Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 06:07 PM

678 posts, read 1,202,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
They started to immigrate in the mid 1800's and much of the mass immigration happened before world war II.
Oh, you're right. They've come here to work on "coffe belt". But the japanese moving was due to the end of Meiji Era. I think so.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:07 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,727,522 times
Quote:
Please do not insult BA by comparing it to LA.
Agreed. If you are going to compare a US city with Buenos Aires, New York or Philadelphia would be a much better comparison.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:26 PM

769 posts, read 1,726,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faire View Post
I'd separate them in 3 big groups (excluding Mexico and center america as you're only mentioning south america):

Caribbean countries: Venezuela and Colombia. Lot of black influence, in terms of race and culture. Very very friendly people. Beautiful women, if not the most beautiful women in the world. Colombians and Venezuelans even have a very similar accent and share similar food (Arepas). Even their national flags are basically the same. I love these people because they're generally very happy, they love rumbas (party, dance!) and love Salsa music, which I also do.

Countries from the Andes: Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia. The main thing they all share is race. They have a big influence of indigenous race as the Inca Empire basically was established in these 3 countries, with the capital in Peru (Cuzco). In Bolivia most of the people has indigenous influence, while Peru is a lot more diverse, but indigenous people still predominates, overall outside the capital. These countries also have a similar accent. Peru has its own food and the best food in the continent by far. Peru and Ecuador share many things from the Caribbean countries, like the people friendliness and music tastes. Bolivian people is more unfriendly and I think it is due to being the least developed country in the continent.

Southern countries: Argentina, Uruguay, Chile. White race dominates this group. They all have a big influence from Europe, specially Uruguay and Argentina. Chile and Uruguay often appears as the top countries in terms of development, human rights, perception of corruption, economy wealth, etc. They have done it very well in the last decades. I'd say Uruguay and Chile are the rich kids in the neighbor. Argentina has a great culture and has provided the continent with a great culture during the past century, they have great people but their politicians are probably the worst politicians in the world and that's causing the country to be in a very bad situation right now. Chilean people is probably the most unfriendly people in the continent and they are very similar to Europeans in terms of unfriendliness. Accents from Uruguay and Argentina are exactly the same. Chile has its own accent that nobody else but Chileans understand.

Not sure where Paraguay fits, I think they have a lack of identity. However if I had to put them in one group, due to their culture, I'd put them in the group of the countries from the Andes.

Cheers!
This has to be one of the most, if not THE most accurate post on this thread. Thank you. I only disagree with your statement about Paraguay. Not fitting in IS its identity. It doesn't belong to anything else. If anything, it's closer to Brasil than any of the others.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:27 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,742,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Agreed. If you are going to compare a US city with Buenos Aires, New York or Philadelphia would be a much better comparison.
Houston is more accurate

Old 04-03-2011, 07:31 AM

230 posts, read 903,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Houston is more accurate

Now you have lowered the comparison from LA to Houston? Surely you are trying to start some kind of Internet War.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:46 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,742,241 times
Quote:
Now you have lowered the comparison from LA to Houston? Surely you are trying to start some kind of Internet War.
I wasn't serious. lol @ "lowered the comparison", like Houston is just that bad.

The comparison to LA was in terms of being the fashion capital on its respective continent. Nothing else. Obviously, fashion is the last thing anyone cares about in Houston.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:15 PM

Ahem, New York is considered the fashion capital in North America not Los Angeles.

Anyways New York and Buenos Aires are way more similar to each other from a built urban perspective. Los Angeles has more in common with other cities such as Johannesburg or other auto dependent sprawling cities.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:36 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,047,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Ahem, New York is considered the fashion capital in North America not Los Angeles.

Anyways New York and Buenos Aires are way more similar to each other from a built urban perspective. Los Angeles has more in common with other cities such as Johannesburg or other auto dependent sprawling cities.
Having been to all these cities. Sao Paulo feels more like New York City. Buenos Aires feels more like a European city.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Having been to all these cities. Sao Paulo feels more like New York City. Buenos Aires feels more like a European city.
True, I was just saying that out of all the US cities to compare it with Buenos Aires the one with the most similarities with Buenos Aires is New York.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:07 PM

678 posts, read 1,202,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I agree with you. But there are those differences we all know. What I see about New York is, even it being a big metropolis, all things seems to work out in law and order: Traffic, public transportation. Daily we have over 50 miles of congestionment at both rush hours. I just wonder if NYC has that issue as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas