Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 07:02 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times

Advertisements

A few acquaintances spent a month in BA recently and were robbed. They are a couple in there sixties, and were knocked down in broad daylight in the middle of BA by a gang of adult thugs who took their valuables. Unfortunately the woman had on a back pack and a camera so they might have looked like "sitting ducks". Is this a common occurence in BA? Is it safe there??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 12:11 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,272 times
Buenos Aires isn't as bad as people think. Just like anywhere else you have to use caution and good sense. The overwhelming majority of tourists there have no troubles as far as robbery/violent crime goes.

There are some bad neighborhoods in the BA area that you shouldn't be in and using the same criteria you would use in the US will let you know when you're in one of these neighborhoods. The area around La Boca and Indepencia stands out.

There are a lot of people out there who want to hustle you out of your money though. Taxi drivers (usually non-radio) trying to exchange fake currency (carry small bills so you never need much change from them), fake charities, panhandlers, etc.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:03 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
I've been to Argentina twice in the last couple years, but I never spent anytime in Buenos Aries, except to change buses. I don't do big, big cities anymore, my latest stage of foreign travel. I enjoyed both my trips there, with no incidents whatsoever. So what did I miss not going there? What I would have missed if I had only gone to touristy Buenos Aries was less touristy and safer cities like Mendoza, Bahia Blanca, Tandil, Rosario, San Juan, Tucuman, Salta, Rioja, Santiago del Estero, Catamarca, Posadas and La Plata.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:59 AM

938 posts, read 4,093,978 times
Almost got robbed once while I was down there...

prettyugly.: Argentina

Old 09-09-2009, 01:26 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
@ prettyugly : I read your blog and I must admit I must be dumb, because I didn't understand what you are driving at, -what's "brutal affordability"? I only could make out, your style being so convoluted, that you had a "urban lover" in Buenos Aires and that you were there for the "foodie"-hardly loftier motives as those of these tourists you seem to despise; and don't forget your "travel endeavours" are facilitated by the "crushing globalization" you are criticizing...

Old 09-09-2009, 02:51 PM

438 posts, read 1,352,322 times
I have lived in Argentina on and off for the last 25 years.....Buenos Aires is not a safe city but as another one of you said, taking the necessary precautions and not looking like a tourist helps a lot. Your hotel staff should be able to tell you if its safe to walk to certain areas, and which times are critical. Its just basic survival techniques in any metropolis.
One of the things one should do when traveling is try to look like a local, observe what they wear, and if necessary buy similar clothes.
I can still be picked out as a foreigner in Argentina despite speaking the language fluently, wearing the "average man's clothes", and driving an average mans car, and living in the average mans suburb. I do this not to attract attention. I am also pretty confident about myself dealing with an unpleasant situation.
I have never in these 25 years been a victim of any aggressive behavior on the street at any time of day or night. Maybe I have just been lucky.
I must admit that the interior of the country is much safer and in my city, it is not uncommon to see individuals walking home, without hindrance whatsoever, at late hours in the evening.
For example, I would not hesitate to permit my daughters when they were 18 and above to walk into the downtown area (16 blocks from home) on a Friday or Saturday night. Parking was always a hassle and they were happier with the arrangement. If they were tired later on in the evening, they would either be brought home by friends or take a taxi.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:19 PM

938 posts, read 4,093,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
@ prettyugly : I read your blog and I must admit I must be dumb, because I didn't understand what you are driving at, -what's "brutal affordability"? I only could make out, your style being so convoluted, that you had a "urban lover" in Buenos Aires and that you were there for the "foodie"-hardly loftier motives as those of these tourists you seem to despise; and don't forget your "travel endeavours" are facilitated by the "crushing globalization" you are criticizing...
?

Old 01-13-2011, 06:46 AM

1 posts, read 8,119 times
Robberies are the most popular sport and way to get easy money in Buenos Aires Capital City. The robbery at Banco Provincia is just part of daily life here, and of course the city government turns a blind eye on everybody and spends public funds on new park benches, tourist attractions and the like, Here's some video footage from a robbery at my candy store that took place back in July 2010. Nice and quick and well planned as you can see, after reporting it to the police and almost every other store on our block being held up at gunpoint, of course we still NEVER see a police officer around here. The mayor, Mauricio Macri, just had a lovely wedding and loves to blame the president for everything that happens in the country, however he is the one in charge of the police, but of course does nothing to protect the people.......NOW YOU KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON IN BUENOS AIRES, CAPITAL FEDERAL!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypn-gjCETr4

Old 06-23-2011, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 7,294 times
Crime is not totally out of control but you do need to take precautions. My sense is that many crimes, including those against tourists, often go unreported (at least by the media). The best summary I've seen on the state of crime in BA is at Buenos Aires Tips [url=http://www.batips.com/]Buenos Aires Tips[/url] which includes comments from several dozen people on the matter.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:02 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,703 times
Generally speaking Buenos Aires is pretty safe as long as you take precautions. I was last down there in 2001 when there was a big economic crisis and I did not have any problems with crime. However that being said there are a few areas where it is not wise to wander around aimlessly notably La Boca and San Telmo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas