U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 12:31 AM

117 posts, read 227,644 times

Advertisements

I have been living in Thailand for the last 9 months doing study abroad, and I do enjoy it, but I want to experience something new so next semester I am considering going to Nicaragua to do study abroad.

Is Nicaragua safer or as safe as Thailand? Please let me know your thoughts.

And I easily adjust to new surroundings so that will not be a problem....

How is the cost of living there compared to the US?

And other details?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 01:17 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,165,304 times
Nicaragua? I don't know too much about it besides what you hear in Puerto Rico and generally it's not the nicest of places and it apparantly has half the homicide rate of Puerto Rico but I take Latin American statistics outside of Puerto Rico with a grain of salt, since a rule of thumb among Latin Americans is that we don't see the police the same as Americans do and crime being under reported in Latin America is a problem.

Have a read on this site. It's the U.S. Department of State's analysis of Nicaragua http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...985.html#crime

Old 04-20-2011, 01:49 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massflorida View Post
I have been living in Thailand for the last 9 months doing study abroad, and I do enjoy it, but I want to experience something new so next semester I am considering going to Nicaragua to do study abroad.

Is Nicaragua safer or as safe as Thailand? Please let me know your thoughts.

And I easily adjust to new surroundings so that will not be a problem....

How is the cost of living there compared to the US?

And other details?

Thanks!
I spent 10 months in South America, never made it to Nicaragua.

I've been to Thailand a small handful of times. Thailand is very safe compared to anywhere in Latin America. I didn't go to Nicaragua, but even the safest of Latin American cities and countries, still felt more dangerous than Thailand. (Most of Asia, including Thailand, are the kind of places that you just rarely if ever feel threatened or have to be hyper aware of your surroundings). In Latin America, just like most of the U.S., you do have to be aware of your surroundings particularly at nighttime.

Cost of living in Nicaragua is quite a bit lower than the U.S.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 04-20-2011 at 02:29 AM..

Old 04-20-2011, 02:12 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,228,275 times
Nicaragua will be a lot more dangerous than Thailand. Don't go there unless you speak good Spanish. When you're in Latin America, you have to remember than anything can happen at any time. You have to be very aware of your surroundings or you can get your butt burned fast.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:44 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,054,650 times
I do not agree with the statement that Nicaragua is dangerous. People that think that tend to be people that never visited the country. I was there 10 years ago with a group of other students and nothing happened to us. Yes, you have to be careful in Managua. It is not off-limits, just go with someone that knows the city. I am sure even in Managua the biggest threat to life and limb is from the local driving habits! Outside, Managua the country is pretty safe. I walked around Grenada and San Juan del Sur on my own and no one thought anything of it. I did hear that parts of the Miskito Coast are now slightly dangerous due to narcos traveling through. But that is only in remote areas that see no tourists. Like I said, except for parts of Managua and remote portions of the Miskito Coast, Nicaragua was definetly safe enough for us.

As for cost of living, it is one of the most inexpensive countries in the Americas. One hour long bus ride might even cost you less than one US dollar! It is inexpensive even compared to Costa Rica and other Central American countries.

Now I am not saying that everything will be perfect while traveling in Nicaragua. The poverty rate there is really serious, only Haiti and maybe Honduras are poorer in the Western Hemisphere. So Nicaragua will seem very under-developed even compared to Thailand. However, if you can adapt to life in Thailand, you shouldn't have any problems adapting to life in Nicaragua.

As someone who actually has been to Nicaragua, I do recommend it as a place to spend some time. Go for it and do not listen to people that have never been there before.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:45 PM

17,386 posts, read 21,228,976 times
Depending on where you live in Nicaragua, and given you've spent time in SE Asia with their stifling heat and humidity, their climate shouldn't be a big concern then.

I was there 5 years ago, but being a heat/humidity sissy, I avoided Managua and gravitated to the higher altitude areas, the area around Matagalpa/Jinotega, which is beautiful, with that wrap around mountain effect.

I never felt unsafe in Nicaragua, while there, riding the chicken buses everywhere. Ditto for El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala.

It's centrally located enough, where you can travel on to overly-hyped Costa Rica and under-valued Honduras.

Last edited by tijlover; 04-26-2011 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 04-26-2011, 10:40 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,765,694 times
nicaragua is much more dangerous than thailand, i don't even understand why you would ask such a question, this should be fairly obvious. that doesn't, however, mean you will encounter any problems - just as the posters above didn't have any problems. you just have to be more cautious.

living costs are highly variable. some people spend even more money in underdeveloped countries than they do in developed/developing countries. it all depends on your personal preferences/what you spend your money on.

i haven't been to nicaragua in around seven years so i can't really give you up to date info. i personally liked the country, but i like all the countries i've been to in central america.

have fun whatever you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or