U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for families
Houston, Texas 9 45.00%
Los Angeles, California 2 10.00%
Rio de Janiero, Brazil 9 45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:31 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,177,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
These things are common in all of Brasil for an apartment building.
My point still stands, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 10:04 AM

281 posts, read 673,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post

I think it is all about priorities. It does not matter how safe your place is, at some point you will have to go out. I wouldn't want to live in a bubble, even if it is a golden one.

No amount of perks would attract me to live in a place like that.
I agree. Reminds me of Johannesburg, in South Africa, had a friend who moved there and it was the same story (probably even worse).

Also, for the OP, this goes without saying but moving with kids to a non English speaking country can be quite a challenge, think about it before making a decision.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:24 AM

883 posts, read 1,975,162 times
Houston is a very family friendly city, and with your same salary as in LA, you'll learn that Houston has much lower cost of living, so you and your family will be able to live more comfortably and would most likely end up in a bigger home than in LA. As for the beaches, we do have Galveston, but it isn't on anybody's best beaches list, and you'll hear stories about how its nasty , polluted and whatnot, but its just a beach and it really isnt as bad as people think it is. I go there plenty of times and I've only grown a third eye coming out once. (Yes that was a joke) But there are slightly better beaches nearby like Surfside beach, etc. And if the beaches close to home get to you, you can always take a day trip to the much nicer beaches down in South Padre Island (still in TX) or go east to the other Gulf beaches in neighboring states. As far as diversity, not that you mentioned it, but other posters have, Houston has that and more, not at LA's numbers, but few cities top Houston in diversity.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:54 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
There are plenty of safe places in Brazil for people who have money.

It's like the U.S. If you don't have money, you're in a bad area. If you do have money, you're in a good area.

Ipanema Beach is one place where there is a lot of money and wealth. Even as a white blond-haired American, I felt people looked down on me for not displaying enough wealth. (I don't have any wealth, for one).

I was also over in Sao Paulo, and barhopped all the time late at night in Jardins, and lived in Pinheiros. Walked home most nights at 2 or 3 am, and no worries whatsoever. It's all about the neighborhood.

Just like the international stereotype of guns being absolutely everywhere in the US, and people getting shot and murdered all over the place. The reality is that exists in the U.S., but plenty of places that are much safer than others where you don't have to worry about it much. Same concept in Brazil.

In short, I wouldn't worry so much about safety, particularly if you have a lot of money and wealth. A bigger worry is marital survival, as most middle-aged guys in Brazil get overwhelmed with tons of young attractive women chasing them, and it slowly wears down a marriage.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:12 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,177,972 times
I agree that there are good and bad neighborhoods everywhere, but the truth is people move around town and there is virtually nothing one can do against being mugged, robbed, etc. These things may happen randomly and in developing countries - as much as people like to say they are developing - face it, it does happen.
Thieves won't look for people to attack in poor neighborhoods, I suppose?!

Don't take my opinion, though... why not google a local newspaper from whatever city where you want to move to, and read the news? Then, decide for yourself.

PS:As for the marriage comment, silly men looking for smarties sure feel overwhelmed, but then again that happens everywhere and it is not the point of this thread.

Last edited by Miaiam; 07-25-2011 at 12:21 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 12:35 PM

54 posts, read 101,436 times
Thanks for all of the advice. I have not decided yet but Rio seems like it will be our home for the next 5 yrs. The company feels with the olympics in 2016 and the gov't redevelopment of Rio we would enjoy it. I also want my kids to be exposed to an international setting and the education at the American school is tops. The company is looking in the Alphaville section of Rio because of the security. I still have to sell it to the wife, she wants to nest in Houston if not LA, lol Back to work

Old 07-25-2011, 12:48 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,389,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wargod View Post
Thanks for all of the advice. I have not decided yet but Rio seems like it will be our home for the next 5 yrs. The company feels with the olympics in 2016 and the gov't redevelopment of Rio we would enjoy it. I also want my kids to be exposed to an international setting and the education at the American school is tops. The company is looking in the Alphaville section of Rio because of the security. I still have to sell it to the wife, she wants to nest in Houston if not LA, lol Back to work
Rio is great and Brasil is amazing. Your kids will probably cry when you leave Brasil. Try the chicken heart at the local churrascaras. It is delicious.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:07 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,226,890 times
Moved to the appropriate forum - it's not a cityvscity topic per the room guidelines.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:56 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,504,196 times
I'm in the process of moving to São Paulo, which isn't too far away from Rio (both are enormous cities), so I'm going through a similar experience as you.

