean countries, like the people friendliness and music tastes. Bolivian people is more unfriendly and I think it is due to being the least developed country in the continent.

Southern countries: Argentina, Uruguay, Chile. White race dominates this group. They all have a big influence from Europe, specially Uruguay and Argentina. Chile and Uruguay often appears as the top countries in terms of development, human rights, perception of corruption, economy wealth, etc. They have done it very well in the last decades. I'd say Uruguay and Chile are the rich kids in the neighbor. Argentina has a great culture and has provided the continent with a great culture during the past century, they have great people but their politicians are probably the worst politicians in the world and that's causing the country to be in a very bad situation right now. Chilean people is probably the most unfriendly people in the continent and they are very similar to Europeans in terms of unfriendliness. Accents from Uruguay and Argentina are exactly the same. Chile has its own accent that nobody else but Chileans understand.

Not sure where Paraguay fits, I think they have a lack of identity. However if I had to put them in one group, due to their culture, I'd put them in the group of the countries from the Andes.

Cheers!
not to be rude, but your generalized 3 categories of south america are simplistic and, in many cases, stereotypical, and, shall i say, very biased.
Though the three types of racial categories you mention are GENERALLY true (and accepted, of course with exceptions), the "friendliness" and "happiness" stereotypes are far from accurate. One might also say that, while the carribean nations of venezuela and colombia do have more african influence (not necessarily regarding race, but in culture and music), they are not necessarily the "friendliest" or the "happiest" in south america. Venezuelans and colombians are equally known to be arrogant and even "uppity", especially those in cities like caracas, bogota, and medellin (being the largest cities, they're not to be discounted). Bogota and medellin have the most white populations in colombia, most natives tracing their ancestries straight to spain, so not all of colombia has an african make-up (colombians of the coast tend to have more african or indian blood, generally, but a good percentage of colombia's population--mainly in the andean cities--have european blood and tastes). Yes, many colombians and venezuelans enjoy "typical carribean beats" like merengue, salsa, and cumbia...AND?? So do ecuadorians and peruvians (especially coastal ecuadorians and peruvians), and i hear carribean beats are enjoyed in montevideo, buenos aires, and santiago almost as much, especially by the younger set. I know of many colombians and venezuelans who, while loving "salsa & merengue parties", also have alot of sadness, hang-ups, and anger issues. Not to say that the southern cone nations don't have anger & sadness, but I have met SO MANY VERY friendly and "happy", cheerful, life-loving argentinians, uruguayans, and chileans, just as much as what you say the northern carribbean nations are like; in fact, they don't have certain hang-ups that colombians and venezuelans have, like distrust of outsiders and looking down on certain fellow countrymen because of their race or ethnicity, like urban colombians, venezuelans, ecuadorians, and peruvians generally do. And have you seen some of the uruguayan and argentinian women and men (people, in general)? They are certainly some of the most beautiful and handsomest I've seen ANYWHERE. I do know that venezuelans claim to have the most beautiful women in "the world", but, really now, it's a pretty big world. Brazilians make the same claim, and so do the colombians, lol, but believe me, none of those nations have the monopoly on beautiful women (my personal taste is that spanish, italian, irish, swedish, brazilian, ethiopian, czech, and armenian women are the most beautiful in the world, but, hey, that's just me). Yes, i believe bolivians are GENERALLY more reserved (quiet) than many of the other nations' peoples, but still no less friendly. Keep in mind that friendliness and passion don't only manifest themselves as to how much booty one shakes and how loud one's laughter is. Many chileans, uruguayans, and argentians are extremely happy-go-lucky and friendly, outgoing; in fact, even more talkative and social than many venezuelans and colombians i know, who themselves can be quite aloof and reserved..the subject matter that many of the chileans, uruguayans, and argentinians i know choose to talk or joke about are generally the same as their "carribean" counterparts, but perhaps it's HOW they choose to laugh or talk about them is what's different, but no less enjoyable or outgoing or "happy". So perhaps many chileans, uruguayans, and argentinians do prefer to drink tea (té de mate) or coffee and read a newspaper and discuss politics/philosophy, entertainment, or sports rather than to dance a salsa till 6 am (I actually find that to be refreshing). It doesn't mean they lack passion--passion for love, for music, or life, or lack friendliness for an out-of-towner or foreigner. Yes, they generally love the tango, another VERY passionate dance..slower and more methodical, but still a passionate music. Just because it's a tango rather than a merengue doesn't mean the music is lacking "life" or "spice", and thus its people. The tango is definitely a very spicy and hot dance and music, but different than the carribean version of spice. So, just like the tango, the people there are a very romantic, spicy, sociable, outgoing, and very hospitable people...just as much as any of the "carribean" or andean nations. It also doesn't mean that there aren't the same types who enjoy philosophying and listening to tangos in colombia, venezuela, ecuador, peru, or bolivia. To say that chileans are similar to europeans in terms of "unfriendliness" is totally off-base. Europeans may not necessarily be the "loudest laughing people on the block", but that doesn't mean they aren't friendly and lack spice (yes, various european groups differ from other europeans, just like various latin american groups differ from each other). The friendliness--yes, friendliness that the irish show to outsiders and foreigners is legendary; the same for the italians, the romanians, the poles, the greeks---well, have you ever experienced their hospitality and friendliness, their hugs, and their gifts of gab?? I have. The spaniard is not really known to be a lover of foreigners, but his/her general politeness and hospitality for the foreigner is well-known, not to mention a spaniards passion and spice-factor. Have you ever heard the passion and spice of a flamenco, an irish tavern song and dance, a greek bouzouki, an italian tarantella, or a romanian folk song? I have, but not just me...those particular europeans are known for their friendliness, gifts of gab, sociableness, passion and spice for life and love, as well as for their politeness and courtesy. So then, if chileans are "similar" to those europeans, then they too are very giving, friendly and sociable, though perhaps not manifested in the same way as in the carribean nations, but still just as much. My chilean family friend (friend of my mom's) is soooo giving and friendly, so hospitable, yet polite. She enjoys going to "salsa and merengue parties" once in a while, and she is, yes, very "european" in her manners and habits. But she is certainly no less friendly than what you say carribeans generally are.
okay, sorry for the long spiel...but, yes, the three general (very general) racial categories in south america exist (within varying degrees within each country's internal regions), but each of the three categories are just as friendly and as happy as the other; just manifested differently. On the flip side, all three can equally be as reserved as the other two depending upon which region within what country we're talking about.
As for paraguayans..i only met one in my life, so i don't know. However, she was as polite as a chilean, as reserved as a bolivian, as dance-loving as a venezuelan, as blued-eyed as an argentinian, and as good-a-cook as an ecuadorian. What do we say about them? Go figure, lol.

Last edited by greenerpastures79; 07-04-2012 at 12:54 AM..

Old 07-04-2012, 11:11 PM

81 posts, read 203,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
se você diz assim…

Eu tenho um problema com o termo América Latin

Brasil não é Latin

But we can and probably will see things differently.
I think people are confusing the terms Latin here.....Latin America originally means the combination of countries in America that speak a romance language, wich derives directly from the Latin language.....portuguese is a romance language, so obviously Brazil is a latin country......Spain, France, Italy and Portugal are all latin countries for that matter, but nobody realizes that.......

Old 07-29-2013, 07:47 PM

578 posts, read 755,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
In fact, all countries in South American have a more or less strong indigenous influence, even Chile, Argentina and Uruguay. If not in the phenotype, but certainly in the genotype and in some aspects of culture.

But the black influence in South America is mostly confined to Brazil, Venezuela and Colombia.
There are strong "black" influences in EVERY country in South America.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venezuelan View Post
How different are the nations of America?

How different would you say they are? As different as U.S. American states, like say NY and California, or moreso? The obvious one is Brazil, so I'm more talking the Spanish speaking nations. Is Colombian culture kinda Caribbean compared to Chile?

RACE:

European:

Argentina
Uruguay
Canada

Light-Skinned Multiracial-Mestizo Countries:

Chile
Cuba
USA
Costa Rica
Brazil
Aruba
Curacao

Multiracial-Mestizo:

Venezuela
Colombia
Panama

Native American Blooded:

Mexico
Peru
Ecuador
Guatemala
Nicaragua
Bolivia

African Blooded:

Haiti
Bahamas
Dominican Republic

Note: The largest populations of African blooded Americans are located in Brazil and USA.

CULTURE:

European Culture:

Argentina, Uruguay, Canada

Multicultural:

Chile
Costa Rica
USA
Aruba
Curacao
Brazil
Mexico
Panama
Venezuela
Colombia

Native American Culture:

Peru
Bolivia
Ecuador
Nicaragua
Guatemala

African Culture:

Haiti

QUALITY OF LIFE:

First World:

Canada (Modern, G8 Powerful Economy, Stable Politics, Peaceful, Social Security includes Health Care security, Highest minimum wage on the continent, lowest level of unemployment, Excellent GINI COEFFICIENT)

Second World:

USA
Chile
Argentina
Brazil
Uruguay
Bahamas
Aruba
Curacao
Mexico
Panama
Costa Rica

American Third World Version (a lot better than African and Asian versions of Third World countries)

Rest of America
Ecuador is more than +15% black/Afrodescendant.

Bolivia has more than 1 million blacks/Afrodescendants

Old 07-29-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColombianaBoricua View Post
Here's my 10 cents.
central America (including mexico) is most mestizo/native American with the exception of Panama which has a black and white presence, although majority mestizo.
south america is a little more complicated than that. peru and bolivia are both majority indigenous countries with large mestizo populations. ecuador mestizo+native. paraguay is majority mestizo (90%). colombia is majority mestizo (60%) but has large white and black (including mulattos and zambos) minority (20% each). venezuela is similar to colombia, however, venezuelan mestizos are more tri-racial (african, native, euro). colombia and venezuela can be compared to brazil in a sense that they all have pretty big black populations, african influence flourishes, it's present and visible, and overall they're countries that are a melting pot of races, cultures and ethnicities. far more racially and culturally diverse than the other countries in south america IMO! but colombia and venezuela lack a european majority and the european presence that brazil has, especially in southern brazil. brazil has the most whites in latin america. also, brazil lacks the mestizo (mestico in portuguese) population that is dominant in colombia and venezuela. not saying there aren't in mesticos in brazil, i'm sure there's many, but brazil's non-white population is composed mostly of mulattos, triracials, blacks, and mesticos falls somewhere in between. i want to look more into that. indigenous people in brazil and venezuela are very small. colombia has twice as many indigenous people + more. indigenous people are still a small minority in colombia but not as small as you think. argentina and uruguay are mostly white (obviously) but don't be fooled. there are more mestizos in argentina than some people are willing to admit. that's all im gonna say on that. chile is different. it's practically half white and half mestizo (or castizo). chilean mestizos mostly lean on towards their euro side more than native but it depends which region your in.
Panama, resembles Colombia/Venezuela genetically and ethnically and demographically in many ways

Old 11-24-2013, 11:26 AM

2,241 posts, read 2,673,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
While Argentina doesn't have alot of Blacks, it does have alot of Mestizos, and people of Indigenous ancestry (be it Argentines, immigrants, or otherwise). The country's NW - think Jujuy and Salta - is heavily Indigenous and Mestizo (i.e, they are the majority), and many parts of Buenos Aires are increasingly majority Bolivian and Peruvian. These people never seem to get mentioned in discussions about race in Argentina.

Northern European-looking? Really? Most of the whites in BA - in upwards of 80% - are of Italian and Spanish ancestry. An estimated 60% of Argentines are thought to be of Italian ancestry, some 25,000,000 people. Compared to "whites" in the US here, Argentine whites have darker, tanned skin, black/brunette hair, and other, Mediterranean features. There are some exceptions, but most of the whites here don't fit the pale skin/freckles/blue eyes/blonde hair stereotype.

BA doesn't have much colonial architecture; it was a tiny, relatively un-prosperous pueblo during the Spanish days. The "old" architecture we have is mainly from 1870-1940 (50+ years after the end of colonial rule), when millions of Europeans poured into a then-rich Argentina. The result of this was thousands of buildings constructed in Art-Deco, Beaux-Arts, French, Modernist, Rationalist, and Tudor styles. Colonial architecture, aside from a few churches in the center, is rare - especially compared to places like Cartagena, Havana, Lima, or Quito.
Argentina has millions of people of Black African descent. Many of them have been overlooked due to erasure and paper genocide. There are many Afro-Argentines in Argentina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas