U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-16-2011, 07:10 AM
 
2,065 posts, read 4,177,972 times
Reputation: 2385

Advertisements

They are very different; just bc they share the same language that does not mean they are similar in many aspects at all.

I would agree with Faire in most things, but imo food is at its best in Argentina, Uruguai, and Chile when it comes to food in South American countries.
Argentina and Uruguai have prime beef; needless to say, they are avid barbecue fans and have excellent dairy products too. I am always impressed by the quality of Argentinian products, they care so much about quality even their food is packaged beautifully.
Chile has excellent fruit (exported to many countries) and fish due to its climate and coastal area so they enjoy great food as well.

 
Old 03-16-2011, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
Reputation: 9478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How different would you say they are? As different as American states, like say NY and California, or moreso? The obvious one is Brazil, so I'm more talking the Spanish speaking nations. Is Colombian culture kinda Caribbean compared to Chile?
South America. This is my take, having spent about 10 months on the South American continent:

BRAZIL - It's own world. Portuguese-Brazilian, and significantly different from the rest.

The Spanish-speaking world has a lot more similarities between them, but also quite a bit different as well. I guess it that way, they'd be like the separate U.S. states. Each one can be very different, but since they share the same language, they have quite a few similarities as well. Nontheless...

ARGENTINA - Heavy Italian population and influence. Wide boulavards. Think of themselves as more European. Generally more caucasian across the board - few mestizo, black, etc.

CHILE - Quite similar to Argentina lacking the mestizo, indigeneous, black, etc. HOwever, they are also lacking the heavy Italian population. More of a european spanish looking people. Quite conservative as well, but in a friendly, family-values kind of way.

BOLIVIA - Very indigeous. A lot of mestizo. Very insular in thinking and in every kind of way. Mountains throughout most of it, adding to that insular feeling. You'll see Quechua everywhere - indigeneous. There are also some mennonites, germans, spanish, mestizo, spanish, as well. But indigeneous numbers are quite high in Bolivia.

PERU - Generally very mestizo, but also good numbers of indegenous, and spanish. Additionally, Lima has an interesting and high number of just blond european people, black peruvians, and many japanese. Very international city in many ways, although still predominately mestizo. Generally though, mestizo, generally.

ECUADOR - ANother country kind of similar to the description of Peru, minus the Japanese.

COLOMBIA - Lots of very european looking people, as well as a lot of mestizo...as well as a lot of black...as well as a lot of mulatto...as well as even black/indigenous mix - I think that call it z-something.

VENEZUELA - European, black, mulatto, mestizo, the whole mix again similar to Colombia.

Next to Venezuela, you have those three little countries I never went to - but you have a Dutch one in there, and I believe a French one. You also have some Indonesian or Indian mixed in one of them. I skipped those three little countries, but some really unique stuff there.

I also didnt visit Uruguay or Paraguay...but I got the impression mostly mestizo or european.
 
Old 03-16-2011, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Santiago, Chile
44 posts, read 206,120 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
They are very different; just bc they share the same language that does not mean they are similar in many aspects at all.

I would agree with Faire in most things, but imo food is at its best in Argentina, Uruguai, and Chile when it comes to food in South American countries.
Argentina and Uruguai have prime beef; needless to say, they are avid barbecue fans and have excellent dairy products too. I am always impressed by the quality of Argentinian products, they care so much about quality even their food is packaged beautifully.
Chile has excellent fruit (exported to many countries) and fish due to its climate and coastal area so they enjoy great food as well.
I've been to Argentina a few weeks, I've lived in Chile the last 15 years of my life, and I was born in Peru.

Believe me: Peruvian food (and fruits) is far better, diverse, authentic than Argentinian and Chilean food. By far. Argentine food is very similar to italian food + premium beef as you said. Chilean is food is simply bad.
 
Old 03-16-2011, 10:54 AM
 
2,065 posts, read 4,177,972 times
Reputation: 2385
Regarding "diversity" and "authenticity" I really cannot discuss that since I am not a Latin food specialist, just a curious and eager to learn foodie.

My post was just stating personal preferences, that is all. I do enjoy the cuisine from those countries and have tasted excellent products exported by them as well.

As for visiting, I have been only to Argentina, and must say in terms of culinary I could not have left with a better impression; maybe what impressed me the most was mainly the overall quality, especially when it comes to beef and dairy. It is truly remarkable.
 
Old 03-17-2011, 07:21 AM
 
278 posts, read 546,786 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How different would you say they are? As different as American states, like say NY and California, or moreso? The obvious one is Brazil, so I'm more talking the Spanish speaking nations. Is Colombian culture kinda Caribbean compared to Chile?
How different are the nations of America?

How different would you say they are? As different as U.S. American states, like say NY and California, or moreso? The obvious one is Brazil, so I'm more talking the Spanish speaking nations. Is Colombian culture kinda Caribbean compared to Chile?

RACE:

European:

Argentina
Uruguay
Canada


Light-Skinned Multiracial-Mestizo Countries:

Chile
Cuba
USA
Costa Rica
Brazil
Aruba
Curacao

Multiracial-Mestizo:

Venezuela
Colombia
Panama

Native American Blooded:

Mexico
Peru
Ecuador
Guatemala
Nicaragua
Bolivia

African Blooded:

Haiti
Bahamas
Dominican Republic

Note: The largest populations of African blooded Americans are located in Brazil and USA.

