Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 10:12 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
I agree with you. But there are those differences we all know. What I see about New York is, even it being a big metropolis, all things seems to work out in law and order: Traffic, public transportation. Daily we have over 50 miles of congestionment at both rush hours. I just wonder if NYC has that issue as well.
Traffic congestion in NYC isn't really that bad (but not great either) compared with Sao Paulo mostly because all of the infastructure (such as commuter rail, subways, highways, etc) is already in place, compared with Sao Paulo which is trying to catch up with the huge population growth that has taken place over the last few decades.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:46 AM

230 posts, read 904,817 times
In regards to traffic I would compare Sao Paulo to LA. I have never been to New York but isn't it a lot more vertical than SP? Maybe the spirit of SP is like New York but I think the layout of SP may best be compared to Chicago. Decent density but not near as vertical as I would imagine New York or even as vertical as Rio.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:58 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
In regards to traffic I would compare Sao Paulo to LA. I have never been to New York but isn't it a lot more vertical than SP? Maybe the spirit of SP is like New York but I think the layout of SP may best be compared to Chicago. Decent density but not near as vertical as I would imagine New York or even as vertical as Rio.
Sao Paulo is very vertical. I lived in SP for six months, so many photos of just tons of skyscrapers littering the sky.

Of course there is only one New York City, but if someone was to say what Latin American city has a ton of skyscrapers, immigrants, massively large population, and a large financial center as well with capital and corporate headquarters abound. Sao Paulo would be at the top of the list.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:13 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Ahem, New York is considered the fashion capital in North America not Los Angeles.

Anyways New York and Buenos Aires are way more similar to each other from a built urban perspective. Los Angeles has more in common with other cities such as Johannesburg or other auto dependent sprawling cities.
That really depends who you ask. Outside Manhattan, it's not there the way you see it in Los Angeles across the metro. There is more high-end fashion in NY, but LA is just a more image-driven society.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:59 PM

230 posts, read 904,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Sao Paulo is very vertical. I lived in SP for six months, so many photos of just tons of skyscrapers littering the sky.

Of course there is only one New York City, but if someone was to say what Latin American city has a ton of skyscrapers, immigrants, massively large population, and a large financial center as well with capital and corporate headquarters abound. Sao Paulo would be at the top of the list.

I would agree with almost everything you said except my only issue would be that SP is not a great walking city. Those skyscrapers are generally spread out. Rio is much more compact than SP. I walk a lot in Rio, crossing many neighborhoods, and there are always many people in the streets. In SP most people drive or take the metro or bus to go from one neighborhood to another unless in the center. I have stayed with friends in a number of neighborhoods and never saw the quantity of people one sees in Rio on the street. I have heard New York is compact and a great walking city but as I have never been I can't say firsthand. Other than that I would agree with everything you said about SP. In comparison to SP culturally, Rio is like a provincial backwater.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:02 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Like alot of South American cities, much of SP looks to be a vast sea of 10-20 storey condos, in contrast to American cities with a very high downtown which rapidly peters into low-rise (with some exceptions). SP's skyline is a bit like Tokyo's in that it has the vastness of area but lacks a clear, definable skyline.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:54 AM

228 posts, read 810,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Like alot of South American cities, much of SP looks to be a vast sea of 10-20 storey condos, in contrast to American cities with a very high downtown which rapidly peters into low-rise (with some exceptions). SP's skyline is a bit like Tokyo's in that it has the vastness of area but lacks a clear, definable skyline.
My thoughts exactly about Sao Paulo the periphery extends more... The outer ring of of Sao Paulo is probably more dense than the outer parts of New York... With less public transit, which is why it has so much traffic.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:23 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,784,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
This is a perfect definition of the major Brazilian cities: "vast sea of 10-20 storey condos".

Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Belo Horizonte, Fortaleza, Recife, Salvador, Curitiba and Porto Alegre are all vast seas of 10-20 storey condos.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:10 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
This is a perfect definition of the major Brazilian cities: "vast sea of 10-20 storey condos".

Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Belo Horizonte, Fortaleza, Recife, Salvador, Curitiba and Porto Alegre are all vast seas of 10-20 storey condos.
Indeed, just going by photos and videos (since I've never been, but would love to of course) this seems to be the rule in most of South America. I've seen photos of Caracas and it was the same. I do find the rich colonial architecture makes up for it, though, there seem to be more major Latin American cities with historic architecture compared to US cities.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:37 PM

678 posts, read 1,204,981 times
We don't know how to keep old historycal buildings on their feet. Most of what was built by 16,17 and 18th Centuries disappeared away. You'll find just some moldy tent of that time. The rest is just unpleasant to look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas