U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-24-2013, 11:34 AM
 
2,241 posts, read 2,673,871 times
Reputation: 424

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
lol what is this obsession Brazilians have with RBD?

Yes at least the Brazilians I've met they all feel like Latinos.
Brazilians and Haitians are Latinos but they aren't Hispanos or Hispanics.

 
Old 11-26-2013, 11:49 PM
 
490 posts, read 1,499,424 times
Reputation: 213
I agree with greenerpastures79, Not all of the Colombian and Venezuelans are ultra friendly and nice, and care free...I think whoever said says this exaggerated.

Meanwhile, I have met some Argentinians and Chileans who were good people and I became good friends with them. I met two Argentinians from the city of Rosario. I'm not sure what the name of the town was but they told me people call it, "el Jardín de la República", The Garden of the Republic. Well, anyway, they were very friendly, very nice and enthusiastic with me, very curious about my nationality (Mexican). They went on and on about how they really liked shows like El Chavo del 8, Chapulin Colorado, RBD, the Ranchera and Mariachi music, the Mexican accent, well lots of things about Mexico.

I don't meet too many people like that hehe. Other than that, they seemed to be very passionate about life, somewhat optimistic. They told me their place in Argentina is very nice too. I think probably the Porteños (people from the Buenos Aires area) give the Argentinian people a bad rep because they told me they don't like those people because they are so proud and arrogant and try to put others down.

On the other hand I met some Colombians and Venezuelans from Bogota and Caracas who were stuck up, reserved, and very vanidosas. Sure some of them were pretty and beautiful...almost too much for their own good, but I would rather have an average looking girl with a good personality easily. Also the guys were also about the same. I never knew anything more than a "Si" "no" or "ta chevere" response from these people. Some exceptions were two bogotanos who are my friends. They are pretty ok, they are a lot nicer than the other ones I've met and made good friendly bonds with them. Although they've lived in Bogota for most their lives, they are costeños, originally from the coast.

So once again, regarding what the guy said, maybe the world is not so black and white, since there can be like 50 shades of grey in Colombia and Venezuela and maybe 70 Shades of Grey in Argentina and Chile.
 
Old 11-27-2013, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,811 posts, read 4,437,604 times
Reputation: 3257
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
On the other hand I met some Colombians and Venezuelans from Bogota and Caracas who were stuck up, reserved, and very vanidosas.
Big time!
 
Old 12-01-2013, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
5,899 posts, read 8,414,152 times
Reputation: 4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
I don't meet too many people like that hehe. Other than that, they seemed to be very passionate about life, somewhat optimistic. They told me their place in Argentina is very nice too. I think probably the Porteños (people from the Buenos Aires area) give the Argentinian people a bad rep because they told me they don't like those people because they are so proud and arrogant and try to put others down.

Of all the stereotypes i ve heard in my life, the "porteños" not being nice is the most ridiculous and bs EVER. I lived in BA for more than 2 years now and porteños are, in general, nice, friendly and outgoing. You can telll the statement is ridiculous in itself, cause "porteños" (meaning people that live in this city) are at least 50% (probably more so) from OUTSIDE the city itself, so they are from other provinces or other cities in the country. So if someone says people in BA are rude, that doesnt make any sense, giving that at least half the people you met here are NOT from here, you know what i mean?? I ve met all kinds of people here, and around 80% arent born here. So its clearly ridiculous from a person from, lets say, tucuman, to say "oh porteños are so rude but people from the rest of argentina are nice" when in reality, a huge percentage of people living in Buenos Aires actually come from the REST of argentina.
 
Old 12-01-2013, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,241,785 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Of all the stereotypes i ve heard in my life, the "porteños" not being nice is the most ridiculous and bs EVER. I lived in BA for more than 2 years now and porteños are, in general, nice, friendly and outgoing. You can telll the statement is ridiculous in itself, cause "porteños" (meaning people that live in this city) are at least 50% (probably more so) from OUTSIDE the city itself, so they are from other provinces or other cities in the country. So if someone says people in BA are rude, that doesnt make any sense, giving that at least half the people you met here are NOT from here, you know what i mean?? I ve met all kinds of people here, and around 80% arent born here. So its clearly ridiculous from a person from, lets say, tucuman, to say "oh porteños are so rude but people from the rest of argentina are nice" when in reality, a huge percentage of people living in Buenos Aires actually come from the REST of argentina.
Well it could be those who choose the big city lifestyle are the not so nice people from the provinces , lol jk.
 
Old 12-01-2013, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
5,899 posts, read 8,414,152 times
Reputation: 4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well it could be those who choose the big city lifestyle are the not so nice people from the provinces , lol jk.
not true

i admit most of my friends here are not born porteños, and i ve known some born porteños too, a lot of them really nice, but they seem to be a tad more reserved or less open to new friends than people born elsewhere, but still very nice once you get to them. But, even if born porteños werent nice and the rest of argentinians were.....who cares when most people that live in BA arent born porteños??? Even the people from the great buenos aires (buenos aires city haves 3 millon people -composed of born porteños and a lot of people from all around the country, and the great buenos aires haves 10 millon more people, that supposedly have this different, more open and nice personality just like the rest of argentina) are said to be like the rest of argentina, and they are the big majority of people here. I mean, even if porteños were rude, you have like only 20% of chances to meet a born porteño as opposed to an 80% chance of meeting someone either from other places of the country or from great buenos aires. Right now in my work, everyone but me lives in great buenos aires, im the only one that lives in the city and im not even from here! Out of the close friends i ve made in this 2 years living here, only ONE is born porteño, all the rest live here but were born elsewhere. Out of all the people i know, the big majority wasnt born here. So that statement doesnt make any sense when the born porteños are the minority here. Heck, this city is composed from people all over, not only argentina, but latin america too, and also from all over the world. The identity of "porteños" is a mixed of people from everywhere, so saying they are all "rude" is ridiculous! If anything, there is a huge variety of people: nice, rude, friendly. And the majority of people share qualities that are the qualities of the argentinian citizein in general: friendly, warm, etc.
 
Old 12-02-2013, 01:18 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,241,785 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
not true

i admit most of my friends here are not born porteños, and i ve known some born porteños too, a lot of them really nice, but they seem to be a tad more reserved or less open to new friends than people born elsewhere, but still very nice once you get to them. But, even if born porteños werent nice and the rest of argentinians were.....who cares when most people that live in BA arent born porteños??? Even the people from the great buenos aires (buenos aires city haves 3 millon people -composed of born porteños and a lot of people from all around the country, and the great buenos aires haves 10 millon more people, that supposedly have this different, more open and nice personality just like the rest of argentina) are said to be like the rest of argentina, and they are the big majority of people here. I mean, even if porteños were rude, you have like only 20% of chances to meet a born porteño as opposed to an 80% chance of meeting someone either from other places of the country or from great buenos aires. Right now in my work, everyone but me lives in great buenos aires, im the only one that lives in the city and im not even from here! Out of the close friends i ve made in this 2 years living here, only ONE is born porteño, all the rest live here but were born elsewhere. Out of all the people i know, the big majority wasnt born here. So that statement doesnt make any sense when the born porteños are the minority here. Heck, this city is composed from people all over, not only argentina, but latin america too, and also from all over the world. The identity of "porteños" is a mixed of people from everywhere, so saying they are all "rude" is ridiculous! If anything, there is a huge variety of people: nice, rude, friendly. And the majority of people share qualities that are the qualities of the argentinian citizein in general: friendly, warm, etc.
Ok we get your point Sophie lol...actually it's sometimes said that the 'true' New Yorkers are actually pretty decent, and those who come to the city are not so nice. Same with London. Maybe it's the out of towners not the born portenos who give BA it's bad rep?
 
Old 12-02-2013, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
5,899 posts, read 8,414,152 times
Reputation: 4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Ok we get your point Sophie lol...actually it's sometimes said that the 'true' New Yorkers are actually pretty decent, and those who come to the city are not so nice. Same with London. Maybe it's the out of towners not the born portenos who give BA it's bad rep?

Oh, good point, but here the ones that have a bad rep are actually the born porteños. The originals from other places are said to be the nice ones, while the born porteños are supposed to be arrogant and rude.


Thank god im not porteña
 
Old 12-02-2013, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,241,785 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Oh, good point, but here the ones that have a bad rep are actually the born porteños. The originals from other places are said to be the nice ones, while the born porteños are supposed to be arrogant and rude.


Thank god im not porteña
Interesting. The same stereotype probably holds for Paris. I think that's a common attitude in many countries. That the people in the biggest city or capital thing they're better and everyone else hates the city/people there. I know there's a bit of that towards Sydney here.
 
Old 12-03-2013, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
5,899 posts, read 8,414,152 times
Reputation: 4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Interesting. The same stereotype probably holds for Paris. I think that's a common attitude in many countries. That the people in the biggest city or capital thing they're better and everyone else hates the city/people there. I know there's a bit of that towards Sydney here.

It seems like a trend in general. What do they say about people born in sidney there in Aus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top