Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 06:36 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,872,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Actually they now do. Almost every one was watching the last world cup in South Africa. Loads plan to go down to Brazil, or at least did. Prices got very high.
I remember my local morning show I used to listen to while working. About a week before the World Cup in 2010 they were making soccer jokes, mocking soccer players and comparing it to American sports. After the first game they were laughing at the people who would fall down and cry if a pinky were laid on them (ok that is VERY ANNOYING, especially being a hockey fan) but as time went on and on, the jokes ended and they got really into it. They had callers and everyone was discussing soccer. It was pretty funny, I fell into that category also.. along with most people I knew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 03:05 PM

3,924 posts, read 6,735,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I remember my local morning show I used to listen to while working. About a week before the World Cup in 2010 they were making soccer jokes, mocking soccer players and comparing it to American sports. After the first game they were laughing at the people who would fall down and cry if a pinky were laid on them (ok that is VERY ANNOYING, especially being a hockey fan) but as time went on and on, the jokes ended and they got really into it. They had callers and everyone was discussing soccer. It was pretty funny, I fell into that category also.. along with most people I knew.

Basketball has much more strict rules about physical contact and fouls than soccer. So, I don't understand why Americans like so much to mock the rules of soccer.

In fact, in soccer you have more physical contact than in basketball.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:09 PM

By the way, this last episode of "The Simpsons" was funny, regardless of all the already expected stereotypes. We have a sense of humor!

Old 03-31-2014, 10:30 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,872,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Basketball has much more strict rules about physical contact and fouls than soccer. So, I don't understand why Americans like so much to mock the rules of soccer.

In fact, in soccer you have more physical contact than in basketball.
Well, we don't mock the rules of soccer. We mock the fact that the guys lay on the ground crying if someone even comes near them. It's pretty annoying to someone who grew up watching hockey.

Also, basketball isn't exactly considered a man's sport here, well in USA.. not Chile lol

Old 04-07-2014, 02:06 PM

64 posts, read 82,646 times
I guess this article answers my question about the airports I posted a few days ago, reviving this thread!

Brazil falling short in rush to overhaul World Cup airports | Reuters

I think the government made a huge mistake choosing 12 cities (12 new stadiums) to host the world cup instead of choosing 8 and then improve the infrastructure with the money of those 4 new stadiums, which would benefit all the population and tourism.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:04 PM

Relax, the airports will be OK.

The airports that couldn't be enlarged on time will receive temporary structures that will work very well (similar to the structures used in the airports of Saudi Arabia).

No one will be late for a match because remained stuck at the airport.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:50 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,067,393 times

Key & Peele: Fútbol Flop - YouTube

Old 04-09-2014, 06:10 PM

37,026 posts, read 39,106,503 times
So I have two questions:

1) Will there be any issues with infrastructure during the games that would affect people coming in for the games? This doesn't mean that there has to be a catastrophic failure, but just if there seems to be any issues that would be problematic in any sense.

2) To what extent were the originally promised infrastructural improvements and changes in regards to the bid Brazil made will be done?

Old 04-11-2014, 03:08 PM

64 posts, read 82,646 times
It is hard to predict. They are already announcing the airports won't be ready and people should expect delays, last minute change of gates, etc. On the other hand most Brazilians will avoid to fly for businesses or vacation during the world cup, so that will help.

The same goes with traffic. Brazil doesn't have trains connecting cities, metro is limited depending on the city, traffic jam can be a real problem. I heard from my friends some cities (if not all) will consider holiday during the Brazilians games, so to avoid all the commuting traffic and make it easier for the tourists.

The government had promised to build a train connecting Sao Paulo and Rio and I think that got canceled. Someone can answer that better I guess. A lot of the promised infrastructure got canceled or will be finished after the world cup.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:12 PM

37,026 posts, read 39,106,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcatwood View Post
It is hard to predict. They are already announcing the airports won't be ready and people should expect delays, last minute change of gates, etc. On the other hand most Brazilians will avoid to fly for businesses or vacation during the world cup, so that will help.

The same goes with traffic. Brazil doesn't have trains connecting cities, metro is limited depending on the city, traffic jam can be a real problem. I heard from my friends some cities (if not all) will consider holiday during the Brazilians games, so to avoid all the commuting traffic and make it easier for the tourists.

The government had promised to build a train connecting Sao Paulo and Rio and I think that got canceled. Someone can answer that better I guess. A lot of the promised infrastructure got canceled or will be finished after the world cup.
Wait, there isn't a train between Sao Paulo and Rio? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas