U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 08:17 PM

123 posts, read 180,626 times

Advertisements

I have often been mystified by Central America: El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, and Nicaragua seem to be very poor, yet Panama and Costa Rica seem to be better off, financially.

Anyone knows the reason for this besides extreme politics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 09:22 PM

780 posts, read 1,486,555 times
Costa Rica yes, but Panama no. From my experience, I can tell you Panama is a complete dump. This may not be true for the whole country, but it's what I know. I went to the city of Colon on the Caribbean coast at the entrance to the Canal. The city is very ugly and dirty. It's full of cramped apartment buildings that look like they were built in the 1500s and nasty dirty alleyways full of mud. Most Panamanians never get any of the wealth from the canal. Just outside of Colon city is a gated community of 2 story American style houses. I was told by the tour guide only Americans/Canadians and those who had business in the duty-free zone could even afford to live there. Most Panamanians did not make that much in their lives. The houses were selling for $100k. Panama City might be better, but Colon is a complete dump.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:27 PM

17,372 posts, read 21,218,356 times
The vast majority of people in Central America (outside the high altitude areas of Guatemala) have one luxury the homeless and poor in America/Europe would die for: no fear of freezing or roasting to death anytime of the year.

And even if you have a tin-roofed shack with a little land somewhere, you've got an enviable 365 day growing period.

And another luxury they'd die for: cheap, affordable public transit via chicken buses and riding in the backs of pick-ups.

What keeps it so poor? What keeps the poor in the U.S. poor? Or the Middle East? Or any country? Same answers.

I selfishly, dispassionately love Central America they way it is and I'm fearful, some day, one of those republics, or the combined area, may bloom into being another BRIC. And that would bring my traveling days there to an end!

Old 04-02-2011, 10:31 PM

99 posts, read 332,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny come lately View Post
I have often been mystified by Central America: El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, and Nicaragua seem to be very poor, yet Panama and Costa Rica seem to be better off, financially.

Rule by tiny groups of "elites", where 40 or 50 families own 90% of the wealth of an entire nation and where the vast majority of the population are kept in abject poverty, is not conducive to either democracy or progress.

"Military aid" to such places is not helping either... as the guns of the militaries in those places are not aimed outward in defense, but are aimed inward towards the populace, to "keep them in their place".

Old 04-03-2011, 12:33 AM

22 posts, read 83,905 times
Let's see:

1) No land reform
2) Poorly run central governments
3) Endemic corruption
4) Populations larger than most of their countries can support.
5) Lack of high quality and affordable health care.
6) Poorly maintained or non-existent infrastructure
7) Poorly structured educational systems.
8) No substantial industries outside of tourism and agriculture
9) Vast inequities between classes.

And

10) The Untied States

Old 04-03-2011, 03:39 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,063,554 times
It's too hot.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:47 AM

54 posts, read 106,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny come lately View Post

Corruption and we all know that panama is practically a us puppet state,i dont know about Costa Rica,...so i think that those are the reasons...

Old 04-03-2011, 07:35 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,157,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonenorth View Post
Let's see:

1) No land reform
2) Poorly run central governments
3) Endemic corruption
4) Populations larger than most of their countries can support.
5) Lack of high quality and affordable health care.
6) Poorly maintained or non-existent infrastructure
7) Poorly structured educational systems.
8) No substantial industries outside of tourism and agriculture
9) Vast inequities between classes.

And

10) The Untied States
1-2, 4-9 all stem from the endemic corruption in these countries. And number 10 is inaccurate, it's not the United States, it's the IMF and World Bank, run by the United Nations, that keeps these nations poor and dependent.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:53 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,598,519 times
I lived there for a really, really long time. Depending on the specific country (such a Guatemala), there is a ruling elite that makes sure the general population cannot move upwards.

Even if the elite are not quite as powerful in some of these nations, they still have one thing in common: rampant corruption through all strata of society.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:59 AM

5,326 posts, read 11,041,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
Colon is a complete dump.
Is this a form of creative writing ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or