U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:52 PM

2,566 posts, read 4,653,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Just viewed some photos of RECIFE/OLINDA....beautiful colonial architecture, for sure! Very impressive!

I'll have to look into Aquiraz as well. It's quite a bit smaller than Olinda, I'd imagine?

Yes, the town of Aquiraz is much smaller than Olinda, and has way less colonial buildings than Olinda. But it's worth a visit when traveling to Fortaleza...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 09:49 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,392,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Up in the northeast of Brazil....the two biggest cities with beaches and such are Recife and Fortaleza.

Recife seems to be a largely well-populated city. But, it seems for tourist, Fortaleza outshines it?

It also seems that Recife has a bit higher crime than Fortaleza? What are the attractions for people to move to relocate to Recife over say Fortaleza?

Or, do most people in Brazil, just generally prefer Fortaleza for whatever reasons?

Just looking for a comparison between the two cities, and what makes them similar or differences. City and urban structure, people-wise, music wise, beach-wise, etc.

Thanks in advance to the many Brazilians on board, and the rest of us non-Brazilians equally interested or curious about Brazil!

And for that matter, how would you compare Recife and Fortaleza to Rio de Jainero (in general). I did spend time in Rio, and an amazingly beautiful city, although crime and fravelas seem more troubled there than elsewhere in Brazil. Do Fortaleza or Recife lack the larger fravels of Rio? I think I've read that Recife has some fravela similarities to Rio...but not sure.
Not trying to put Recife down, and I liked it, but I feel there are better cities to go to in Brazil. Recife is kinda rundown, and the beaches are great but no one was in the water due to fears of sharks. The city has all these canals that could be beautiful, BUT they are full of trash and sewage. It does have lots of nice historical buildings, but I found Salvador better in that area. Recife has a lot of poverty in it, and in the short time there I saw so many people high on what I assume could only be glue based off how they were acting.

I am not putting Recife down like I said. I enjoyed my visit there, and outside of it are some WONDERFUl beaches. Still I feel it is a city with a lot of problems, but things are improving there and I feel one day it will be a great city.

Never been to Fortaleza but I know a lot of people who LOVE it.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:18 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Not trying to put Recife down, and I liked it, but I feel there are better cities to go to in Brazil. Recife is kinda rundown, and the beaches are great but no one was in the water due to fears of sharks. The city has all these canals that could be beautiful, BUT they are full of trash and sewage. It does have lots of nice historical buildings, but I found Salvador better in that area. Recife has a lot of poverty in it, and in the short time there I saw so many people high on what I assume could only be glue based off how they were acting.

I am not putting Recife down like I said. I enjoyed my visit there, and outside of it are some WONDERFUl beaches. Still I feel it is a city with a lot of problems, but things are improving there and I feel one day it will be a great city.

Never been to Fortaleza but I know a lot of people who LOVE it.
It does explain things though. Seldom have I heard anyone rave about Recife. However, I've met plenty who've really enjoyed spending time in cities like Fortaleza, Salvador, Rio, etc. So there must be an explanation for that...

The little things like that, certainly would make a difference to whether a person wants to spend time somewhere. Particularly when other nearby cities keep outshining it in those departments.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:04 AM

Jennifer Lopez in Fortaleza last night:

Inauguration of the new Events Center, the second largest in Latin America.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:40 AM

Official video of FIFA about Fortaleza, one of the World Cup 2014 host cities.

The video is correctly named "Where Brazilians go for holiday"

Old 08-24-2012, 06:47 AM

Fortaleza on Google Street View:

That's a nice start point for a "tour" in Fortaleza using Google Street View.

Here is the direct link to that location: Google Maps

Enjoy the tour!

Old 08-27-2012, 10:00 AM

Placido Domingo, the Spanish tenor, came to Fortaleza this past August 15th for a presentation in the official opening of the new Events Centre:

(Jennifer Lopez in June was just a "test". Yeah, we use Jennifer Lopez for "tests" here in Fortaleza! )

By the way, this is the new Events Centre (the second largest in Latin America):

Old 09-01-2012, 05:24 PM

497 posts, read 873,984 times
Fortaleza is definitely and up and coming city, as many new things and developments are happening there. Fortaleza is much more safe. MUCH MORE.

Recife is very dangerous. Make no mistake.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:32 PM

This weekend, Fortaleza was home to the 2012 edition of its yearly Ceará Music festival...

Ceará Music happens in Fortaleza every year, and this 2012 edition featured several of Brazil's nationwide known bands and also many international bands and artists like Evanescence, Ali Campbell (UB40), Simple Plan, the rapper Pitbull, and Mick Hucknall (Simply Red).

Evanescence at Ceará Music 2012 in Fortaleza:

Simple Plan at Ceará Music 2012 in Fortaleza:

Ali Campbell (UB40) at Ceará Music 2012 in Fortaleza:

Pitbull at Ceará Music 2012 in Fortaleza:

Mick Hucknall (Simply Red) at Ceará Music 2012 in Fortaleza:

The 2012 edition of Ceará Music was great!

Can't wait for 2013!

-----------------------------

EDIT:

Just to add that, no matter how many international bands and artists come to Ceará Music (and they are REALLY welcome), the real "kings" of Ceará Music will always be the Brazilian band Biquini Cavadão!

Once again, Biquini Cavadão leads the crowd during the dawn and the sunrise at Ceará Music, with nobody wanting to go away, even after the whole night of party:

Biquini Cavadão, the kings of Ceará Music, forever!

Last edited by MalaMan; 10-14-2012 at 05:10 PM..

Old 10-21-2012, 02:52 PM

196 posts, read 360,043 times
I prefer Recife, but it's old downtown was left to die I think...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or