U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 05:49 PM

2,386 posts, read 5,450,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
These are the most diverse countries in the world and are all very diverse:

USA
Canada
England/UK
France
Singapore
Australia
New Zealand

I think Brazil would fall into this category instead:

Countries that are not the most diverse countries in the world but still have some diversity and probably plenty of diversity:

Germany

Brazil
Japan
China
Thailand
Denmark
Sweden
Norway
Netherlands
South Korea
Switzerland

What? Brazil is more diverse than any of those countries you listed with it COMBINED. I met so many Brazilian people who are Asian, Black, White, Arab it's ridiculous.

Other than that, I wouldn't be surprised if the U.S. and Canada are one of the most ethnically diverse countries in the world as well, WITH Brazil.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:09 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Eh, but for example like in the southwest of the U.S. you still see a lot of Mexicans in small towns. Even in places like Champaign, IL in middle of nowhere there are sizable Mexican and Indian communities and this is a city of like 60k.

While most small towns in the U.S. are predominantly white, there also many that are fairly diverse for their size.
Champaign is not a typical city for its size. It's culture is dominated by one of the nation's largest universities, which attracts students and faculty from all over the world.

Champaign's population is 13.8% Asian or Hispanic. By contrast, the far more typical percentages in Decatur are 2.5% and Peoria 7.4%.

Meanwhile, Chicago is almost exactly one-third each, White, Black, and Hispanic/Asian, which truly reflects diversity. If you want to use anecdotal examples, I think my argument is well supported by the 33% Hispanic/Asian in Chicago, and 2.5% Hispanic/Asian in Decatur.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:27 AM

193 posts, read 664,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Like 90% of Germany is European
7.7% is from West Asia/North Africa
1% is from The Rest of Africa
0.5% is from East Asia/Southeast Asia
0.3% is from South/Central America
0.3 is from North America
0.2% is from South Asia

Seems quite accurate. I guess a lot of Western European countries have this type of demographics, with some exceptions (in the Uk, South Asians would be the largest non-British group)

Trinidad Tobago and Suriname are worth mentioning too. They are mixture of East Indian, Black, Amerindian, Chinese, Indonesian and White people. That's probably more diverse than US or Canada regarding race.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:42 AM

4,454 posts, read 5,740,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrett32 View Post
Seems quite accurate. I guess a lot of Western European countries have this type of demographics, with some exceptions (in the Uk, South Asians would be the largest non-British group)

Trinidad Tobago and Suriname are worth mentioning too. They are mixture of East Indian, Black, Amerindian, Chinese, Indonesian and White people. That's probably more diverse than US or Canada regarding race.
Trinidad and Tobago does not have an lot of Amerindian and many of the Carribean islands dont have alot unlike much of Latin America.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:56 AM

22,117 posts, read 23,634,230 times
I think one notable omission from these lists is South Africa which has about four-fifths non-homogenous black population and the last fifth divided among east indians, south asians, europeans, east asian, and mixes of all of these. South Africa is also diverse in hosting a multitude of recognized official languages.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:05 AM

24,757 posts, read 33,950,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Trinidad and Tobago does not have an lot of Amerindian and many of the Carribean islands dont have alot unlike much of Latin America.
In terms of racial diversity, Suriname is probably the most diverse place in the Caribbean/coastal South America. Trinidad has very few Amerindians (in the Caribbean only Dominica has any to speak of; the rest of the islands have some mixed Native people, but very few relatively) and no Indonesian pop.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:15 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
I also wanted to say that Trinidad and Tobago...as far as I know, the East Indians aren't mixing at all...and they're 40%.

Fiji has a similar situation...about half East Indian and half Fiji-Fijians.

Not saying that they aren't diverse....but I think there was an implication that in Trinidad all the races mixed together...which might be true of the black with the indigeneous and whatever white was there. But the East Indians not much at all. At least, that's what I'd always heard anyways.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I also wanted to say that Trinidad and Tobago...as far as I know, the East Indians aren't mixing at all...and they're 40%.

Fiji has a similar situation...about half East Indian and half Fiji-Fijians.
I always thought of Trinidad and Fiji being similar, but you see even fewer mixed Fijian-Indian people there than you do the African-Indian mixed people in Trinidad.

Quote:
Not saying that they aren't diverse....but I think there was an implication that in Trinidad all the races mixed together...which might be true of the black with the indigeneous and whatever white was there. But the East Indians not much at all. At least, that's what I'd always heard anyways.
Largely true but not totally. I know several Trinis who are mixtures of Indian and Afro-Trinidadian and everything else that's on the island. Some Indians tried to stay within their own community, while others did like the rest of the Trinis and mixed with whomever they wished.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:35 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,409,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
In terms of racial diversity, Suriname is probably the most diverse place in the Caribbean/coastal South America. Trinidad has very few Amerindians (in the Caribbean only Dominica has any to speak of; the rest of the islands have some mixed Native people, but very few relatively) and no Indonesian pop.
Suriname:
Hindustani 28%
Creole 24%
Javanese 10%
Maroons 9.5%
Brazilian 8.5%
Chinese 6.5%
North American 4%
Latin American 3%
Dutch 2%
West European 2%
Amerindian 2%
Other 0.5%

Old 06-09-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Suriname:
Hindustani 28%
Creole 24%
Javanese 10%
Maroons 9.5%
Brazilian 8.5%
Chinese 6.5%
North American 4%
Latin American 3%
Dutch 2%
West European 2%
Amerindian 2%
Other 0.5%
I was driving one day blasting Surinamese music from my car. I couldn't believe it when I actually looked to my right and saw some guy with a Surinamese flag flying from his mirror, enjoying the music. A once in a lifetime event...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or