U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 12:00 AM

17,446 posts, read 23,954,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonenorth View Post
Umm...you may care to read more on the history of US intervention in Central America. I think that you'll find that US policies from the end of 19th century until the 1990's weakened the majority of governments in Central America and directly contributed to their current dysfunctional states.

Is ALL of the blame on the US?
No.
But a substantial portion needs to be.
Central America was to the US what North Africa was to France. While the small countries of Central America were never formally US colonies (other than the Canal Zone), they were essentially vassal states of the US in which the decisions were made in the US, everything was owned by US companies with a small local elite running everything for their American overlords, and if a government got "out of line" the US would intervene to get them out of power either with open military force or covertly.

The feudal social structures of the region would have existed if the US had never gotten involved in that region, but the region was dominated by the US government and US corporations. And quite frankly Catholicism has nothing to do with it. If Protestantism made a country rich in spite of colonialism and exploitation then Jamaica would be a wealthy nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's an interesting statement.

I was raised Catholic, my father was Irish-Catholic, and my Mom was Protestant. The thinking within are drastically different.
Catholicism has traditionally had different national styles arising from different historical circumstances. For example, contrast the stern, austere German Catholicism to the joyful, sensual, and aesthetic Italian style of Catholicism (which as you go further south in Italy gets more theatrical and more serious). The Hungarian Catholicism which my family practiced is somewhat of a midpoint between the two. In Ireland, the Catholic Church was long the guardian of national identity in a poor, oppressed land dominated by its much more powerful neighbor, and traditionally in Irish culture it was considered in bad taste for those with money to flaunt it (even amongst Protestants). The "tall poppy mentality" associated with Australia, but which also exists in Canada and to a lesser extent in parts of the Midwestern US, has its origin in Irish culture.

Quote:
In the Catholic Church mindset, I feel that lower-income, modesty, alotment in life, near sainthood in giving, better to give than to recieve, etc. come into play. Meaning, that side of me, strongly devalues material items, high income, etc.
There's more of an orientation towards the community.

Those who still hold to Weber's theories explain the great wealth and success of American Catholics as being the result of American Catholicism's "Protestant style". American Catholicism has been influenced by Protestantism in some ways, just as American Judaism has been influenced by Protestantism. It remains to be seen how a truly American Islam will develop as it has only been in relatively recent times that there has been a large number of American-born Muslims.

Quote:
Whereas from my Protestant mother, she views tele-evangelists and such. Creating wealth and making money and Republican values, and on and on. The more you make, the more you are blessed.
This is only one type of Protestantism, although one that has a pretty sizeable following.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:40 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,240,612 times
Costa Rica has a more European-descended population than everywhere in Central America. That's the true reason.

For whatever reason, the more indigenous countries haven't advanced themselves as much. Some sort of defeatist/regressive mentality takes over at all levels.

There's a reason those countries don't produce the "flashy" latin people you'd see in Miami. That mentality.

Before someone gets mad, there is no data on this. Just an observation, if you disagree that's fine.

In South America, it's why Argentina is a fashionable country and Bolivia is not.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Costa Rica has a more European-descended population than everywhere in Central America. That's the true reason.
And Panama is 2nd. Both Costa Rica and Panama prefer to identify with the Caribbean culture not the Central American culture. Both countries not only have larger white populations than the other Central American countries, but also larger black populations.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:25 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
In Ireland, the Catholic Church was long the guardian of national identity in a poor, oppressed land dominated by its much more powerful neighbor, and traditionally in Irish culture it was considered in bad taste for those with money to flaunt it (even amongst Protestants). The "tall poppy mentality" associated with Australia, but which also exists in Canada and to a lesser extent in parts of the Midwestern US, has its origin in Irish culture.
That basically describes my Irish-American family thinking and Midwestern roots.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:39 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,235,031 times
Its obvious George Bush is the cause of all the problems.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:48 AM

229 posts, read 699,550 times
Panama has the highest economic indicators in Central America... Costa Rica gets the credit, but much of the indicators have Panama listed ahead of or close behind Costa Rica... Panama is far from a dump... It is also a multiracial country...

Old 04-05-2011, 09:57 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonenorth View Post
Umm...you may care to read more on the history of US intervention in Central America. I think that you'll find that US policies from the end of 19th century until the 1990's weakened the majority of governments in Central America and directly contributed to their current dysfunctional states.

Is ALL of the blame on the US?
No.
But a substantial portion needs to be.
I know plenty about the intervention of the US in CA. (It was me who referenced Arbenz in an above post.) But the US has also been involved plenty in South America, too. Particularly supportint revolts against the Chavez government in Venezuela, involvement in Colombia's anti-revolutionary activities, the assassination of the democratically elected Allende in Chile, and to this day sanctioning Ecuador and Bolivia for daring to elect populist presidents.

My earlier comment compared the lack of development in CA with that in SA, and if American involvement is a factor, it is equally so in South America, as well as in Central America. Although it is true, we have been somewhat more heavy-booted in CA. We once virtually annexed Nicaragua for a few years, in a deal that bears many similarities to our acquisition of Hawaii.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:25 PM

597 posts, read 1,157,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristan View Post
Italy is predominantly Catholic, and is a member of the G7.
EXCCEPTION.
"Every rule has an excepption". (sometime some exceptions)

Old 04-05-2011, 02:29 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,172,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buscape View Post
Panama has the highest economic indicators in Central America... Costa Rica gets the credit, but much of the indicators have Panama listed ahead of or close behind Costa Rica... Panama is far from a dump... It is also a multiracial country...
So is every country from Mexico to Brazil. What's your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or