U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for families
Houston, Texas 9 45.00%
Los Angeles, California 2 10.00%
Rio de Janiero, Brazil 9 45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 03:41 AM

15,969 posts, read 36,514,327 times

Advertisements

Actually I don't know his situation either. I assumed he would be living the expat lifestyle offered by companies, which is usually quite amazing.

If not, it would change things quite a bit. Than again, if not, he salary probably would be even lower in Houston, and the cost of living higher. (Usually companies pay a lot more to send people abroad).

If his kids CAN go to an International School...that would certainly be a great place for them to attend. I'd personally think a better education all the way around in every conceivable way than 99% of what is offered in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 04:27 AM

230 posts, read 791,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Actually I don't know his situation either. I assumed he would be living the expat lifestyle offered by companies, which is usually quite amazing.

If not, it would change things quite a bit. Than again, if not, he salary probably would be even lower in Houston, and the cost of living higher. (Usually companies pay a lot more to send people abroad).

If his kids CAN go to an International School...that would certainly be a great place for them to attend. I'd personally think a better education all the way around in every conceivable way than 99% of what is offered in the U.S.
Don't get me wrong, he won't be living a bad life. It is just that Brazil has become expensive and the numbers he mentioned (not sure if in this thread or another) which are about normal for expats, who are not high level execs, will not allow him to live like a king. The days when your average engineer would get transfered here with his family and rent an apartment a block from the beach in Ipanema, are over. But how he will live is still better than 90% of the people here. The guy is not going to be starving.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:20 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,246,184 times
Rio de Janeiro ? never ! I have a Brazilian friend from Rio (executive at Banco Do Brazil in Paris) and she told me taht although they are Rio natives, her next of kin live in gated communities and beside the rampant insecurity life is quite expensive. Her dream country for expatriation besides France would be ...Malaysia no1, Thailand no2, weird for someone from Brazil, but proof that this country is not living up to its reputation as a tropical paradise.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:54 AM

597 posts, read 1,163,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Rio de Janeiro ? never ! I have a Brazilian friend from Rio (executive at Banco Do Brazil in Paris) and she told me taht although they are Rio natives, her next of kin live in gated communities and beside the rampant insecurity life is quite expensive. Her dream country for expatriation besides France would be ...Malaysia no1, Thailand no2, weird for someone from Brazil, but proof that this country is not living up to its reputation as a tropical paradise.
Your brazilian friend must be a snob and dazzled by the lights of Paris.
She must be those people who live in gated communities and do not know nothing about the city where they live.
They think their "gated communities" are the "center of universe".

Old 08-01-2011, 07:07 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,246,184 times
wELL, Brazilian, I admit she is not the average Brazilian, she very much into museums (so Paris is a treat to her) and classical culture.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:48 AM

597 posts, read 1,163,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
wELL, Brazilian, I admit she is not the average Brazilian, she very much into museums (so Paris is a treat to her) and classical culture.
I am sure she doesn't knows the "Brazilian Culture".
"average Brazilian": What do you mean?

Old 08-01-2011, 11:48 AM

230 posts, read 791,061 times
Brazil is not a tropical paradise. Never has been never will be. Only the truly ignorant can imagine it as such. It is a real country, large and complex. Larger than the continental United States. These people who spend thier lives behind gated walls are not the norm here in Rio. Yes many people live in gated apartment buildings and it sucks that they even have to live like this, but even the majority of wealthy venture out on the streets. There is a only a small minority of the super wealthy who have body guards and such.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:12 PM

2,677 posts, read 4,730,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
Brazil is not a tropical paradise. Never has been never will be. Only the truly ignorant can imagine it as such. It is a real country, large and complex. Larger than the continental United States.
You're quite right when you define Brazil as a "real country, large and complex". A country that is the 5th largest in the world in land area, and has the 5th largest population (and will have the 5th largest GDP soon) can not be simplified as "tropical paradise".

But there are some areas inside Brazil that could be defined as "tropical paradises".

Old 08-01-2011, 03:16 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,472,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
You're quite right when you define Brazil as a "real country, large and complex". A country that is the 5th largest in the world in land area, and has the 5th largest population (and will have the 5th largest GDP soon) can not be simplified as "tropical paradise".

But there are some areas inside Brazil that could be defined as "tropical paradises".
Several of the beaches I went to in brasil could be considered tropical paradises especially in the NE. I find Rio Grande Do Sul has a disagreeable climate though. It is funny how many Americans think Brasil relies on tourism like Jamaica or Costa Rica.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:15 AM

2,677 posts, read 4,730,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
It is funny how many Americans think Brasil relies on tourism like Jamaica or Costa Rica.
If Brazil had to rely on tourism, we would be bankrupt already. The number of foreign tourists visiting Brazil each year is ridiculously small. We are very underrated as a touristic destination, and the foreign press over exaggerate the problems with crime and violence.

Fortunately, our economy relies much more on the exports of the Embraer airplanes and executive jets than it relies on tourism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or