U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:53 PM

3,110 posts, read 3,342,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
But they are of mostly British ancestry. Outside of the US no majority British ancestry colony ever got that strident in demands that they be released from the empire.

I think the thing to keep in mind with possible neo-colonies would be that places becoming colonies by vote would probably be treated a lot differently than the colonies were in the Age of Imperialism.
Yes but only in the case of The Falklands. Bermuda and the rest that come to mind at least,are not made up of mostly British ancestry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 06:30 AM

7,680 posts, read 8,483,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Yes but only in the case of The Falklands. Bermuda and the rest that come to mind at least,are not made up of mostly British ancestry.
What about Gibraltar or the Isle of Man?

Old 07-07-2011, 08:43 AM

3,110 posts, read 3,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
What about Gibraltar or the Isle of Man?
Gibs are not for the main part of English backround.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:16 PM

34 posts, read 69,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
I may be wrong, but I think Jamaica is fairly safe outside Kingston
Not true. Many cruise ships now avoid Jamaica due to the levels of violence and crime and have instead opted for Central American ports as an alternative.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:14 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersb View Post
Not true. Many cruise ships now avoid Jamaica due to the levels of violence and crime and have instead opted for Central American ports as an alternative.
yeah, but i think there will be large parts of the country that are peaceful, my uncle went to ocho rios in the north of the country and said it was great, i think kingston is the main area that is dogged with violence, theres obviously other parts, but there will be many areas that would be great to stay

Old 07-07-2011, 02:06 PM

34 posts, read 69,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
yeah, but i think there will be large parts of the country that are peaceful, my uncle went to ocho rios in the north of the country and said it was great, i think kingston is the main area that is dogged with violence, theres obviously other parts, but there will be many areas that would be great to stay
Ocho Rios has been the main port of call in Jamaica.

I've been there and Montego Bay numerous times, though since the mid-90's I've usually never gone ashore while in Jamaica because for those reasons.

I'm sure not all of the country is plagued by these problems, I'm not ignorant. I was simply stating that the city or cities which have served as ports of call (popular tourist destinations) have been deemed no longer safe enough for foreign visitors/tourists. When popular tourist destinations are avoided due to violence or criminal activity, that is not a good sign.

Last edited by andersb; 07-07-2011 at 02:16 PM..

Old 07-07-2011, 03:58 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,088,512 times
i think its maybe just a little bit of hysteria TBH because of the violence in areas like kingston, companys, cruise ships etc will deem the whole country a no go area, when there will be many areas in the country where your chance of encountering violence are fairly slim, certainly no more than many places around the world

Old 07-09-2011, 01:40 PM

508 posts, read 669,233 times
During the Comorian secession crisis in the late '90's the island of Anjouan hoisted the French tricolour. This isn't an unusual phenomenon. I'd wager to say a certain percentage of Haitians wish they had the largess of the French welfare state along the lines of Guadeloupe and Martinique.

Here is a politically incorrect thought: sometimes moving out of the comfort of your parent's plush home prematurely isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:53 PM

21,375 posts, read 19,301,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't like that kind of mentality. Even with the issues in Jamaica, this is how I see colonialism. Colonialism means unequal treatment. It means being treated as an inferior. It means feeling like you can't rule yourself. It means giving up. I say what issues are in Jamaica, they can accept help from other people, but as a nation, not as a colony of someone else's nation.
I agree. There are such voices in almost all former colonies. People there look at Europe, compare it to their own countries and assume they would be like modern Europe if they were still colonies. But they would still be hardly more than suppliers of resources and agricultural produce.
Jamaica has always had those problems, Bob Marley and other Reggae musicians have sung about them, trying to change things. The violence, drug problem, and poverty themselves are probably a result of the very social distortions created during colonial times.
Some former colonies seem like stuck in the middle: they have left the colonial times behind them, but have not really developed a vision for the future of their countries, yet.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:11 PM

7,680 posts, read 8,483,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I agree. There are such voices in almost all former colonies. People there look at Europe, compare it to their own countries and assume they would be like modern Europe if they were still colonies. But they would still be hardly more than suppliers of resources and agricultural produce.
Jamaica has always had those problems, Bob Marley and other Reggae musicians have sung about them, trying to change things. The violence, drug problem, and poverty themselves are probably a result of the very social distortions created during colonial times.
Some former colonies seem like stuck in the middle: they have left the colonial times behind them, but have not really developed a vision for the future of their countries, yet.
The problem is that many of the remaining colonies DO have standards of living comparable to Europe. In fact, Bermuda's quality of life is even higher than the United Kingdom. The Cayman Islands average annual income is $58,750 (USD) and is significantly higher than the average annual income in the United Kingdom which is $36,650 (USD) making the colony's residents are wealthier than the ruling power's residents - who on Earth would get rid of a deal like that? The Cayman Islands were once part of Jamaica but opted to remain a British colony in the 1961 referendum that led to the rest of Jamaica gaining independence. No wonder the Jamaicans are upset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas