U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for families
Houston, Texas 9 45.00%
Los Angeles, California 2 10.00%
Rio de Janiero, Brazil 9 45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 05:33 PM

54 posts, read 101,544 times

Advertisements

tmac9wr quote:
"I'm in the process of moving to São Paulo, which isn't too far away from Rio (both are enormous cities), so I'm going through a similar experience as you.

There's no question that Rio is far more dangerous than any city in the United States. Far more. That said, similar to the United States, the crime is mostly concentrated to certain areas, so there are plenty of safe places in the city where you can raise a family. As my girlfriend has told me "you just need to be a bit more alert". You can't walk down the street, holding your iPod or Android phone openly, because it makes you a target for robbery. I don't know if it's different out in LA, but here in Boston people walk around with iPads, Androids, whatever on the subway without any fear.

Since you're in LA, your land values are probably similar to mine. In terms of houses/apartments, you're going to find they're considerably cheaper than those in Los Angeles (though I think they may be about the same as those in Houston). You should probably look for a fully-furnished apartment though, because oftentimes in Brasil, you will need to buy all the furniture, down to the refrigerator and stove...so keep an eye on what you're looking to rent.

In terms of consumer-discretionary retail (iPods, TVs, clothes, American restaurants, etc.) you're going to find goods are far more expensive. I'm talking 3 or 4 times the cost...so if you do decide on Brasil, buy lots of new clothes, electronics, etc. before you go. But, if you do this you need to make sure that most of your electronics are under $500 and you keep your receipts. If you don't keep your receipts and/or the electronics cost more than $500, you're going to have to pay taxes to bring the goods into Brasil, which are 2 to 3 times the cost of the product. So if you bring a new $600 computer, they're going to charge you $1,200-$1,800 to bring it with you.

In terms of the city, Rio arguably has the most beautiful natural setting in the world. It's an enormous city (considerably larger than both Houston or Los Angeles) and has some of the finest beaches on the planet. It's much, much different than anything in the United States, but it could be an incredible experience for you and your family.

In 2014 you have the World Cup coming to Brasil, with the Summer Olympics coming to Rio in 2016. Obviously going to Rio would be far different than Houston. Personally I would go to Rio in a heartbeat because it's a gorgeous city and I would love to have an experience like that...however I don't have children to worry about, like you. That's something you're going to need to figure out on your own."

Thank you for the information and it will be different having children.
[LEFT]

[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 05:53 PM

15,951 posts, read 36,201,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
hahha I remember going out with my girlfriend and her friend (both from São Paulo) and we were coming back from Boston at like 3:30 in the morning. We were in a quiet little suburb, and we were approaching a red light--quickly! To my horror, my girlfriend's friend saw no one was coming and floored it through the red light. The Americans in the car flipped out, while my girlfriend and the driver turned back to us and said "It's night! Are you crazy? You cannot stop at a red light!".

Hilarious/Terrifying.
I also think that partially, since it's allowable, and everyone does it....and traffic cops don't bother people about it there. Therefore, everyone just does it.

I didn't drive when I lived in SP/Rio, I was often the one walking around at 3am, especially in Sao Paulo. Lots of places I wouldnt' walk around at 3am, but where I lived, I felt fine with it after barhopping. (Jardins/Pinheiros area of SP).

But when it becomes culturally acceptable to run red lights at night....than even in the safest of safest neighborhoods, it's pretty difficult to decide and sit those things out!

In SP, they use to joke that it was the city of 4am traffic jams, due to all the people driving home from the bars/clubs. That's kind of interesting, and a bit nerve-wracking too - implies great nightlife, and prompts the question, are they all sober?

Old 07-27-2011, 06:15 PM

2,578 posts, read 4,662,158 times
No! You can bet they are not all sober!

Old 07-27-2011, 06:24 PM

2,578 posts, read 4,662,158 times
About the traffic lights, it is allowed to pass through red lights after 10 pm in Brazil. Only after 10 pm. Don't do that at 9:30 pm, or you're gonna be fined by the electronic surveillance system (there are cameras in many traffic lights to register infractions like excess speed and trespassing of red lights).

If you're not sure that there aren't any cars coming in the other street, don't pass the red light, even if it's 2 am. The fact you stop on a red light at 2 am doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to be robbed. The chances are small. Just take a look around to see if there are any suspicious individuals. And never cross the red light if you're not sure the other street is empty and no cars are coming.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:28 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,401,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
About the traffic lights, it is allowed to pass through red lights after 10 pm in Brazil. Only after 10 pm. Don't do that at 9:30 pm, or you're gonna be fined by the electronic surveillance system (there are cameras in many traffic lights to register infractions like excess speed and trespassing of red lights).

If you're not sure that there aren't any cars coming in the other street, don't pass the red light, even if it's 2 am. The fact you stop on a red light at 2 am doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to be robbed. The chances are small. Just take a look around to see if there are any suspicious individuals. And never cross the red light if you're not sure the other street is empty and no cars are coming.
Oh yeah. Those cameras are real and they watch them. My wife found that out the hard way a few years ago.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:50 PM

199 posts, read 599,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wargod View Post
My company wants to relocate me and my family from Los Angeles to Rio de Janerio in a few months. I work in the oil industry. I have no choice but to relocate due to several new contracts they have received. The contract in Rio de Janerio would pay around $10,000 reals a month, a housing allowance of $5,000 reals a month, and my 3 children would have their private schooling paid at the British or American School in Rio de Janeiro. The contract would start in November 2011 and end in November 2016. We stay in a safe family friendly area of LA now and my wife is not wanting to move due to the violence she has heard exists in Rio. Are the gangs in Rio worse than the ones we have here in LA? What type of housing could I get with my allowance? I would need a 4 bedroom Villa or apartment in a family friendly area near the schools since my wife does not work. How would you compare Rio and LA? My other choice is to move to Houston, TX for 3 yrs at my current salary. Would Houston be a better choice without the perks, for a family friendly city. I have two 5 year old twins and a 15 year old, they love the beach. Please help me decide my family's fate for the next 4 yrs.

Do you or anyone in your family speak Portuguese? Rio seems like a bad option. The violence is a bit out of control. The gangs in Brazil are far worse than in L.A.. In Rio, armed drug gangs control entire neighborhoods, known as favelas. In the favelas there is little police presence at all, and when the police enter the slum, residents might have to hide out in their houses for the days to escape the violence outside between the drug gangs and the police. Violence is not only in the slums, its everywhere. People are often mugged in the famous Copacabana and Ipanema beaches at night.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:05 PM

15,951 posts, read 36,201,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatitdo? View Post
Do you or anyone in your family speak Portuguese? Rio seems like a bad option. The violence is a bit out of control. The gangs in Brazil are far worse than in L.A.. In Rio, armed drug gangs control entire neighborhoods, known as favelas. In the favelas there is little police presence at all, and when the police enter the slum, residents might have to hide out in their houses for the days to escape the violence outside between the drug gangs and the police. Violence is not only in the slums, its everywhere. People are often mugged in the famous Copacabana and Ipanema beaches at night.
In the daytime, there is a lot of police presense throughout Capocabana and Ipanema. It seems like there was at night as well, but I can't remember.

I was mostly living in Sao Paulo, but when I lived in Rio de Jainero for two months between Christmas to Carnival, I stayed on Copacabana Beach. I went almost every night. Yes, true, there are robberies and muggings. I was never the victim of one. I'm a blond-haired gringo who certainly has street smarts, but went drinking most nights at the beach, and I do agree Copacabana isn't a great one to be late at night - way too many prostitutes at night on Copacabana, and a few questionable locals about as well. I did see a few purse snatchings. I also had 4 streetkids attempt to rob me once, but they were unsuccessful, and I went about on my way.

I went up to Ipanema a number of times, and very upscale, a lot more money, more wealth, few if any prostitutes comb that beach like they do in Copacabana at night. Actually a few times I walked the length of both beaches (quite a long distance) late at night...drinking beer in the various kiosks along the way. They're well-lit. If you venture off to take a leak in the darkest of darkest places, I could see it being possible someone could follow you into the darkness. On Copacabana, when you get near a place called HELP! DIsco, which I heard closed down, you'd have a concentration of prostitutes and some ladyboys, where you'd want to keep your awareness going.

Actually I'm a bit surprised someone from NYC would say all this...as it's the same stuff that people always said about NYC seemingly forever. Yet, having lived in NYC for a few years (1998-2000), I found that NYC was a much safer city than every rumor I'd ever heard of it.

There is certainly crime and bad things that happen in both NYC and Brazil....but just because they happen, doesn't mean they happen to everyone who goes there.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:33 PM

209 posts, read 493,457 times
Take your wife and kids and go to Rio!

I teach in a school in Beijing very similar to the American School of Rio. (In fact, I probably have colleagues who have taught there.) Your kids will get an excellent education and be well taken care of by excellent teachers and administrators - much better than any public school anywhere in Texas. (I'm from Houston and taught in the public schools for six years.)

Life in developing countries like Brazil for those of us on ex-pat salaries is amazing. You can afford house keepers, drivers, private language instructors, etc...

Plus, the travel opportunities throughout Brazil and South America will be fantastic.

Look, I'm from Houston. It's a great city and has a lot to offer. However, the chance to live overseas may not come around again. I really think you will find it rewarding.

Scott

Old 07-31-2011, 09:59 PM

230 posts, read 783,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonreadhead View Post
Take your wife and kids and go to Rio!

I teach in a school in Beijing very similar to the American School of Rio. (In fact, I probably have colleagues who have taught there.) Your kids will get an excellent education and be well taken care of by excellent teachers and administrators - much better than any public school anywhere in Texas. (I'm from Houston and taught in the public schools for six years.)

Life in developing countries like Brazil for those of us on ex-pat salaries is amazing. You can afford house keepers, drivers, private language instructors, etc...

Plus, the travel opportunities throughout Brazil and South America will be fantastic.

Look, I'm from Houston. It's a great city and has a lot to offer. However, the chance to live overseas may not come around again. I really think you will find it rewarding.

Scott
I agree he should come to Rio for the experience and luckily his company is picking up the tab at the American school because from what he stated is his expat package he won't be living too high on the hog. Brazil is a pretty expensive country and 10,000 reais for a family of four is good but not great. Unless his company is going to throw it in the package I really doubt he is going to have a full time driver and probably not even a full time housekeeper. His full 5,000 housing allowance will easily be eaten up also. And not even in the best neighborhoods of Ipanema or Leblon but in Barra which is new and modern but has a more cheap rental market.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:13 AM

209 posts, read 493,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
I agree he should come to Rio for the experience and luckily his company is picking up the tab at the American school because from what he stated is his expat package he won't be living too high on the hog. Brazil is a pretty expensive country and 10,000 reais for a family of four is good but not great. Unless his company is going to throw it in the package I really doubt he is going to have a full time driver and probably not even a full time housekeeper. His full 5,000 housing allowance will easily be eaten up also. And not even in the best neighborhoods of Ipanema or Leblon but in Barra which is new and modern but has a more cheap rental market.
You may be right about that. I don't know the particulars of how far his money will go in Rio. I just made the assumption that if his package included tuition at the American School he'd be able to live high on the hog.

The four to five years his company wants to send him is a long time if he can't afford a bubble to live in if he and his family aren't happy there.

S
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or