U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 06:23 PM

19,806 posts, read 14,717,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I could be wrong but if there is a large degree of corruption on the island, I'd imagine they could benefit from modern British "rule" because there would be more accountability.
I don't think you can put the Genie back in the bottle. I doubt that it makes financial sense for GB to have any more territories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 07:42 PM

48,250 posts, read 45,529,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I could be wrong but if there is a large degree of corruption on the island, I'd imagine they could benefit from modern British "rule" because there would be more accountability.
Maybe NOW, but I am still skeptical. I feel like inequities could still be persistent if there is any kind of colonialism. The question is "would Jamaican really benefit"?

Old 10-04-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
The OP never said anything about bringing back Colonialism, just British rule. There's plenty of former colonies doing great including the USA and many South American and African Countries. The case for Jamaica may make sense since it is similar to Bermuda.
Having your sovereignty taken away and being ruled by another nation is essentially colonialism.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:07 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,701,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Having your sovereignty taken away and being ruled by another nation is essentially colonialism.
being a nation in the commonwealth realms is essentially de facto colonialism.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:09 PM

22,234 posts, read 23,694,869 times
I doubt the UK government would even want Jamaica under British rule.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:51 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,160,721 times

I'd like to know if QEII is still officiallly Queen of Jamaica (in the same way as she is still Queen of the Dominions-CND, AUS and NZ- or is it a Republic now?
or something in between? I have a hard time understanding the status of the Commonwealth countries!

Old 10-11-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
That was my point.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:19 AM

63 posts, read 107,569 times
OMG! No! No! No!
Why on earth would Britain want to take on the responsibility of running a large, violent, corrupt third world nation? We have enough problems of our own thank you very much!
This arrangement would be hugely beneficial to Jamaica I'm sure, but of no benefit whatsoever for the UK.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:44 AM

63 posts, read 107,569 times
It's never going to happen! There would be uproar!

Can you imagine how much money we would need to invest in the place? It would cripple us. Besides, we have nothing in common culturally with Jamaica. They're a fundamentalist christian, extremely socially conservative society whereas the UK is socially liberal and one of the most atheistic societies in the world!

Running a few rich tax havens and some far flung rocks in the Antarctic is a whole different kettle of fish!

Also, would this mean Jamaicans could come and live here as people from Bermuda & Gibraltar etc. can?
That would worry me a lot!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I doubt the UK government would even want Jamaica under British rule.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacreature99 View Post
It's never going to happen! There would be uproar!

Can you imagine how much money we would need to invest in the place? It would cripple us. Besides, we have nothing in common culturally with Jamaica. They're a fundamentalist christian, extremely socially conservative society whereas the UK is socially liberal and one of the most atheistic societies in the world!

Running a few rich tax havens and some far flung rocks in the Antarctic is a whole different kettle of fish!

Also, would this mean Jamaicans could come and live here as people from Bermuda & Gibraltar etc. can?
That would worry me a lot!!!
Jamaicans are already living in England, as well as Canada and Ireland these days. Why would Jamaicans living in England freak you out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas