U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2011, 02:26 PM
 
55 posts, read 253,560 times
Reputation: 66

Advertisements

[Racial mix of the panamanian population].


Arias TD, Castro E, Ruiz E, Barrantes R, Jorge-Nebert L.

Instituto del DNA y del Genoma Humano, Universidad de Panamá.

Abstract

In the general population of Panama, 38.72% of genes from the genetic pool have an African origin, 35.87%, an Amerindian origin and 25.40%, a Caucasian origin. In the province of Cocle we found a contribution of 16.47% of African genes, 55.25% of Amerindian genes and 28.28% of Caucasian genes.

PMID: 16737193 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

[Racial mix of the panamanian population]. [Rev Med Panama. 2002] - PubMed result

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 06-25-2011 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: please read our guidelines on copyrighted material

 
Old 06-25-2011, 09:50 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,757 posts, read 33,965,965 times
Reputation: 11780
Yes, very diverse, with two African-descended populations and the usual Native/Spanish mix as well.
 
Old 06-26-2011, 11:18 PM
 
114 posts, read 486,982 times
Reputation: 91
Some black Panamanians are descended from West Indian immigrants who came to work on the Panama Canal, while others are descended from slaves brought directly to Panama by the Spanish. I have seen many triracial Panamanians but many mestizos as well.
 
Old 06-27-2011, 06:32 AM
 
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
2,568 posts, read 4,653,986 times
Reputation: 1562
Panama, Colombia, Venezuela and Brazil are all tri-racial countries, with many tri-racial citizens.

I am myself a typical tri-racial Brazilian.
 
Old 06-27-2011, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,757 posts, read 33,965,965 times
Reputation: 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreocookiexo View Post
Some black Panamanians are descended from West Indian immigrants who came to work on the Panama Canal, while others are descended from slaves brought directly to Panama by the Spanish. I have seen many triracial Panamanians but many mestizos as well.
Yup. Afro-Antillanos and Afro-Coloniales.
 
Old 07-28-2013, 04:18 PM
 
578 posts, read 756,597 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreocookiexo View Post
Some black Panamanians are descended from West Indian immigrants who came to work on the Panama Canal, while others are descended from slaves brought directly to Panama by the Spanish. I have seen many triracial Panamanians but many mestizos as well.
The term mestizo is quite vague. Most Mestizos are tri racial of mixed White, Black, and Native American ancestry.
 
Old 07-28-2013, 04:37 PM
 
578 posts, read 756,597 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreocookiexo View Post
Some black Panamanians are descended from West Indian immigrants who came to work on the Panama Canal, while others are descended from slaves brought directly to Panama by the Spanish. I have seen many triracial Panamanians but many mestizos as well.
Most black Panamanians are Spanish speaking colonial blacks. However colonial blacks have often been swept under the rugs. There are more colonial blacks in Panama than blacks of West Indian descent in Panama. Many people seem to equate blacks and African descent as English speaking foreign blacks, which is ignorant.
 
Old 11-24-2013, 11:46 AM
 
2,241 posts, read 2,674,223 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post
Most black Panamanians are Spanish speaking colonial blacks. However colonial blacks have often been swept under the rugs. There are more colonial blacks in Panama than blacks of West Indian descent in Panama. Many people seem to equate blacks and African descent as English speaking foreign blacks, which is ignorant.
I totally agree. Unfortunately it all goes back to erasure and paper genocide. Then the powers that be want to hide, exploit, then use you when it's convenient.

Thankfully people are waking up to the truth. Don't ever let anyone obscure and hide the truth and history of Latin America from you. And travel and research and study as much as you can!

+1
 
Old 11-24-2013, 01:09 PM
 
10 posts, read 19,029 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post
The term mestizo is quite vague. Most Mestizos are tri racial of mixed White, Black, and Native American ancestry.
It's not vague at all. Dominicans are called mulatto all the time because they look more African/European due to their larger white/african mix and they actually have a sizable amount of native which most discount because it's a small percentage. Mestizo just means a large European/Native mix with a small amount/no African mix. It depends on the person and how much contribution they get from every different race. It's just simply not enough to matter like when certain European/white Americans say they have 5% native american in them and they look nothing like them but how many would consider them bi racial? Most people are mutts but what you look like will determine what you are in the eyes of the world at face value and that is based on how much pull you have from whatever race that actually allows those traits to show. From your perspective, most of the world would be considered bi/tri racial if you wanted to count the smaller trace percentages of native/asian/arab/ whatever that shows up over generations and most should just be called mutts.

Last edited by Dinky Dino; 11-24-2013 at 02:00 PM..
 
Old 11-24-2013, 02:32 PM
 
1,266 posts, read 2,478,961 times
Reputation: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinky Dino View Post
It's not vague at all. Dominicans are called mulatto all the time because they look more African/European due to their larger white/african mix and they actually have a sizable amount of native which most discount because it's a small percentage. Mestizo just means a large European/Native mix with a small amount/no African mix. It depends on the person and how much contribution they get from every different race. It's just simply not enough to matter like when certain European/white Americans say they have 5% native american in them and they look nothing like them but how many would consider them bi racial? Most people are mutts but what you look like will determine what you are in the eyes of the world at face value and that is based on how much pull you have from whatever race that actually allows those traits to show. From your perspective, most of the world would be considered bi/tri racial if you wanted to count the smaller trace percentages of native/asian/arab/ whatever that shows up over generations and most should just be called mutts.

This

Of course Mulattos and Mestizos could be tecnically called tri racial but the third mix is so small it does not count.

There are many Americans of all races that are mix and yet they are classified as only belonging to one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top