U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 10:41 AM

6,932 posts, read 8,092,262 times

Advertisements

If you mean by immigrants of different nationalities, that's up for dispute because Canada and the UK would have to be in the same discussion. All 3 of those countries have immigration legacies from across the world. Ethnically, no. Tons of countries in the world have various ethnicities with different languages, such as India and Nigeria.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:56 PM

196 posts, read 360,206 times
Indeed. Both countries have ( it doesn't matter if mixed or not ) a variety of ethnic groups. White ( and here we have to mention not only those who descend from the British colonists in the US or the Portuguese in Brazil, but all those who descend from the immigrants who came to both countries in late XIX century and early XX century - Italians, Germans Polishes, Spanish to both countries and Chinese to the US and Japanese, Turkish, Lebanese and Syrians to Brasil -, Afro, indian make of both countries real melting pots like the Americans use to say.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:09 PM

196 posts, read 360,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
Agreed. Brazil and Brazilians love to export those ideas, but reality is VERY different. The only difference I can see is that down there they'd be much more willing to have interracial sex, but more than that is asking for a bit much.

I actually think the US deals with race/ethnicity much better than Brazil. At least we admit that there is racism...
Well, I think something must be fixed here.

- 1 interracial relationship ( married or not ) is, A REAL FACT here. A walk down the streets of São Paulo, Rio, Belo Horizonte, Salvador, Recife will prove it. But the interracial marriage brings a sordid factor to the descendants: there is a skin whitening - During the Impire in the XIX century a Brazilian politician defended mixed marriage in order to turn all the Brazilian population into white color in just a matter of decades. So sometimes one might think that what you see is a completely white person, but believe me, he or she may have black or indian gene in his or her blood.
- 2 we do recognize racism in Brazil. there is, no doubt, not as hard as in the US, but it is there...

Old 10-15-2013, 06:12 PM

27 posts, read 56,695 times
In Latam the most diverse countries racially are Venezuela, Colombia, Panamá y Brasil. They have a similar racial diversity.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:24 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,760,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelju View Post
In Latam the most diverse countries racially are Venezuela, Colombia, Panamá y Brasil. They have a similar racial diversity.
That race obsessions...

Old 10-15-2013, 06:27 PM

7,577 posts, read 2,437,292 times
It all depends on how one defines diversity. Different countries have different types of diversity. Cultural, so-called racial, religious, linguistic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I also wanted to say that Trinidad and Tobago...as far as I know, the East Indians aren't mixing at all...and they're 40%.

Fiji has a similar situation...about half East Indian and half Fiji-Fijians.

Not saying that they aren't diverse....but I think there was an implication that in Trinidad all the races mixed together...which might be true of the black with the indigeneous and whatever white was there. But the East Indians not much at all. At least, that's what I'd always heard anyways.
That's actually incorrect. The mixed population is Trinidad & Tobago is the fastest growing. The most recent census (2011) places the East Indian population at 35% and the African population at 34%. Both groups are mixing and shrinking. There are also plenty people who are mixed within both groups (both have mixed with Venezuelans of different heritages for example), but just identify with one or the other. In terms of the mixed population, those people could be mixed with anything from African, Indian, Chinese, Syrian or Lebanese, Amerindian, French or Spanish etc. There are families where you will find all of the above.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:15 AM

2,241 posts, read 2,675,167 times
This is an interesting yet very controversial documentary on race, racism, and racial and ethnic discrimination in Brazil:

ADIFF 2013 Preview - Documentary 'RAÇA' ('RACE') Will Tackle Racial Inequality In Brazil | Shadow and Act

Old 11-07-2013, 07:55 AM

2,241 posts, read 2,675,167 times
ADIFF 2013 Preview - Documentary 'RAÇA' ('RACE') Will Tackle Racial Inequality In Brazil | Shadow and Act
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or