Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Latin American city would you prefer?
Bogota 6 6.06%
Mexico City 3 3.03%
Buenos Aires 31 31.31%
Caracas 0 0%
Havana 2 2.02%
Santo Domingo 2 2.02%
Sao Paulo 6 6.06%
Managua 0 0%
Guatemala City 0 0%
San Juan 7 7.07%
Santiago 4 4.04%
Lima 4 4.04%
Quito 0 0%
Cartagena 0 0%
Rio de Janeiro 10 10.10%
Panama City 5 5.05%
San Jose(Costa Rica) 4 4.04%
Salvador 2 2.02%
La Paz 0 0%
Asuncion 1 1.01%
Cordoba 0 0%
Vera Cruz 0 0%
Port-au-Prince 2 2.02%
Other 10 10.10%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:39 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,609 times

Advertisements

Montevideo - definitely a cool city and very laid back but part of the reason I'd pick Montevideo is because Buenos Aires is so close (a three hour boat ride). You could hit up BA for more excitement here and there and not have to put up with the negatives of BA on a day-to-day basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 01:01 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Heat, in combination with humidity, is off my radar screen, so that narrows my choices.

Mendoza, Argentina #1 choice (Buenos Aires too far from the mountains), Cochabamba, Bolivia. Closer to home: Tegucigalpa, Honduras (but have only been there in their drier periods).

If it weren't for the smog problem of Santiago, I'd pick that city, or La Paz, Bolivia if it were a couple thousand feet lower in altitude.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:56 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
As a tourist, but look at the nearby houses.. would you want to live there?
Cartagena does look beautiful though. I heard the beaches are horrible, and the touts are agressive. More of a sign of a place being too touristy.

I'm thinking more of the cities listed...and 'like to live' does change things. I'd also have to remove Havanna from the list.

I have been to the Dominican Republic, and I loved their Carribbean beaches.

But, most likely, I wouldn't want to live in any spanish-speaking country, not that I don't like them, but because BRAZIL is the country I am in love with that is on that continent. I'd love to live near a beach in any one of those coastal Brazilian cities.

I spent six months in Rio, Sao Paulo, and visited Curitiba, Falls de Iguazu, Salvador, and Brasilia. While they were all good, for whatever reason, I'd love to be anywhere either further north or further south than those cities, and 100% on the coast.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:26 PM

938 posts, read 4,094,236 times
Buenos Aires. And I have done just that Its vibrant, unpredictable nature; architecture; beautiful women; and work-to-live ethic, versus the live-to-work one found in the US, all do it for me.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:54 PM

202 posts, read 686,324 times
So many for Buenos Aires!

Old 04-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
I don't really prefer any city out of all the major Latin American cities.
I just don't feel a positive wow factor by any of them.
Maybe I just don't know enough things about the Latin American cities?

My favorite cities on this planet and cities I prefer are all in Areas of the USA, Europe, Asia, and Canada.

However, the nicest Latin American cities seem to be Santiago, Sao Paulo, Mexico City, Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, San Jose, Lima, La Paz.
Some of these cities are close to giving me enough of a positive wow factor but not enough.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:46 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
Buenos Aires!! (and im not naturally from there, i moved cause i loved the city)

Though there are many many beautiful cities in southeamerica, i think BA is the best one for people that love culture, arts, architecture, literature, paint, theatre, cinema, etcétera etcétera (you get the picture). Big beautiful city with a vibrant and incredible cultural life. If you want only natural landscapes and quietness then go somewhere else.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:38 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
1.Sao Paulo, Brazil
2.Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
3.Buenos Aires, Argentina

Maybe but i can't rank them:
Cordoba, Argentina
Salvador, Brazil
Bogota, Colombia
Cartagena, Colombia
Lima, Peru
Santiago, Chile
Panama City, Panama
Mexico City, Mexico
San Jose, Costa Rica
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

No option for me:
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Managua, Nicaragua
Caracas, Venezuela
Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Asuncion, Paraguay
Havana, Cuba
La Paz, Bolivia
Quito, Ecuador
Vera Cruz

Old 06-10-2011, 03:52 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Cartagena does look beautiful though. I heard the beaches are horrible, and the touts are agressive. More of a sign of a place being too touristy.

I'm thinking more of the cities listed...and 'like to live' does change things. I'd also have to remove Havanna from the list.

I have been to the Dominican Republic, and I loved their Carribbean beaches.

But, most likely, I wouldn't want to live in any spanish-speaking country, not that I don't like them, but because BRAZIL is the country I am in love with that is on that continent. I'd love to live near a beach in any one of those coastal Brazilian cities.

I spent six months in Rio, Sao Paulo, and visited Curitiba, Falls de Iguazu, Salvador, and Brasilia. While they were all good, for whatever reason, I'd love to be anywhere either further north or further south than those cities, and 100% on the coast.
Every time i read your posts you make me go to orbitz to look at prices to rio and then check my bank account to see if i can go.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:21 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
What about Cancun or Puerto Vallarta?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas