U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:11 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,750,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Like 15% of the people in Australia are Italian/Chinese/Vietnamese/Indian/Filipino /Greek/South African/Malaysian/Lebanese/HongKonger/Sri Lankan/Indonesian/Croatian/Singaporean/South Korean.

That doesnt look white European to me.
Italian, Croatians and Greeks are White Europeans. Most South Africans that live in Australia are white as well. I heard somewhere that soon people from India be the biggest immigrants to Australia as not enough immigrants from Europe are applying to move to Australia. But Indians here in Australia can be found just about everywhere now. Add to that there are so many Indian students at universities out here and they are on student visas. Just about every Indian student I met does not intend to move back to India after their studies and want to apply for permanent residency.

Last edited by other99; 06-07-2011 at 07:37 PM..

Old 06-07-2011, 07:24 PM

1,855 posts, read 4,292,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Demographically speaking, it seem like the U.S. and Brazil are the most diverse countries in the world. While there is diversity in other countries as well it seems like the influence that minorities or other ethnicities that come to both of these countries is like no other. It influences the music, food, culture, lifestyle, etc. Anyone else agree?

Also, I think Canada is very diverse as well, but not on the same level as the U.S. and Brazil.
My estimates based on hunch would be:

1. USA
2. (tie) Brazil/India
4. (tie) Australia/Canada
6. Israel
7. China

India and China are incredibly diverse, and I would imagine Indonesia is as well. Below is a link I found on Wiki that calls India one of the most diverse places on earth. Sorry folks, if you have a billion people you are simply going to be diverse. Period.

I would imagine all huge countries are incredibly diverse in all categories of demographics. Notable exceptions include Japan and South Korea that are either isolated from other populations or have policies that do not support diversification, or both. If the Soviet Union were still around it would certainly be right at the top of the list of diverse countries.

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/frd/cs/profiles/India.pdf

Old 06-07-2011, 07:40 PM

14,790 posts, read 14,064,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nostalgia Critic View Post
Australia is not 95% White, but it is still over 90% White according to the CIA World Factbook. And that is very White, especially for a country that is not located in Europe.
Very European, yes.

.... but there are a lot of Asians and Indians, and people from the Middle East.

I am not saying Australia is the most diverse country in the world, but there are many people here from a variety of cultures.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
My estimates based on hunch would be:

1. USA
2. (tie) Brazil/India
4. (tie) Australia/Canada
6. Israel
7. China

India and China are incredibly diverse, and I would imagine Indonesia is as well. Below is a link I found on Wiki that calls India one of the most diverse places on earth. Sorry folks, if you have a billion people you are simply going to be diverse. Period.

I would imagine all huge countries are incredibly diverse in all categories of demographics. Notable exceptions include Japan and South Korea that are either isolated from other populations or have policies that do not support diversification, or both. If the Soviet Union were still around it would certainly be right at the top of the list of diverse countries.

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/frd/cs/profiles/India.pdf
China is diverse is not very diverse compared to some other Asian countries.. Ethnic minorities only represent about 10% of the population. Malaysia is far more diverse than that, even the oil rich Arab nations are more diverse than China. Most people in Dubai are from India, Pakistan and Bangaldesh. Yet Dubai has many Europeans, South Africans, Australians, New Zelanders and Americans as well. Saudi Arabia has over an million Phillipinos but very few are citizens of Saudi Arabia.

Last edited by other99; 06-07-2011 at 07:58 PM..

Old 06-07-2011, 08:00 PM

3,338 posts, read 5,800,632 times
I personally don't like it when people use diversity only to mean what race the people of a certain area is, in terms of what they look like rather than the overall idea of music, languages, foods, lifestyles, cultural attitudes, etc.

A lot of countries have different definitions on what consitutes an ethnic minority though.
Even if you consider the US, the fact that that having a history of one-drop rule has eventually ended up shaping perception of what we think of as an ethnic minority (for instance, someone with a little bit of American Indian or black ancestry that is visible in their looks will be seen as non-white and often identify as such, in a way that may be less obvious to some from other countries). Another example is the US census definition of Hispanic -- many people in other countries would find it odd to racialize the identity of someone based on culture/language in that way alone (since immigrants from a Spanish-speaking country or Spanish colony are Hispanic by default, no matter what their ancestry is).

Old 06-07-2011, 08:08 PM

1,855 posts, read 4,292,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
China is diverse is not very diverse compared to some other Asian countries.. Ethnic minorities only represent about 10% of the population. Malaysia is far more diverse than that, even the oil rich Arab nations are more diverse than China. Most people in Dubai are from India, Pakistan and Bangaldesh. Yet Dubai has many Europeans, South Africans, Australians, New Zelanders and Americans as well. Saudi Arabia has over an million Phillipinos but very few are citizens of Saudi Arabia.
I would not justify saying that Dubai is diverse with a reference to is South Asian worker population. These people are treated like dirt, rarely become citizens, and have no political rights. They are very much segregated from the rest of society and I wouldn't call that diversity.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:08 PM

210 posts, read 184,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I personally don't like it when people use diversity only to mean what race the people of a certain area is, in terms of what they look like rather than the overall idea of music, languages, foods, lifestyles, cultural attitudes, etc.

A lot of countries have different definitions on what consitutes an ethnic minority though.
Even if you consider the US, the fact that that having a history of one-drop rule has eventually ended up shaping perception of what we think of as an ethnic minority (for instance, someone with a little bit of American Indian or black ancestry that is visible in their looks will be seen as non-white and often identify as such, in a way that may be less obvious to some from other countries). Another example is the US census definition of Hispanic -- many people in other countries would find it odd to racialize the identity of someone based on culture/language in that way alone (since immigrants from a Spanish-speaking country or Spanish colony are Hispanic by default, no matter what their ancestry is).
Actuallly there are many Whites in America that claim to have a little bit of Native American admixture, but these people don't actually identify themselves as Native American when they fill out the census form because the vast majority of them do not offically belong to any tribes. The only "proof" that they have some Native American admixture is that they heard a rumor that their great great great grandmother was a Cherokee princess.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
I would not justify saying that Dubai is diverse with a reference to is South Asian worker population. These people are treated like dirt, rarely become citizens, and have no political rights. They are very much segregated from the rest of society and I wouldn't call that diversity.
Well they are usually semi skilled or non skilled workers. Westerners tend to get the better jobs over and better pay too compared to many, many east Indians.

Yet 40 years ago there was not much diversity in dubai except for the biggest foreingers were Iranians, so much has changed since then with the oil money.

Last edited by other99; 06-07-2011 at 08:33 PM..

Old 06-07-2011, 10:51 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,336,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Actually Dali and Lijiang had many backpacker types, so I wasn't being paid attention to much there either. Plus tourists from throughout China. I did end up in a lot of the photos of the many other predominately Chinese tourists, but not necessarily from the locals who saw the tourists all day.

I got a lot more attention in non-tourist towns. The backroads coming up through Vietnam into China...and off the trail in parts of Sichuan Province, etc. Also, in the more obscure parts of Shanghai outside of the major tourist attractions.
I was in that part of China 15 years ago, and in three weeks, saw only one non-Chinese tourist (a Japanese girl in Anshun), but still I did not stand out enough for anyone to pay any attention to me. Since only one hotel in each city was authorized to accept foreign guests, I surely would have seen any others if they were there. A lot of the roads through that area were unpaved, and impassable for days when it rained, like to Nanning from Xingyi, where I had to wait 3 days for a bus to go through. Perhaps nowadays, one gets a different impression, if there are that many tourists and backpackers. Is everyplace like Yangshuo now?

Last edited by jtur88; 06-07-2011 at 11:02 PM..

Old 06-07-2011, 11:47 PM

15,951 posts, read 36,201,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I was in that part of China 15 years ago, and in three weeks, saw only one non-Chinese tourist (a Japanese girl in Anshun), but still I did not stand out enough for anyone to pay any attention to me. Since only one hotel in each city was authorized to accept foreign guests, I surely would have seen any others if they were there. A lot of the roads through that area were unpaved, and impassable for days when it rained, like to Nanning from Xingyi, where I had to wait 3 days for a bus to go through. Perhaps nowadays, one gets a different impression, if there are that many tourists and backpackers. Is everyplace like Yangshuo now?
Not 100% sure. I was there also at various times between 1997-2005 or so.

It reminded me a lot of South Korea in 1996...where I got a lot of strange reactions from people on a very regular basis. But over time, it lessens.

Especially now with so many backpackers and businessmen trying to find the untapped corners of the world for every kind of reason imagineable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or