U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 07:57 AM

2,568 posts, read 4,653,986 times

Advertisements

If anyone still thinks there is something "boring" about Fortaleza, I invite you to "Twist And Shout" in Fortaleza, in a party in the Federal University:

But some people can get no satisfaction:

PS.: "Rubber Soul" is a Beatles cover band from Fortaleza, that occasionally also plays songs from Rolling Stones and The Who...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
A little bit of the Pre-Carnival of Fortaleza:

By the way, the pre-carnival of 2013 is coming!!

The next few weekends until the Carnival will be party-hard weekends!!

Old 01-06-2013, 12:27 PM

758 posts, read 1,961,847 times
Quote:
The "Fortal" is the "out of season Carnival", a tradition of many Brazilian cities. Each "out of season Carnival" (also known as "micareta") of each city happens in a different time of the year. In the case of Fortaleza it's in the last week of July. It's a four-nights party, with "ax" bands that come from Salvador (the same bands that do the "regular" Carnival in Salvador).

I wanted to ask you about this Mala. I was in Rio a couple of weeks ago and met a couple Nordestinos...and I asked them about Fortal and ALL of them said that it's fun, but major safety issues and that I was better off going to Fortaleza at another time.

But prior to him, every single Nordestino told me it is way better than Carnival in Rio, it's more Brazilian, it's a lot of fun.... experiences?

Old 01-07-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
I wanted to ask you about this Mala. I was in Rio a couple of weeks ago and met a couple Nordestinos...and I asked them about Fortal and ALL of them said that it's fun, but major safety issues and that I was better off going to Fortaleza at another time.

But prior to him, every single Nordestino told me it is way better than Carnival in Rio, it's more Brazilian, it's a lot of fun.... experiences?

I confess I'm not a big fan of Fortal, because I'm not a big fan of "ax music" from Bahia...

But for those who like "ax music" and micaretas, it's a nice event. It happens in a very large walled area close to Praia do Futuro, and people must pay to enter, even if they don't go to any of the "blocos" (that are even more expensive - a lot more - to join).

I don't think there are major safety issues related to Fortal. Only minor occurrences. Thousands of people go every year, and I never heard about any major safety issue.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
If you want to see a little glimpse of the nightlife and cultural life in Fortaleza, I recommend that you check the Youtube channel of user tvdivirtace1, at this link:

tvdivirtace1's Channel - YouTube

The channel has more than 800 (eight hundred) videos uploaded so far, showing a small fraction of the nightlife and cultural life in Fortaleza.

Wow, now the guy already has 1,097 videos uploaded on his channel!

It's really a nice compilation of the nightlife and cultural life of Fortaleza (even if only of a very small part of it )

Old 05-05-2013, 07:58 AM

nice new video of Fortaleza:

Old 05-06-2013, 01:42 AM

986 posts, read 3,459,493 times
Recife is good...Olinda even greater, but I still prefer Fortaleza. That city has advanced so much in the last years and last 1-2 decades. Very interesting to visit, loads of things to go sightseeing, events and other stuff...

It's also much safer. Recife I think it's not as bad as it once was but safety wise it is still troubling at best. My uncle had his car vandalized just within a few weeks of livin there - not to mention the dreadful things that an old friend sees there.

Slightly unrelated...but MalaMan is lucky, such a great city...I'm tempted to forget about Rio and its darn high cost of living, go back with ma and live near her side of my family who lives there.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobMAX View Post
Recife is good...Olinda even greater, but I still prefer Fortaleza. That city has advanced so much in the last years and last 1-2 decades. Very interesting to visit, loads of things to go sightseeing, events and other stuff...

It's also much safer. Recife I think it's not as bad as it once was but safety wise it is still troubling at best. My uncle had his car vandalized just within a few weeks of livin there - not to mention the dreadful things that an old friend sees there.

Slightly unrelated...but MalaMan is lucky, such a great city...I'm tempted to forget about Rio and its darn high cost of living, go back with ma and live near her side of my family who lives there.

I have to confess I feel VERY lucky for being born in Fortaleza. What a lucky bastard I am... If reincarnation really exists, I hope I can be born in Fortaleza again in my next life!

Of course not everyone will agree Fortaleza is a great city, because different people have different preferences and views, and Fortaleza is far from being a "perfect city" (even because the definition of "perfect" can vary from person to person). But for me, there's no better place to live. I have traveled to other places, and never felt any desire to move from Fortaleza. I think that if I move to another place, I would get depressed after 3 months, because I would miss Fortaleza too much...

Fortaleza has many bad aspects too, but put the good and bad in a balance, and it leans sharply to the good side... At least for me...

Old 05-07-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:

ABBA in Fortaleza:

Sorry, I should have written ABBA The Show, the famous German cover band of ABBA

Old 05-07-2013, 06:35 AM

We are 40 days away from the FIFA Confederations Cup in Brazil, and both Fortaleza and Recife will be host cities...

Nice opportunity for the world to see both cities...

And a preview and a test for the much greater FIFA World Cup in 2014.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or