Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 09:15 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Too bad for your parents.

But I don't blame them, they left the country in a hard time, before the left-wing came into power to fix the country, and make it shine.
Brazil ranks #75 for the UN Human Development Index (inequality adjusted) BEHIND Jamaica and virtually on par with problem plagued nations like Guyana, Suriname and the DR.

Can you tell me again why Brazil is a "paradise". Those small nations lack Brazil's tremendous resources or international clout.

Indeed within South America Brazil is only significantly ahead of the notoriously impoverished Bolivia and Paraguay.

It is well BEHIND nations like Chile and Argentina.

I suspect even your president will admit that Brazil is hardly a paradise and has huge problems tied to its legacy of massive corruption, cronyism and inequality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 08:11 AM

3,983 posts, read 6,791,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Quite a few young people are also leaving the country and not looking back. They are fed up with the corruption and insecurity.
Exactly: quite a FEW.

VERY few.

Very, very, very few.

Statistics for the past 5 years clearly show that the flux of Brazilians who used to live abroad RETURNING to Brazil is greater than the flux of Brazilians going to live abroad.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Brazil ranks #75 for the UN Human Development Index (inequality adjusted) BEHIND Jamaica and virtually on par with problem plagued nations like Guyana, Suriname and the DR.

Can you tell me again why Brazil is a "paradise". Those small nations lack Brazil's tremendous resources or international clout.

Indeed within South America Brazil is only significantly ahead of the notoriously impoverished Bolivia and Paraguay.

It is well BEHIND nations like Chile and Argentina.

I suspect even your president will admit that Brazil is hardly a paradise and has huge problems tied to its legacy of massive corruption, cronyism and inequality.

Brazil is a paradise.

Even a paradise has problems. The "First World" nations also have a LOT of their own kind of problems.

And if you want to discuss the HDI ranking, all you need to know is that the Brazilian government recently PROVED on a press conference that the United Nations is using OUTDATED statistics of Brazil to compose the Human Development Index of Brazil, while using up-to-date statistics for other countries. And by the way, the United Nations ADMITTED to doing so. But didn't give a reasonable exaplanation for WHY they keep doing it YEAR AFTER YEAR, even with the complaints of the Brazilian government. The UN just say: "yeah, we admit we're using outdated statistics of Brazil to compose their HDI, but... but... uhn... errr... but..."

Old 07-30-2014, 08:23 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
Quote:
Exactly: quite a FEW.

VERY few.

Very, very, very few.

Statistics for the past 5 years clearly show that the flux of Brazilians who used to live abroad RETURNING to Brazil is greater than the flux of Brazilians going to live abroad.
Look, I like Brazil, could possibly live there in the future. However, unless you have a very good job, life is tough there. There are some great places to live that are relatively safe, but it is not a paradise like you like to paint it. I have many family and friends who have left due to high cost of living and the insecurity.

There is still much work to be done. At least Brazilians are being vocal about the issues, that is good. It pressures society to make changes.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Look, I like Brazil, could possibly live there in the future. However, unless you have a very good job, life is tough there. There are some great places to live that are relatively safe, but it is not a paradise like you like to paint it. I have many family and friends who have left due to high cost of living and the insecurity.

There is still much work to be done. At least Brazilians are being vocal about the issues, that is good. It pressures society to make changes.
Brazilians are not "being vocal" about "the issues". What are you talking about?

Are you talking about the ridiculous, senseless protests during the Confederations Cup in June 2013, when around 1% of the population went to the streets without even knowing why they were protesting, just because it was a "Facebook fad", a kind of "flash mob"? That was a long time ago, dear. More than one year ago... The protests DISAPPEARED shortly after that. By September 2013, only a few hundreds of anarchists were still protesting, and during the World Cup in June 2014, there was only ONE small protest in just one city, in the first days.

Brazilians are so HAPPY about their lives, that the current President will SURELY be re-elected, and probably in the first round of the elections, in the coming October. And Brazilian elections are well known to be VERY clean and fair, without even a glimpse of fraud. One of the most fair and transparent election process in the whole world.

Why would Brazilians be "vocal" when the country experiences ULTRA-LOW UNEMPLOYMENT RATE, together with EVER RAISING WAGES, and low, under control, inflation?

People don't need to have a "very good job" in Brazil to enjoy a great life. I don't have a "very good job" and I enjoy my life a lot. I know people here who work as receptionists and have traveled to the Disney World in Orlando.

You are very, very, very poorly informed about life in Brazil, SPECIALLY about life of the Brazilian working class. Or maybe your information is just outdated, like... 8 or 10 years outdated...

Old 07-30-2014, 05:21 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,814 times
Quote:
Brazilians are so HAPPY about their lives, that the current President will SURELY be re-elected, and probably in the first round of the elections, in the coming October.
This is total and complete bull****. Most of my Brazilian friends who are middle/upper-middle class and educated HATE this Dilma Administration.

Dilma is very popular with the poor, the uneducated and the ignorant. I mean, look at the regions of Brazil where she is most popular in and it is overwhelmingly in the Northeast and the North of Brazil- the two least developed regions of the country.

I don't know many intelligent, educated Brazilians who are happy with their current lives and this Administration.

Actually, most of my friends who are middle/upper middle class and educated would leave Brazil in a heartbeat if they had a decent job offer here or in Europe.

Last edited by Repubocrat; 07-30-2014 at 05:31 PM..

Old 08-01-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
This is total and complete bull****. Most of my Brazilian friends who are middle/upper-middle class and educated HATE this Dilma Administration.

Dilma is very popular with the poor, the uneducated and the ignorant. I mean, look at the regions of Brazil where she is most popular in and it is overwhelmingly in the Northeast and the North of Brazil- the two least developed regions of the country.

I don't know many intelligent, educated Brazilians who are happy with their current lives and this Administration.

Actually, most of my friends who are middle/upper middle class and educated would leave Brazil in a heartbeat if they had a decent job offer here or in Europe.

Funny, because here in Ceara there are PLENTY of middle class educated people who LOVE the Dilma administration.

In Rio de Janeiro, there are also PLENTY of middle class educated people who LOVE the Dilma administration.

You friends are probably from *THOSE STATES* (I won't mention which) where people are ignorant and arrogant racists who THINK they are "well-informed" but are actually brainwashed puppets HALF-informed and ILL-informed by the distorted news of a conservative media. People in *THOSE STATES* are mostly self-hating Brazilians, and they think they are "superior" to someone else. Fortunately, the majority of Brazilians don't give a s**t about the opinions of those pathetic ignorant racists who THINK that are "well-informed" and "educated".

Old 08-01-2014, 01:21 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
[quote=MalaMan;35900271]Funny, because here in Ceara there are PLENTY of middle class educated people who LOVE the Dilma administration.

In Rio de Janeiro, there are also PLENTY of middle class educated people who LOVE the Dilma administration.

You friends are probably from *THOSE STATES* (I won't mention which) where people are ignorant and arrogant racists who [quote]

Pointing figures at who is racist. The condition of the black Brazilian is dire in all of Brazil. It some how will not surprise me if a larger population of black professionals exists in Sao Paulo (relative to their representation in the overall population) than in other parts of Brazil. Folks driven by money might be less interested in ancestry, appearance or family ties.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:47 AM

News from the IRONMAN international triathlon competition yesterday in Fortaleza:

Chura and Manocchio in Fine Form in Fortaleza

Guilherme Manocchio claims an IRONMAN title in his home country, while Haley Chura was a dominating force in the women’s race.

by Shawn Skene

Patience on the run pays dividends for Manocchio

Luiz Francisco (BRA) nudged out Balazs Csoke as the lead pair ran across the timing mat in just under 50 minutes in the non-wetsuit race. Fabio Carvalho (BRA), Ivan Risti (ITA), Bryan Rhodes (NZL), Eneko Llanos (ESP) and Thiago Vinhal (BRA) scrambled into T1 two minutes later as a pack.

Once the men hit the pavement on two wheels, a strong group worked together to move forward and control the pace. That group contained race contenders Guilherme Manocchio (BRA), Daniel Fontana (ITA), Rhodes, Llanos and Csoke and Francisco. Nearing the last half of the 180 km bike, Llanos showed his impatience for the pace, and then surged to the lead that would eventually result in the multiple IRONMAN champion carrying a five minute advantage on Manocchio, Rhodes, Fontana and Csoke into T2.

Once on the run, Llanos continued to push the pace for the first 11 km, and place Manocchio six minutes down, while the remainder of the field fell out of contention. After the initial surge, Manocchio started to methodically claw his way towards the leader. As the race was in the closing km’s it was apparent the Llanos was faltering and with seven km’s remaining on the run, Manocchio made a strong pass and immediately pulled away Llanos without any resistance.

more on: https://www.k226.com/news/newsitem.aspx?id=7330
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas