U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:21 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've been to China four times...including Yunnan were many of these different languages exist and such.

However, everywhere I went - Shanghai, Beijing, Kunming, Chengdu, Dali, Lijiang, etc. I was generally always confronted with a very strong sense of being surrounded by all Chinese with people all looking directly at me as the most 'diverse' thing they'd come across that day, or even in their lifetime, depending on where I was.
That's interesting. When I was in Dali and Lijiang, nobody seemed to be paying any attention to me at all. When there was something that I didn't understand, they wrote it down for me (in Chinese), assuming that I was from some other part of China, and didn't understand their local dialect. Nobody ever stared at me anywhere, or acted surprised when I got on a bus headed for Long-e. I spent a lot of time wandering around (birdwatching) in the rural countryside, and people I encountered just nodded their ni-hau-ma to me as if they saw me every morning. A couple of times, Id have a few people in a restaurant gather around to practice (or show off) their English, but generally, I was treated like a "diverse" Chinese traveler from another district. (I look perfectly European, by the way.)

Old 06-07-2011, 09:23 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,673,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrett32 View Post
Foreign-born populations do not necessarily equal diversity. Like Tiger Beer stated, Russia is a fine example of this.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:28 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,414,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrett32 View Post
Every city in Western Europe is ethnically diverse (London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Birmingham, Brussels, Stockholm etc.). However, the countries as a whole are 90%+ White.
Netherlands:
Ethnic Dutch - 80%
Iraq, Italy, Afghanistan, France, USA, Spain, Iran and many others combined - 4.1%
Indonesian - 2.5%
Turkish - 2.5%
German - 2.5%
Moroccans - 2.3%
Surinamese - 2.2%
Dutch Antilles - 0.9%
Belgians - 0.8%
Yugoslavs - 0.5%
Britains - 0.5%
Polish - 0.5%
Chinese - 0.4%
Soviet Union - 0.3%

Old 06-07-2011, 09:29 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That's interesting. When I was in Dali and Lijiang, nobody seemed to be paying any attention to me at all. When there was something that I didn't understand, they wrote it down for me (in Chinese), assuming that I was from some other part of China, and didn't understand their local dialect. Nobody ever stared at me anywhere, or acted surprised when I got on a bus headed for Long-e. I spent a lot of time wandering around (birdwatching) in the rural countryside, and people I encountered just nodded their ni-hau-ma to me as if they saw me every morning. A couple of times, Id have a few people in a restaurant gather around to practice (or show off) their English, but generally, I was treated like a "diverse" Chinese traveler from another district.
Actually Dali and Lijiang had many backpacker types, so I wasn't being paid attention to much there either. Plus tourists from throughout China. I did end up in a lot of the photos of the many other predominately Chinese tourists, but not necessarily from the locals who saw the tourists all day.

I got a lot more attention in non-tourist towns. The backroads coming up through Vietnam into China...and off the trail in parts of Sichuan Province, etc. Also, in the more obscure parts of Shanghai outside of the major tourist attractions.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:19 AM

342 posts, read 1,728,416 times
Australia is not very diverse. Practically everyone in Australia is white European. Yeah there are some Asians in the big cities and aborigines/natives in the remote areas. But based upon what I saw there it was 95% or more white European.

Russia has a large Asian ethnicity population in the eastern parts of the country.

Good luck finding a non-Chinese person in China that is not a tourist or there temporarily for work.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:38 PM

210 posts, read 183,697 times
There is more physical diversity in my family than there is among the Chinese, because everybody in China has brown eyes and black hair. Where in my family you can find people of all eye colors and hair colors.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:09 PM

10,422 posts, read 12,414,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
Australia is not very diverse. Practically everyone in Australia is white European. Yeah there are some Asians in the big cities and aborigines/natives in the remote areas. But based upon what I saw there it was 95% or more white European.
Like 15% of the people in Australia are Italian/Chinese/Vietnamese/Indian/Filipino /Greek/South African/Malaysian/Lebanese/HongKonger/Sri Lankan/Indonesian/Croatian/Singaporean/South Korean.

That doesnt look white European to me.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:30 PM

22,136 posts, read 23,648,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nostalgia Critic View Post
There is more physical diversity in my family than there is among the Chinese, because everybody in China has brown eyes and black hair. Where in my family you can find people of all eye colors and hair colors.
Maybe, but then what about the actual look of their faces (jaws, face shape, brows, noses, etc.) and their bodies?

Anyhow, is physical diversity the only criteria here? I don't think anyone argued with you on eye color/hair color, etc., but I think people were pointing out whether or not that's really a central point.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:35 PM

14,790 posts, read 14,044,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post

Russia has a large Asian ethnicity population in the eastern parts of the country.

Good luck finding a non-Chinese person in China that is not a tourist or there temporarily for work.
haha when was that 1975?

Old 06-07-2011, 06:40 PM

210 posts, read 183,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
haha when was that 1975?
Australia is not 95% White, but it is still over 90% White according to the CIA World Factbook. And that is very White, especially for a country that is not located in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or