U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Francisco Or Sao Paulo ? Which Is More Racially Diverse ?
Sao Paulo 24 57.14%
San Francisco 18 42.86%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 11:18 PM

15,951 posts, read 36,196,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
The haves and have nots would be even more blatantly obvious in Sao Paulo than it would in San Francisco.

Look at this pic of Sao Paulo for example.
Well, Brazil and Sao Paulo is always a text case example. No arguing that whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 11:39 PM

958 posts, read 1,212,648 times
Tiger Beer in your opinion which of those 2 cities has a better selection of restaurants ? Which has more variety of different cuisines ?

Old 05-22-2011, 01:28 AM

32,388 posts, read 55,214,514 times
Um, dude stop talking to urself. LOL.

The Bay Area has twice as many foreign born residents than all of Brazil(2.1 Million vs 1 Million)

Quote:
O Brasil tem atualmente o menor número de estrangeiros de toda a sua história: cerca de 1 milhão de pessoas, que representam aproximadamente 0,4% da população que mora no país. A explicação, segundo o secretário executivo do Ministério da Justiça, Luiz Paulo Barreto, pode estar na mudança do perfil do estrangeiro que vem para o Brasil.

My Translation:
Brazil currently has the lowest number of foreigners in its entire history: around 1 million people, who represent approximately 0.4% of the country's population. The explanation according to Executive Secratary of the Ministry of Justice, Luiz Paulo Barreto, could be change in the profile of foreigners who come to Brazil.

Número de estrangeiros no Brasil é o menor da história / Brasil / Notícias / Home - ipcdigital.com
Sao Paulo is probably 3-5% foreign born at best, meanwhile SF is closer to 30%.

Furthermore, in 2000, 48% of Bay Area residents were considered "Immigrant Stock", meaning they were either foreign born, or they were the US born children of foreign born residents. This is according to fairus.org which is an immigration watchdog group.

I bring these 2 tibdits up to illustrate the influence that Immigrants have in the current make up of the Bay Area. Foreign Languages are heard everywhere, people of totally different cultures co-exist and you see a real salad bowl of diversity that I( A Sao Paulo resident can attest) does not exist nearly as much in Sao Paulo.

Yes, Sao Paulo is people from tons of different origins, but in 2011, their cultures are not too different--over time they've acclimated themselves into a single culture for the most part.

In the Bay Area, not so much.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:05 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,196,266 times
Quote:
Tiger Beer in your opinion which of those 2 cities has a better selection of restaurants ? Which has more variety of different cuisines ?
I didn't have a car in Sao Paulo, so I can't say I had access to every restaurant that all 20 million people in that metro might have access to. There were certain foods I ate in Sao Paulo, that I really miss, and cannot find anywhere else, including variations of Japanese foods there, that I can't even find in Japan.

Being that English is my native language, and I an American person, plus I had a car in San Francisco. I was certainly able to go to any and every kind of ethnic restaurant you can imagine in SF - which is something I really like to do. Whether Sao Paulo had the same types of restaurants, I am just not sure, with the language barrier and not having total access to everything in the city without a car.

In short, my limited response answer would be San Francisco for me. But most of the food I ate in Brazil and Sao Paulo, I would no way be able to find anywhere in SF that I know of either. They both have good foods. Usually you just find an upscale churasco brazilian food, and almost impossible to find all the many street foods and common people foods absolutely everywhere else.

I think, generally, Sao Paulo is known as the culinary capital of South America, with food from around the world, and a gazillion Brazilian fusion types of every imagineable that is probably impossible to find outside of Brazil.

San Francisco seems to have every kind of international ethnic food. But, what exactly is American food that SF would have besides chains, fastfoods, burger joints, pizza, etc. That being said there are some organic, asian fusion and others that SF would certainly have (not sure if Sao Paulo wouldn't have them either though).

Speaking of food. In Tokyo, there is an 'Americana Restaurant' that has every regional food we have in the States...you can lobster style from Maine, blue crabs from Maryland, every kind of southern and cajun style, etc. Had 100s of regional American foods on the menu. All kinds of stuff that I'd never be able to find in any one restaurant anywhere on American soil that I know. I wish we had more of those types of Americana foods available in more American cities.

Anyways, speaking only of various ethnic foods from around the world, I might say San Francisco (being ignorant if every ethnic restaurant in the world is also in Sao Paulo). But, combine the incredibly rich Brazilian mix of foods plus the many many immigrants in Brazil, especially a million plus Asians mostly Japanese and all those Italians and their chefs and italian variation that made Sao Paulo home. It's just hard to really say. I'd say both are pretty amazing though.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:58 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,438,578 times
Quote:
The haves and have nots would be even more blatantly obvious in Sao Paulo than it would in San Francisco.

Look at this pic of Sao Paulo for example.
Whoa, are those swimming pools? That's crazy!

Old 05-22-2011, 12:10 PM

958 posts, read 1,212,648 times
Most of the immigrants in Sao Paulo assimilated into Paulista society, so most Italian descendents there are not fluent in Italian, most Japanese descendents are not fluent in Japanese, most German descendents are not fluent in German, etc.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:12 PM

32,388 posts, read 55,214,514 times
Quote:
Most of the immigrants in Sao Paulo assimilated into Paulista society, so most Italian descendents there are not fluent in Italian, most Japanese descendents are not fluent in Japanese, most German descendents are not fluent in German, etc.
Just like in America, most German-Americans don't speak German and most Italian Americans don't speak Italian.

There is nothing wrong with that in fact I think its normal because it means that they have become full members of their adopted homeland and now Brazil is their country, just like the US is now their country.

I love both countries immensely by the way.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:12 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,438,578 times
Quote:
Most Japanese, German or Italian Americans probably can't even speak their languages!

Old 05-22-2011, 09:15 PM

342 posts, read 1,729,702 times
Sao Paulo is extremely polluted and has no natural beauty. It is inland away from the coast and too big. It might be a good place to make a lot of money and experience some Brazilian culture but other than that I did not see much appeal.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:48 AM

21,476 posts, read 19,337,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Most Japanese, German or Italian Americans probably can't even speak their languages!
That's the good thing about Brazil. Immigrants to Brazil go there because they love Brazilian culture, thus they readily let themselves be Brazilianized, there is no tendency to even try and maintain one's original culture, form subcultures etc. In Brazil diversity is really more like the first step towards amalgamation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or