U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 02:22 PM

21,382 posts, read 19,301,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The problem is that many of the remaining colonies DO have standards of living comparable to Europe. In fact, Bermuda's quality of life is even higher than the United Kingdom. The Cayman Islands average annual income is $58,750 (USD) and is significantly higher than the average annual income in the United Kingdom which is $36,650 (USD) making the colony's residents are wealthier than the ruling power's residents - who on Earth would get rid of a deal like that? The Cayman Islands were once part of Jamaica but opted to remain a British colony in the 1961 referendum that led to the rest of Jamaica gaining independence. No wonder the Jamaicans are upset.
Cayman Islands, well, aren't they infamous for money laundry, offshoring, tax evasion, and other dubious business practices? I don't think that is a sound foundation for a real country with sizable populations like all the African countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 05:33 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,198,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Cayman Islands, well, aren't they infamous for money laundry, offshoring, tax evasion, and other dubious business practices? I don't think that is a sound foundation for a real country with sizable populations like all the African countries.
They have banking laws that protect the identity of a bank's customers and allow you to headquarter corporations there if you have an address and a few other easy to pass requirements. As far as financial matters go any criticism you want to level at them can be levelled at Switzerland (though in the last few years they have tightened their banking laws so folks privacy isn't as well protected).

To the extent that there is involvement with drug money its due to the fact that they're in the Caribbean more than anything else. It is the same reason banks in south Florida often end up involved in that sort of thing.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:40 PM

48,054 posts, read 45,452,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I agree. There are such voices in almost all former colonies. People there look at Europe, compare it to their own countries and assume they would be like modern Europe if they were still colonies. But they would still be hardly more than suppliers of resources and agricultural produce.
Jamaica has always had those problems, Bob Marley and other Reggae musicians have sung about them, trying to change things. The violence, drug problem, and poverty themselves are probably a result of the very social distortions created during colonial times.
Some former colonies seem like stuck in the middle: they have left the colonial times behind them, but have not really developed a vision for the future of their countries, yet.
The way I see it, I don't mind adopting a different culture or incorporating things from other cultures and making it part of my culture. I do that anyway. I don't mind as long as it's a choice. Japan made a choice to make changes to its culture during the Heian period. Africa never had a choice.

You touched upon being merely suppliers. Well, in Africa it would have been the case. And it was there. You can tell by the way the infrastructure was built. For instance, railroads. If you look at the railroads in Africa, they start out in the middle of nowhere and end at the coast. This was because when they were being built, it had nothing to do with helping the local population. It was meant to transport cash crops from the plantation to the port and get the goods to market. Railways are suppose to connect people to towns and towns to other towns. However, the way it worked, it was merely to transport goods out of the colonies. The railroad system is a good example of how the colonies were used as agricultural suppliers. The only exceptions in Africa were the South African railroads.
India, on the other hand, had a railroad system built up, but it too was treated as a supplier.

One thing to note is that colonialism varied between place to place. For the UK colonies, India, at least, had some infrastructure built. Hong Kong served as a point and became industrialized, although in general, the treatment of people wasn't that good. Hong Kong had to deal with the opiums wars and alot of people starved to death in India at one point under British rule. Africa was treated more like a supplier and one big plantation with a few cities.
Colonialism under King Leopold II of Belgium was even worse. Chopping off of hands, enslavement, 10 million people died under his reign in the Congo.

The way I look at it, I think it was a matter of not wanting to be ruled. I know some colonial influences might have had something to do with the issues in Jamaica. I just don't know how deep they are and which social distortions it is.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:19 PM

18,624 posts, read 16,424,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well there are at least three former British colonies in Africa that are now better off than under British rule and they are Botswana and Ghana as well as Mauritius plus Seychelles and their economy continues to grow even today and are stable democracies as well as being an more safer destination compared to some other African nations.
Ghana on an economic basis is not better now than under colonialism. Can't speak for the other two though.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTwila View Post
During the Comorian secession crisis in the late '90's the island of Anjouan hoisted the French tricolour. This isn't an unusual phenomenon. I'd wager to say a certain percentage of Haitians wish they had the largess of the French welfare state along the lines of Guadeloupe and Martinique.

Here is a politically incorrect thought: sometimes moving out of the comfort of your parent's plush home prematurely isn't all it's cracked up to be.
In fairness to the Haitians when they were fighting for more than independence of their country but personal freedom from bondage.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:33 PM

48,054 posts, read 45,452,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTwila View Post
During the Comorian secession crisis in the late '90's the island of Anjouan hoisted the French tricolour. This isn't an unusual phenomenon. I'd wager to say a certain percentage of Haitians wish they had the largess of the French welfare state along the lines of Guadeloupe and Martinique.

Here is a politically incorrect thought: sometimes moving out of the comfort of your parent's plush home prematurely isn't all it's cracked up to be.
But sometimes moving out of the parents plush home prematurely can make you stronger if you survive. Also, the Black slaves in Haiti didn't choose to be slaves. They didn't choose to go to Haiti. They had no choices. They had no welfare system back then either. So, for this reason, the people who rebelled in the Haitian slave rebellion had nothing to lose. People who are enslaved, treated unequally, not having the same advantages as the free population have no reason NOT to rebel. If I was treated bad, made to do grinding work for no pay, living in a shack, I would rebel too. This was not "parents plush home", it was "parent lives in the big house with all the luxuries" and "child" living in the shacks doing the drudgery and mind-numbing labor. The "parent" didn't give birth to the "child". The "child" was stolen by or sold to the "parent". Politically incorrect, actually, I would call that incorrent period. My mentality is this "live free or die".

Old 07-17-2011, 02:57 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,813,638 times
I would not take this poll to mean anything honestly. There have been polls taken in East Germany in which East Germans have stated that they want to revert back to the German Democratic Republic. At the peak of the 1998 Russian financial crisis, most Russians when polled stated that they wanted to return to Communism and bring back the Soviet Union. When you see these bizarre results in a poll, it is mostly a sign of frustration from the populace towards the government due to economic frustration and etc.

Also, when someone mentioned the Cayman Islands and Bermuda as being successful under British rule, that is because those are really tiny places with a really small population. It isn't very expensive for Britain to maintain overseas territories of that size. Someone might mention Hong Kong (a city with a population that is 10% that of the UK) as doing well under British rule but one has to point out that it is doing just as well if not better under Chinese rule (although HK is being eclipsed by Shanghai). The main reason why HK became wealthy is because HK served as the primary point of contact between China (when it closed its economy under Mao Tse-tung) and the West. The British were just able to capitalize on that by pursuing policies that encouraged this function such as free trade and etc.

Last edited by X14Freak; 07-17-2011 at 03:12 AM.. Reason: Added second paragraph

Old 07-17-2011, 03:31 AM

11 posts, read 28,525 times
I've been to the Caribbean in April this year and I've visited US Virgin Islands and British Virgin Islands. They are a few miles apart, but what a difference! It's like they were decades apart. The US part is like the continental US, everything organized and clean. On BVI, they live like it would be 1970, and not 2011. And it's the same people, just under a different rule.

That's why I think Jamaica under Britain could bring some positive change, but not to the level it would be needed in order to really have the same standard of living like in the developed world.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Jamaica would still be an awful country even if it still was part of the UK. Statistically speaking Jamaicans are one of the most violent and corrupt people on the planet. Nothing will change that except themselves.
Ouch. I've known some nice Jamaicans in my life.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG2 View Post
I've been to the Caribbean in April this year and I've visited US Virgin Islands and British Virgin Islands. They are a few miles apart, but what a difference! It's like they were decades apart. The US part is like the continental US, everything organized and clean. On BVI, they live like it would be 1970, and not 2011. And it's the same people, just under a different rule.

That's why I think Jamaica under Britain could bring some positive change, but not to the level it would be needed in order to really have the same standard of living like in the developed world.

The British Virgin Islands are still part of Britain and its residents are British citizens much like US Virgin Island residents are US citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas