U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for families
Houston, Texas 9 45.00%
Los Angeles, California 2 10.00%
Rio de Janiero, Brazil 9 45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 05:29 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,505,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
The beaches in Rio are nice, as long as you dont go into the water. The best beaches in Brasil are not in its cities.
Why wouldn't you go into the water in Rio? Though you're right about there being better beaches than Copacabana and Ipanema...perhaps I should have the most famous beaches, not necessarily the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 06:41 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Moved to the appropriate forum - it's not a cityvscity topic per the room guidelines.
The OP has already started this thread in this forum. Maybe merge this with the other one?

Old 07-25-2011, 06:48 PM

17,446 posts, read 23,948,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Houston: Much, much, much more affordable, family friendly and overall safer than L.A. However, very sprawled and some hellish weather. Also not very exciting.

Los Angeles: Fantastic weather year round, cosmpolitan, much more dynamic. However, very expensive, sprawled (better than Houston though) and mentioned before, higher crime, but as long as you stay out of the bad neighborhoods you should be fine.
Houston's level of crime is higher than that of Los Angeles, although the level of crime in both cities is lower than in the 1980s and 1990s.

The only California city with higher crime than Houston is Oakland.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:55 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,389,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Why wouldn't you go into the water in Rio? Though you're right about there being better beaches than Copacabana and Ipanema...perhaps I should have the most famous beaches, not necessarily the best.
The water from beaches in Brazilian cities tend to be a little bit on the dirty side. Rio is better than Salvador, which has ridiculous amounts of trash in the water, but it has more than I am used to. I find this to be less of a problem in the countryside. The beach always is great to relax at, might again I prefer less crowded beaches. If I was single I might have a different opinion.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:28 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,594,400 times
Yes, the water tends to be dirty, but I've been in it and never suffered any horrible side effects. I think ocean water has a chance of being dirty anywhere.

I happen to love Rio. I never lived there but I visited in 2000. It is, to date, my best vacation experience. The people were wonderful--very friendly and helpful, I felt very welcome there.

The only issue might be the language and/or culture barrier. I spoke Spanish but not Portuguese when I was there and definitely feel that I missed out on the cultural nuances (although we got along fine with English and Spanish). Most of the people that you would interact with will probably speak English (based on your salary, etc.) That said, life is very good in Rio, especially those that have $$. I also agree that the crime really won't affect you much if you don't run in those circles and avoid certain areas, just as in LA or Houston, for that matter.

There is also tons of culture in Rio, much more I think than LA or Houston (Houston would definitely be a second). Moreover, you can take really interesting weekend trips to places like Buzios or Angra Dos Reys, which are smaller, charming tons outside of the city.

The only way you will know which decision to make is if you visit both places. I think that you would be happy in either: both will give your kids a new cultural perspective, Rio moreso for being an international destination but Texas as well.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:45 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,389,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Yes, the water tends to be dirty, but I've been in it and never suffered any horrible side effects. I think ocean water has a chance of being dirty anywhere.

I happen to love Rio. I never lived there but I visited in 2000. It is, to date, my best vacation experience. The people were wonderful--very friendly and helpful, I felt very welcome there.

The only issue might be the language and/or culture barrier. I spoke Spanish but not Portuguese when I was there and definitely feel that I missed out on the cultural nuances (although we got along fine with English and Spanish). Most of the people that you would interact with will probably speak English (based on your salary, etc.) That said, life is very good in Rio, especially those that have $$. I also agree that the crime really won't affect you much if you don't run in those circles and avoid certain areas, just as in LA or Houston, for that matter.

There is also tons of culture in Rio, much more I think than LA or Houston (Houston would definitely be a second). Moreover, you can take really interesting weekend trips to places like Buzios or Angra Dos Reys, which are smaller, charming tons outside of the city.

The only way you will know which decision to make is if you visit both places. I think that you would be happy in either: both will give your kids a new cultural perspective, Rio moreso for being an international destination but Texas as well.
Rio is great to visit but it is among my least favorite Brazilian cities. Too touristy. Also while people are friendly, Brazilians are VERY friendly in general, they are less friendly than other areas of Brasil.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 13 days ago)

5,173 posts, read 8,025,013 times
Gosh, technology is awesome!!!!!!

Preview Rio on your own time before even stepping there: rio de janeiro - Google Maps

Old 07-25-2011, 08:22 PM

54 posts, read 101,436 times
Does anyone live in Alphaville? If so what are your impressions? From what I am getting Rio is the LA of Brazil on steroids, lol. I doubt I can get a higher allowance for housing since they company is eating the school cost for the kids. My 15 yr old daughter is stuck on Harvard so her commute to school will be quite long to say the least. After reading some of the posts my wife is coming around about the move to Brazil. I know the company has some contacts with the developer of Alphaville, but isn't that considered the suburbs of Rio, if you can call them that. LOL I can't wait for the ten minute hang gliding lesson, I was told its worth every penny. Any expats or locals that want to connect families can email me at thewiltshiregroup@gmail.com. I relocated to LA from the south 22yrs ago to attend UCLA, it looks like I've come full circle heading down south again. Its funny all my short term assignments have been in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, lol my biggest career move is in Rio a city I've yet to visit. I'll be flying down to Rio in a couple of weeks for work and an introduction. Any suggestions for my three week visit, that my wife won't send a PI to get evidence LOL.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:29 PM

54 posts, read 101,436 times
Does anyone live in Alphaville? If so what are your impressions? From what I am getting Rio is the LA of Brazil on steroids, lol. I doubt I can get a higher allowance for housing since they company is eating the school cost for the kids. My 15 yr old daughter is stuck on Harvard so her commute to school will be quite long to say the least. After reading some of the posts my wife is coming around about the move to Brazil. I know the company has some contacts with the developer of Alphaville, but isn't that considered the suburbs of Rio, if you can call them that. LOL I can't wait for the ten minute hang gliding lesson, I was told its worth every penny. Any expats or locals that want to connect families can email me at thewiltshiregroup@gmail.com. I relocated to LA from the south 22yrs ago to attend UCLA, it looks like I've come full circle heading down south again. Its funny all my short term assignments have been in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, lol my biggest career move is in Rio a city I've yet to visit. I'll be flying down to Rio in a couple of weeks for work and an introduction. Any suggestions for my three week visit, that my wife won't send a PI to get evidence LOL.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:51 PM

348 posts, read 558,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wargod View Post
Oh man. You're in trouble.
Brazilian women aren't exactly modest and passive.
Watch your daughter like a hawk.
I'm sure your wife'll be watching you like one too...
We're talking Afro-America+Southern Europe....all in one package.
It's a pretty steamy culture. Especially Rio.

Alphaville is a chain of planned communities built throughout Brazil. I honestly don't know anything about the ones in Rio. I'm only familiar with Sao Paulo's Alphaville developments, and the one in Recife. These communities are secluded, guarded, safe, upscale. You'll definitely make friends FAST. Especially in a gated community. Brazilians are extremely friendly, sociable, open and full of life. The friends you make there will be your friends for life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or