CULTURE:

European Culture:

Argentina, Uruguay, Canada

Multicultural:

Chile
Costa Rica
USA
Aruba
Curacao
Brazil
Mexico
Panama
Venezuela
Colombia


Native American Culture:


Peru
Bolivia
Ecuador
Nicaragua
Guatemala

African Culture:

Haiti

QUALITY OF LIFE:

First World:

Canada (Modern, G8 Powerful Economy, Stable Politics, Peaceful, Social Security includes Health Care security, Highest minimum wage on the continent, lowest level of unemployment, Excellent GINI COEFFICIENT)

Second World:

USA
Chile
Argentina
Brazil
Uruguay
Bahamas
Aruba
Curacao
Mexico
Panama
Costa Rica

American Third World Version (a lot better than African and Asian versions of Third World countries)


Rest of America

Last edited by Venezuelan; 03-17-2011 at 07:52 AM..
 
Old 03-17-2011, 08:15 PM
 
230 posts, read 782,578 times
Reputation: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venezuelan View Post
How different are the nations of America?

How different would you say they are? As different as U.S. American states, like say NY and California, or moreso? The obvious one is Brazil, so I'm more talking the Spanish speaking nations. Is Colombian culture kinda Caribbean compared to Chile?

RACE:

European:

Argentina
Uruguay
Canada


Light-Skinned Multiracial-Mestizo Countries:

Chile
Cuba
USA
Costa Rica
Brazil
Aruba
Curacao

Multiracial-Mestizo:

Venezuela
Colombia
Panama

Native American Blooded:

Mexico
Peru
Ecuador
Guatemala
Nicaragua
Bolivia

African Blooded:

Haiti
Bahamas
Dominican Republic

Note: The largest populations of African blooded Americans are located in Brazil and USA.

CULTURE:

European Culture:

Argentina, Uruguay, Canada

Multicultural:

Chile
Costa Rica
USA
Aruba
Curacao
Brazil
Mexico
Panama
Venezuela
Colombia


Native American Culture:


Peru
Bolivia
Ecuador
Nicaragua
Guatemala

African Culture:

Haiti

QUALITY OF LIFE:

First World:

Canada (Modern, G8 Powerful Economy, Stable Politics, Peaceful, Social Security includes Health Care security, Highest minimum wage on the continent, lowest level of unemployment, Excellent GINI COEFFICIENT)

Second World:

USA
Chile
Argentina
Brazil
Uruguay
Bahamas
Aruba
Curacao
Mexico
Panama
Costa Rica

American Third World Version (a lot better than African and Asian versions of Third World countries)


Rest of America

Agree for the most part but you know that some people will get upset that you are saying the US is second world, I assume because of Geni coefficient, I understand what you are getting at. I don't think I would put Nicaragua in with the indigenous though. It is mostly mestizo with some white and some black and a few indigenous. Even Mexico, is very multi-cultural multi-racial. Also, I think you left out Paraguay, which I would put into the light skinned mestizo multi-racial category and put in the hot girl category too
 
Old 03-18-2011, 12:43 AM
 
165 posts, read 451,801 times
Reputation: 115
There are also distinctly different regions just within Brazil. Brazil's far south is very Caucasian, more prosperous, and with more 20th century European immigrants. It includes this highly innovative, futuristic sustainable city http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curitiba,_Brazil The northeast of Brazil on the other hand is heavily Afrocentric, with folk religions, and more poverty.
 
Old 03-18-2011, 01:29 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
Agree for the most part but you know that some people will get upset that you are saying the US is second world, I assume because of Geni coefficient, I understand what you are getting at. I don't think I would put Nicaragua in with the indigenous though. It is mostly mestizo with some white and some black and a few indigenous. Even Mexico, is very multi-cultural multi-racial. Also, I think you left out Paraguay, which I would put into the light skinned mestizo multi-racial category and put in the hot girl category too
I always considered all of Latin America pretty much 'second world' with maybe a few exceptions (Uruguay being first world, I have no idea about Argentina, they seem to live comfortably but they have economic difficulties too). They seem to live fairly humbly, but the real poverty (starving etc) is not as bad as in Africa or Asia.
 
Old 03-18-2011, 03:42 AM
 
230 posts, read 782,578 times
Reputation: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I always considered all of Latin America pretty much 'second world' with maybe a few exceptions (Uruguay being first world, I have no idea about Argentina, they seem to live comfortably but they have economic difficulties too). They seem to live fairly humbly, but the real poverty (starving etc) is not as bad as in Africa or Asia.

Both Argentina and Uruguay are how southern Europe would be if it were not connected to the more economically productive Northern Europe.
 
Old 03-18-2011, 04:03 AM
 
230 posts, read 782,578 times
Reputation: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane2 View Post
There are also distinctly different regions just within Brazil. Brazil's far south is very Caucasian, more prosperous, and with more 20th century European immigrants. It includes this highly innovative, futuristic sustainable city Curitiba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The northeast of Brazil on the other hand is heavily Afrocentric, with folk religions, and more poverty.

This is true although the immigrants to the south really started to come before the 20th century. The Germans started in the mid 1800's and the Italians in the late 1800's. Basically mirrors the times they immigrated to the US. Also, I know it is always said that the Northeast is Afrocentric in books like "the lonely planet" but, other than Bahia, I don't really see it that way. Most of the northeast is for sure poorer and more mixed but at least the parts I have been to (Recife, Maceo) were not very Afrocentric. Although there for sure are black people and darker people, I would say the majority just look mostly white with a little mix of black and Indian. And they certainly don't seem to be carrying on many obviously African traditions. That is not to say that Africa hasn't influenced their culture because of course it has just like it has influenced all Brazilian culture, just like it has influenced American culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top