U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 12:47 PM

248 posts, read 492,183 times

Advertisements

many countries have diverse populations all throughout the world...however admittedly Brazil is the first country i think of whenever the idea or topic of diversity is presented and always the first example i would use. Brazil is the epitomy of the term 'melting pot', more so than anywhere and a much truer example then the US, Canada, Argentina, or Australia etc...

Old 06-18-2012, 03:20 PM

497 posts, read 874,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioLM View Post
many countries have diverse populations all throughout the world...however admittedly Brazil is the first country i think of whenever the idea or topic of diversity is presented and always the first example i would use. Brazil is the epitomy of the term 'melting pot', more so than anywhere and a much truer example then the US, Canada, Argentina, or Australia etc...
I don't think ANYONE would readily say that Argentina is diverse, certainly not on the level of the US, Brazil, or Canada.

I actually think it depends on what we mean by diverse. Brazil is diverse, but because of the range of colors that people are within the country. The US has this same exact range of colors, but the US has this range in part by foreign workers or recent immigrants. Brazil pretty much only has Brazilians, especially due to the insane immigration laws of Brazil.

Canada and Australia share the similar diversity that the US enjoys, though I think the US and Brazil are more similar than the other two.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:39 PM

3,136 posts, read 3,349,191 times
Australia doesn't have the same diversity as the USA in racial terms very far from it.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:46 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,394,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
The only piece of diversity that Brazil is missing is religious diversity. It is a 99% Christian/Catholic country. Even those who are agnostic/athiest in Brazil have roots in Christianity.

This is probably a good thing though. When people of different religions live amongst eachother they tend to fight.
Brazil is not 99% christian.

It is mostly catholic, but not religious. They might wear a cross and go to church once a year, if that.

There are significant Jewish, Muslim, and other religions too. Not to mention plenty of atheist who just keep it low key.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:54 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,460,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
I don't think ANYONE would readily say that Argentina is diverse, certainly not on the level of the US, Brazil, or Canada.

I actually think it depends on what we mean by diverse. Brazil is diverse, but because of the range of colors that people are within the country. The US has this same exact range of colors, but the US has this range in part by foreign workers or recent immigrants. Brazil pretty much only has Brazilians, especially due to the insane immigration laws of Brazil.

Canada and Australia share the similar diversity that the US enjoys, though I think the US and Brazil are more similar than the other two.
The world bank lists Brazil's nett immigration for the years 2007 to 2011 as around negative 500,000, meaning almost half a million more people left Brazil than arrived over that period.

All that during what has being an economic boom in the country, obviously it does have Insane immigration Laws if thoes number are to be believed.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 06-18-2012 at 08:16 PM..

Old 06-18-2012, 09:50 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,469,138 times
Brazil is a more racially mixed country but the United States is a more racially diverse country.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:17 AM

546 posts, read 1,221,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioLM View Post

Brazil is a very nationalistic country, so they love to brag about the entirely false idea that the country is a "melting pot". They need all that crap to unify the country. So according to official propaganda, all Brazilians are mulattoes that dance Samba.

In fact, Brazil is no different from the US or Argentina, middle class and rich whites live among middle class and rich white people, Lebanese live with Lebanese, Jews live with Jews and blacks, mulattoes and very poor whites, mostly immigrants from the sertao or elsewhere, in favelas.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:14 PM

497 posts, read 874,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
Brazil is a very nationalistic country, so they love to brag about the entirely false idea that the country is a "melting pot". They need all that crap to unify the country. So according to official propaganda, all Brazilians are mulattoes that dance Samba.

In fact, Brazil is no different from the US or Argentina, middle class and rich whites live among middle class and rich white people, Lebanese live with Lebanese, Jews live with Jews and blacks, mulattoes and very poor whites, mostly immigrants from the sertao or elsewhere, in favelas.
Agreed. Brazil and Brazilians love to export those ideas, but reality is VERY different. The only difference I can see is that down there they'd be much more willing to have interracial sex, but more than that is asking for a bit much.

I actually think the US deals with race/ethnicity much better than Brazil. At least we admit that there is racism...

Old 10-09-2013, 12:44 PM

308 posts, read 415,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Brazil is a more racially mixed country but the United States is a more racially diverse country.
USA is a very racially mixed nation and a very racially and ethnically diverse nation all at the same time.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:32 AM

448 posts, read 562,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think Israel should be included on a list of very diverse countries.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or