There's no question that Rio is far more dangerous than any city in the United States. Far more. That said, similar to the United States, the crime is mostly concentrated to certain areas, so there are plenty of safe places in the city where you can raise a family. As my girlfriend has told me "you just need to be a bit more alert". You can't walk down the street, holding your iPod or Android phone openly, because it makes you a target for robbery. I don't know if it's different out in LA, but here in Boston people walk around with iPads, Androids, whatever on the subway without any fear.

Since you're in LA, your land values are probably similar to mine. In terms of houses/apartments, you're going to find they're considerably cheaper than those in Los Angeles (though I think they may be about the same as those in Houston). You should probably look for a fully-furnished apartment though, because oftentimes in Brasil, you will need to buy all the furniture, down to the refrigerator and stove...so keep an eye on what you're looking to rent.

In terms of consumer-discretionary retail (iPods, TVs, clothes, American restaurants, etc.) you're going to find goods are far more expensive. I'm talking 3 or 4 times the cost...so if you do decide on Brasil, buy lots of new clothes, electronics, etc. before you go. But, if you do this you need to make sure that most of your electronics are under $500 and you keep your receipts. If you don't keep your receipts and/or the electronics cost more than $500, you're going to have to pay taxes to bring the goods into Brasil, which are 2 to 3 times the cost of the product. So if you bring a new $600 computer, they're going to charge you $1,200-$1,800 to bring it with you.

In terms of the city, Rio arguably has the most beautiful natural setting in the world. It's an enormous city (considerably larger than both Houston or Los Angeles) and has some of the finest beaches on the planet. It's much, much different than anything in the United States, but it could be an incredible experience for you and your family.

In 2014 you have the World Cup coming to Brasil, with the Summer Olympics coming to Rio in 2016. Obviously going to Rio would be far different than Houston. Personally I would go to Rio in a heartbeat because it's a gorgeous city and I would love to have an experience like that...however I don't have children to worry about, like you. That's something you're going to need to figure out on your own.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:13 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,389,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I'm in the process of moving to São Paulo, which isn't too far away from Rio (both are enormous cities), so I'm going through a similar experience as you.

There's no question that Rio is far more dangerous than any city in the United States. Far more. That said, similar to the United States, the crime is mostly concentrated to certain areas, so there are plenty of safe places in the city where you can raise a family. As my girlfriend has told me "you just need to be a bit more alert". You can't walk down the street, holding your iPod or Android phone openly, because it makes you a target for robbery. I don't know if it's different out in LA, but here in Boston people walk around with iPads, Androids, whatever on the subway without any fear.

Since you're in LA, your land values are probably similar to mine. In terms of houses/apartments, you're going to find they're considerably cheaper than those in Los Angeles (though I think they may be about the same as those in Houston). You should probably look for a fully-furnished apartment though, because oftentimes in Brasil, you will need to buy all the furniture, down to the refrigerator and stove...so keep an eye on what you're looking to rent.

In terms of consumer-discretionary retail (iPods, TVs, clothes, American restaurants, etc.) you're going to find goods are far more expensive. I'm talking 3 or 4 times the cost...so if you do decide on Brasil, buy lots of new clothes, electronics, etc. before you go. But, if you do this you need to make sure that most of your electronics are under $500 and you keep your receipts. If you don't keep your receipts and/or the electronics cost more than $500, you're going to have to pay taxes to bring the goods into Brasil, which are 2 to 3 times the cost of the product. So if you bring a new $600 computer, they're going to charge you $1,200-$1,800 to bring it with you.

In terms of the city, Rio arguably has the most beautiful natural setting in the world. It's an enormous city (considerably larger than both Houston or Los Angeles) and has some of the finest beaches on the planet. It's much, much different than anything in the United States, but it could be an incredible experience for you and your family.

In 2014 you have the World Cup coming to Brasil, with the Summer Olympics coming to Rio in 2016. Obviously going to Rio would be far different than Houston. Personally I would go to Rio in a heartbeat because it's a gorgeous city and I would love to have an experience like that...however I don't have children to worry about, like you. That's something you're going to need to figure out on your own.
The beaches in Rio are nice, as long as you dont go into the water. The best beaches in Brasil are not in its cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or