U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-20-2011, 02:04 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,687 posts, read 34,675,136 times
Reputation: 9219

Advertisements

Up in the northeast of Brazil....the two biggest cities with beaches and such are Recife and Fortaleza.

Recife seems to be a largely well-populated city. But, it seems for tourist, Fortaleza outshines it?

It also seems that Recife has a bit higher crime than Fortaleza? What are the attractions for people to move to relocate to Recife over say Fortaleza?

Or, do most people in Brazil, just generally prefer Fortaleza for whatever reasons?

Just looking for a comparison between the two cities, and what makes them similar or differences. City and urban structure, people-wise, music wise, beach-wise, etc.

Thanks in advance to the many Brazilians on board, and the rest of us non-Brazilians equally interested or curious about Brazil!

And for that matter, how would you compare Recife and Fortaleza to Rio de Jainero (in general). I did spend time in Rio, and an amazingly beautiful city, although crime and fravelas seem more troubled there than elsewhere in Brazil. Do Fortaleza or Recife lack the larger fravels of Rio? I think I've read that Recife has some fravela similarities to Rio...but not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-20-2011, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
2,544 posts, read 4,438,466 times
Reputation: 1538
My friend Tiger Beer, as a proud resident of Fortaleza, it's a pleasure to me help you with this doubt, even if probably I'm a little suspicious to do it, because my opinion will hardly be completely unbiased.

Fortaleza and Recife share many things in common, as both are big cities in the Northeast, but also have many differences.

The municipality of Fortaleza has a larger population than the municipality of Recife. Fortaleza has 2,447,409 inhabitants, and Recife has 1,536,934 inhabitants.

However, when comparing the populations of the Metropolitan Areas, Recife Metro Area has a slightly larger population, with 3,688,428 inhabitants, while Fortaleza Metro Area has 3,610,379 inhabitants.

Well. To be honest, I think Fortaleza is a best touristic destination than Recife. And it's not only me who think like that: Fortaleza ranks as the number 4 city in Brazil for domestic tourists (not including foreigners), and is in the first place in the Northeast Region, ahead of both Recife and Salvador (here is my source, in Portuguese: Fortaleza é o quarto destino mais procurado - Negócios - Diário do Nordeste).

And note that ranking includes not only "leisure tourism", but also "business and events tourism". I think that, if the ranking excluded "business and events tourism", and only focused on "leisure tourism", Fortaleza maybe would surpass Sao Paulo and Brasilia, and take the second position nationwide, only behind Rio de Janeiro.

In my personal opinion, the beaches of the State of Ceará, whose capital is Fortaleza are more beautiful than the beaches in the State of Pernambuco, whose capital is Recife. Pernambuco has many beautiful beaches too, but I think Ceará "wins" this "duel".

Well, Recife "wins" in some aspects, I have to admit. Recife has much more historical buildings, and architectonic heritage. Neighbor to Recife there is the old colonial town of Olinda, full of colorful old colonial buildings. Fortaleza has far less historical buildings (altough it has a neighbor colonial town too, the town of Aquiraz, that, unfortunately, is not as visited by tourists as it should be - at least not the old downtown, since the beaches of Aquiraz are always full of tourists).

When you talk about Carnival, Recife wins by far. If you're thinking about visiting the Northeast of Brazil during the Carnival, in February, the place to go is Recife. Recife's Carnival is the best in Brazil, in my opinion. Better than Salvador and Recife. Fortaleza has a very weak Carnival, can't even be compared to Recife's. In fact, many residents of Fortaleza travel to Recife during the Carnival! I did it some times!

Well, I think I was far enough giving Recife its credits.

But I still think Fortaleza is a better destination (except in February, during the Carnival).

About crime: yes, Recife has slightly higher crime rates, although the difference is not so big. In both cities you need to have some attention, and, as a tourist, should not go to certain areas alone.

But in comparison to Rio de Janeiro, both are calmer cities. Both cities have favelas, but the favelas are not close to the touristic areas like in Rio. And the favelas are not in hills (except by "Serviluz" in Fortaleza), but in plain areas. And both cities don't have "organized crime" like Rio de Janeiro, there are no powerful drug dealers gangs, armed with heavy weaponry, such as those in some hills of Rio de Janeiro.

Wow, I wrote a lot already!

Any doubt, please, make more questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2011, 08:57 AM
 
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
659 posts, read 930,742 times
Reputation: 451
None of them. If I were you, after thinking a lot and still planning to travel Northeast, I'd choose Natal. It's a warmer and more safe city to go. A mix of Fortaleza/Recife. It's known as "sun city", 'cause of its 300 sunny days. It's also the most safety capital of Brazil, and 14th of all cities. Not ot mention its dunes, of a brightly white color. Go there and you won't regret that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2011, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
2,544 posts, read 4,438,466 times
Reputation: 1538
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
None of them. If I were you, after thinking a lot and still planning to travel Northeast, I'd choose Natal. It's a warmer and more safe city to go. A mix of Fortaleza/Recife. It's known as "sun city", 'cause of its 300 sunny days. It's also the most safety capital of Brazil, and 14th of all cities. Not ot mention its dunes, of a brightly white color. Go there and you won't regret that.
Natal is very great too. But, as a smaller city, it has less options of leisure and nightlife than Fortaleza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 05:21 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,687 posts, read 34,675,136 times
Reputation: 9219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
My friend Tiger Beer, as a proud resident of Fortaleza, it's a pleasure to me help you with this doubt, even if probably I'm a little suspicious to do it, because my opinion will hardly be completely unbiased.

Fortaleza and Recife share many things in common, as both are big cities in the Northeast, but also have many differences.

The municipality of Fortaleza has a larger population than the municipality of Recife. Fortaleza has 2,447,409 inhabitants, and Recife has 1,536,934 inhabitants.

However, when comparing the populations of the Metropolitan Areas, Recife Metro Area has a slightly larger population, with 3,688,428 inhabitants, while Fortaleza Metro Area has 3,610,379 inhabitants.

Well. To be honest, I think Fortaleza is a best touristic destination than Recife. And it's not only me who think like that: Fortaleza ranks as the number 4 city in Brazil for domestic tourists (not including foreigners), and is in the first place in the Northeast Region, ahead of both Recife and Salvador (here is my source, in Portuguese: Fortaleza é o quarto destino mais procurado - Negócios - Diário do Nordeste).

And note that ranking includes not only "leisure tourism", but also "business and events tourism". I think that, if the ranking excluded "business and events tourism", and only focused on "leisure tourism", Fortaleza maybe would surpass Sao Paulo and Brasilia, and take the second position nationwide, only behind Rio de Janeiro.

In my personal opinion, the beaches of the State of Ceará, whose capital is Fortaleza are more beautiful than the beaches in the State of Pernambuco, whose capital is Recife. Pernambuco has many beautiful beaches too, but I think Ceará "wins" this "duel".

Well, Recife "wins" in some aspects, I have to admit. Recife has much more historical buildings, and architectonic heritage. Neighbor to Recife there is the old colonial town of Olinda, full of colorful old colonial buildings. Fortaleza has far less historical buildings (altough it has a neighbor colonial town too, the town of Aquiraz, that, unfortunately, is not as visited by tourists as it should be - at least not the old downtown, since the beaches of Aquiraz are always full of tourists).

When you talk about Carnival, Recife wins by far. If you're thinking about visiting the Northeast of Brazil during the Carnival, in February, the place to go is Recife. Recife's Carnival is the best in Brazil, in my opinion. Better than Salvador and Recife. Fortaleza has a very weak Carnival, can't even be compared to Recife's. In fact, many residents of Fortaleza travel to Recife during the Carnival! I did it some times!

Well, I think I was far enough giving Recife its credits.

But I still think Fortaleza is a better destination (except in February, during the Carnival).

About crime: yes, Recife has slightly higher crime rates, although the difference is not so big. In both cities you need to have some attention, and, as a tourist, should not go to certain areas alone.

But in comparison to Rio de Janeiro, both are calmer cities. Both cities have favelas, but the favelas are not close to the touristic areas like in Rio. And the favelas are not in hills (except by "Serviluz" in Fortaleza), but in plain areas. And both cities don't have "organized crime" like Rio de Janeiro, there are no powerful drug dealers gangs, armed with heavy weaponry, such as those in some hills of Rio de Janeiro.

Wow, I wrote a lot already!

Any doubt, please, make more questions!
Thank you for the very thorough response!

Regarding Fortaleza and Carnival....I believe FORTAL is their big Carnival, but it's out of season, right? So, in some ways, they probably attract quite a few people from everywhere else, making that bigger, plus they can go to Recife as well Smart people there!!

As another side..thinking of Rio's hillsides and favelas. Does Fortaleza or Recife have the hillsides? Or is it generally quite flat up around those cities?

From looking at photos, it seems like I recall Fortaleza seeming flat, with a ton of highrises littering the sky absolutely everywhere, especially near the beaches and coastline!

Thanks again for the previous thorough response, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
2,544 posts, read 4,438,466 times
Reputation: 1538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Thank you for the very thorough response!

Regarding Fortaleza and Carnival....I believe FORTAL is their big Carnival, but it's out of season, right? So, in some ways, they probably attract quite a few people from everywhere else, making that bigger, plus they can go to Recife as well Smart people there!!

As another side..thinking of Rio's hillsides and favelas. Does Fortaleza or Recife have the hillsides? Or is it generally quite flat up around those cities?

From looking at photos, it seems like I recall Fortaleza seeming flat, with a ton of highrises littering the sky absolutely everywhere, especially near the beaches and coastline!

Thanks again for the previous thorough response, as well.

Yes, Fortaleza is known for both the "Pre-Carnival" and the "Fortal".

Fortaleza has the best "Pre-Carnival" in Brazil. The Pre-Carnival are street parties that happen every Saturday, at afternoon / evening / night, in the 4 or 5 weekends prior to the Carnival. That means: 4 or 5 Saturdays of party! Lots of samba and frevo!

During the "real" Carnival itself, Fortaleza has not a big tradition. Most people go to parties in the several beach villages and towns, that are more than 150 or 200 kilometers away from Fortaleza. Lots of people also go to the Carnival in Recife or in Salvador.

The "Fortal" is the "out of season Carnival", a tradition of many Brazilian cities. Each "out of season Carnival" (also known as "micareta") of each city happens in a different time of the year. In the case of Fortaleza it's in the last week of July. It's a four-nights party, with "axé" bands that come from Salvador (the same bands that do the "regular" Carnival in Salvador).




About hillsides... Fortaleza and Recife have very few of it. Unlike Rio de Janeiro, Fortaleza and Recife are mostly flat cities.

In the case of Fortaleza, there is only one hill, and yes, there is a favela in this hill. It's called Serviluz, and it's close to the port. The rest of the city is totally flat.




And about the highrises in Fortaleza, yes, thousands of them, mostly residential condos, forming a very dense cluster.

Here is a pic:

http://www.best-beaches.com/images/f...eza-images.jpg
source: Fortaleza

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-01-2014 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: edited for copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 05:04 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,096,494 times
Reputation: 1758
Recife is historic, but also kinda rundown and slummy. The canals are full of sewage and stink. It does have beaches in the city, but when I was there no one would get into the water for fear of sharks. There are signs every 20 feet warning about sharks.

The beaches just outside of Recife, like Porto Do Galinhas are awesome. Cheap too.

Fortaleza doesnt have the history of Recife, but I hear it has good beaches. A lot of Brazilians tell me it is boring.

Salvador is historic and has good beaches. It is in the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 07:16 AM
 
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
2,544 posts, read 4,438,466 times
Reputation: 1538
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Recife is historic, but also kinda rundown and slummy. The canals are full of sewage and stink. It does have beaches in the city, but when I was there no one would get into the water for fear of sharks. There are signs every 20 feet warning about sharks.

The beaches just outside of Recife, like Porto Do Galinhas are awesome. Cheap too.

Fortaleza doesnt have the history of Recife, but I hear it has good beaches. A lot of Brazilians tell me it is boring.

Salvador is historic and has good beaches. It is in the Northeast.


Fortaleza is boring? LMAO!! Maybe this is the reason why Fortaleza is the second most visited place by domestic Brazilian tourists who seek leisure travel, only behind Rio de Janeiro...


Fortaleza has one of the best nightlifes in Brazil, with tons of bars, nightclubs and music concerts. The "Dragão do Mar Cultural Centre" is "boiling" with people every night, and it's just one of the areas that concentrate the nightlife of the city, there are many others.


For Brazilian tourists, who can understand Portuguese, Fortaleza has the additional attractiveness of being the "national capital of comedy". The people of Fortaleza is known for their good humor, and many of the most famous comedians in Brazil come from Fortaleza, like Chico Anisio, Tom Cavalcante and Wellington Muniz, just to name a few... The city has dozens of comedy shows happening every night, everywhere, even at pizza restaurants!


In the Fortaleza Metro Area is located the biggest waterpark of Latin America, the "Beach Park", located at the seaside, that receives hundreds of thousands of visitors every year.


There is a urban beach in Fortaleza called "Praia do Futuro" that has a very good infrastructure of dozens of good restaurants located directly over the sand of the beach. Some of those restaurants are almost "beach clubs", with swimming pools and saunas. The seafood in those restaurants is simply delicious. The crabs are amazing.


And outside of Fortaleza there are the hundreds of stunning, awesome, amazing beaches of the State of Ceara, with beautiful sand dunes and lots of fun. Some of the most beautiful beaches of the world are located in the coast of the State of Ceara, like Jericoacoara. And just 30 kilometers west of Fortaleza is located the beach of Cumbuco, that is a world renowned kitesurfing "mecca".


It's true that Fortaleza doesn't have much of a historic heritage, because it's a much younger city than Recife or Salvador. During most of the colonial history of Brazil, Fortaleza wasn't much more than a tiny village. But, there are some historical buildings to see in the city, and also in the neighboring town of Aquiraz (which was the capital of the State of Ceara prior to Fortaleza). The Catholic Cathedral of Fortaleza is a very big and beautiful building. The Jose de Alencar Theater is also beautiful.


Fortaleza is one of the best places in the world to be visited by people who love beaches AND human interaction (not only staying inside a resort, isolated from the outside world).


Anyone who visits Fortaleza and says it is "boring" needs some psychiatric help. If it was "boring", it wouldn't receive more than one million visitors every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
2,544 posts, read 4,438,466 times
Reputation: 1538
This is a video made by the city hall of Fortaleza:


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 11:20 AM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,096,494 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Fortaleza is boring? LMAO!! Maybe this is the reason why Fortaleza is the second most visited place by domestic Brazilian tourists who seek leisure travel, only behind Rio de Janeiro...


Fortaleza has one of the best nightlifes in Brazil, with tons of bars, nightclubs and music concerts. The "Dragão do Mar Cultural Centre" is "boiling" with people every night, and it's just one of the areas that concentrate the nightlife of the city, there are many others.


For Brazilian tourists, who can understand Portuguese, Fortaleza has the additional attractiveness of being the "national capital of comedy". The people of Fortaleza is known for their good humor, and many of the most famous comedians in Brazil come from Fortaleza, like Chico Anisio, Tom Cavalcante and Wellington Muniz, just to name a few... The city has dozens of comedy shows happening every night, everywhere, even at pizza restaurants!


In the Fortaleza Metro Area is located the biggest waterpark of Latin America, the "Beach Park", located at the seaside, that receives hundreds of thousands of visitors every year.


There is a urban beach in Fortaleza called "Praia do Futuro" that has a very good infrastructure of dozens of good restaurants located directly over the sand of the beach. Some of those restaurants are almost "beach clubs", with swimming pools and saunas. The seafood in those restaurants is simply delicious. The crabs are amazing.


And outside of Fortaleza there are the hundreds of stunning, awesome, amazing beaches of the State of Ceara, with beautiful sand dunes and lots of fun. Some of the most beautiful beaches of the world are located in the coast of the State of Ceara, like Jericoacoara. And just 30 kilometers west of Fortaleza is located the beach of Cumbuco, that is a world renowned kitesurfing "mecca".


It's true that Fortaleza doesn't have much of a historic heritage, because it's a much younger city than Recife or Salvador. During most of the colonial history of Brazil, Fortaleza wasn't much more than a tiny village. But, there are some historical buildings to see in the city, and also in the neighboring town of Aquiraz (which was the capital of the State of Ceara prior to Fortaleza). The Catholic Cathedral of Fortaleza is a very big and beautiful building. The Jose de Alencar Theater is also beautiful.


Fortaleza is one of the best places in the world to be visited by people who love beaches AND human interaction (not only staying inside a resort, isolated from the outside world).


Anyone who visits Fortaleza and says it is "boring" needs some psychiatric help. If it was "boring", it wouldn't receive more than one million visitors every year.
I never said it was. I have never been there. However, I know several people who have visited there and told me this, and someone who lived there that liked but thought it was boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top