U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 04:29 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,287,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
These are the most diverse countries in the world and are all very diverse:

USA
Canada
England/UK
France
Singapore
Australia
New Zealand

I think Brazil would fall into this category instead:

Countries that are not the most diverse countries in the world but still have some diversity and probably plenty of diversity:

Germany
Brazil
Japan
China
Thailand
Denmark
Sweden
Norway
Netherlands
South Korea
Switzerland

I really don't think you know what you're talking about.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:27 AM

10,436 posts, read 12,458,347 times
Like 90% of Germany is European
7.7% is from West Asia/North Africa
1% is from The Rest of Africa
0.5% is from East Asia/Southeast Asia
0.3% is from South/Central America
0.3 is from North America
0.2% is from South Asia

Old 06-08-2011, 09:12 AM

5 posts, read 7,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Like 90% of Germany is European
7.7% is from West Asia/North Africa
1% is from The Rest of Africa
0.5% is from East Asia/Southeast Asia
0.3% is from South/Central America
0.3 is from North America
0.2% is from South Asia

From what I understand, it is illegal to ask for race. Anybody with German or European citizenship is European, of course. And those numbers are soley based on citizenship.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:37 AM

758 posts, read 1,964,550 times
'diversity' is a very subjective word.

You could say the U.S. is very diverse,... but some may disagree... pointing out that city after city in the U.S. looks exactly the same, with the same mini malls, same highway systems,... and thanks to television, the majority of us have very similar accents.

Conversely you can say that china is not diverse at all, since it's all Chinese people, but each province, and even each city, and sometimes villages right next to each other have distinct accents, dialects, etc. How is that not diversity?

Israel could be considered 80% jewish... but if you look at that category, jews from all over the world have emigrated to israel... from russian, eastern europe, western europe, ethiopia, the middle east, north africa, india, the americas, etc.

Mexico could even be considered diverse... there's over 68 government recognized indigenous languages throughout the country.

And conversely, an island like Puerto Rico, which we consider somewhat 'diverse'... some would argue that it's homogenous in the sense that all identify as puerto ricans, eat the same food, have the same accent, etc.

The idea that diversity is simply derived from color of skin or 'race' is myopic and somewhat ignorant.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:02 AM

999 posts, read 1,474,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
'diversity' is a very subjective word.

You could say the U.S. is very diverse,... but some may disagree... pointing out that city after city in the U.S. looks exactly the same, with the same mini malls, same highway systems,... and thanks to television, the majority of us have very similar accents.

Conversely you can say that china is not diverse at all, since it's all Chinese people, but each province, and even each city, and sometimes villages right next to each other have distinct accents, dialects, etc. How is that not diversity?

Israel could be considered 80% jewish... but if you look at that category, jews from all over the world have emigrated to israel... from russian, eastern europe, western europe, ethiopia, the middle east, north africa, india, the americas, etc.

Mexico could even be considered diverse... there's over 68 government recognized indigenous languages throughout the country.

And conversely, an island like Puerto Rico, which we consider somewhat 'diverse'... some would argue that it's homogenous in the sense that all identify as puerto ricans, eat the same food, have the same accent, etc.

The idea that diversity is simply derived from color of skin or 'race' is myopic and somewhat ignorant.
Right. I think people misunderstood what I meant.I meant diversity meaning people coming from a variety of countries and bringing their culture with them that influences their's new country's culture. For instance in the U.S., I feel as if Mexican food is now really a part of American Culture.

However, I also think domestic diversity through various states/provinces also counts. The cuisine, accent, lifestyle, and ethnicities are very different in the South than they are in the Pacific Northwest. So in that case I even think Brazil is just as diverse. The northwest part of the country is more indigenous, while the east coast is a huge mish mash of people of African descent, indigenous and European descent. The southern portion of Brazil if mostly of european descent.

While China is very diverse, you still don't find descents that come from all over the world like you do in the U.S. and in Brazil.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:29 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Not 100% sure. I was there also at various times between 1997-2005 or so.

It reminded me a lot of South Korea in 1996...where I got a lot of strange reactions from people on a very regular basis. But over time, it lessens.

Especially now with so many backpackers and businessmen trying to find the untapped corners of the world for every kind of reason imagineable.
Maybe it has something to do with the personal perceptions of the individual traveler, or manner of traveling (we rarely stayed in hostels). 1996 was also the year we were in Korea, and met no travelers at all, only Americans on teaching contracts. The only thing I recall is that teenagers were very open and extroverted about trying out their English with foreigners, always in a positive, very friendly way.

And nobody was ever uptight about us wandering around in the kinds of places where one would always be challenged in America as a suspicious stranger. In America, birdwatching along public roads, people would see us from their house and drive over in their cars with their dogs (and probably guns) to demand an explanation of why we are walking on "their" road. In several places, the police were called, and pulled us over after we had left. In Asia and South America, we could walk right through cultivated areas past field workers, and they would just give us a friendly nod.

Anyway, this is probably wandering off the topic.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:37 AM

350 posts, read 610,178 times
I agree about Brazil and USA but not about France. I know this country very well and except Paris and some cities, the rest of the country is not very diverse and mostly composed of white people.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:47 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
I agree about Brazil and USA but not about France. I know this country very well and except Paris and some cities, the rest of the country is not very diverse and mostly composed of white people.
That's very true about most countries---the diversity is concentrated in the urban centers, and provincial towns have almost no diversity at all. So a traveler who only sees Rio or Paris or Chicago will have a very exaggerated impression of the diversity in that country.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:05 PM

999 posts, read 1,474,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That's very true about most countries---the diversity is concentrated in the urban centers, and provincial towns have almost no diversity at all. So a traveler who only sees Rio or Paris or Chicago will have a very exaggerated impression of the diversity in that country.
Eh, but for example like in the southwest of the U.S. you still see a lot of Mexicans in small towns. Even in places like Champaign, IL in middle of nowhere there are sizable Mexican and Indian communities and this is a city of like 60k.

While most small towns in the U.S. are predominantly white, there also many that are fairly diverse for their size.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:35 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,756,235 times
Malaysia is quite diverse and can be comparable to both Brazil and the USA in diversity. However unlike Brazil or USA white people in Malaysia are an small minority.

demographics of Malaysia.

Malay 50.4%, Chinese 23.7%, indigenous 11%, Indian 7.1%, others 7.8% (2004 est.)
souce from CIA factbook
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/my.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or