U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for families
Houston, Texas 9 45.00%
Los Angeles, California 2 10.00%
Rio de Janiero, Brazil 9 45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 12:03 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,390,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
If Brazil had to rely on tourism, we would be bankrupt already. The number of foreign tourists visiting Brazil each year is ridiculously small. We are very underrated as a touristic destination, and the foreign press over exaggerate the problems with crime and violence.

Fortunately, our economy relies much more on the exports of the Embraer airplanes and executive jets than it relies on tourism.
Some of that is Brasil's fault. I am not sure if they require Europeans to get a VISA to come to Brasil, but they do require Americans to do so. Sometimes you can mail it in, but some jurisdictions require you to go in person and they are mess. I do realize that the USA makes Brasilians go through a much worse process to get a Visa to enter the US, but still it hurts tourism there.

Second, it is so expensive to fly to Brasil these days. A few years ago a round trip cost under $1000 but now the cost can be around $2000 for a very long flight. It is usually a 24 hour process, and a big pain in the ass.

Third, Brasil has recently started promoting itself in the US, but a few years ago they did almost no advertising. There are Americans who have no clue where there own state is on a map, or where DC is, much less where is Brasil. There are Americans who think Brasil is in Africa or next to Mexico.

Fourth, it has become expensive. A city like SP or Rio can easily be as costly as an American city, but even cheaper areas of Brasil are not cheap these days for Americans. Dollar has declined and Real has increased. Maybe Euros go further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 12:33 PM

2,564 posts, read 4,652,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Some of that is Brasil's fault. I am not sure if they require Europeans to get a VISA to come to Brasil, but they do require Americans to do so. Sometimes you can mail it in, but some jurisdictions require you to go in person and they are mess. I do realize that the USA makes Brasilians go through a much worse process to get a Visa to enter the US, but still it hurts tourism there.

Second, it is so expensive to fly to Brasil these days. A few years ago a round trip cost under $1000 but now the cost can be around $2000 for a very long flight. It is usually a 24 hour process, and a big pain in the ass.

Third, Brasil has recently started promoting itself in the US, but a few years ago they did almost no advertising. There are Americans who have no clue where there own state is on a map, or where DC is, much less where is Brasil. There are Americans who think Brasil is in Africa or next to Mexico.

Fourth, it has become expensive. A city like SP or Rio can easily be as costly as an American city, but even cheaper areas of Brasil are not cheap these days for Americans. Dollar has declined and Real has increased. Maybe Euros go further.

I agree that some of that is Brasil's fault. Specially about the lack of advertising and promotion.

About visas, it's all a matter of the principle of reciprocity. Brazil adopts the principle of reciprocity in its diplomatic relations. Brazilian citizens are not required a visa to enter the European Union, so, citizens from the European Union are not required a visa to enter Brazil. Maybe this is one reason why there are much more European tourists in Brazil than American tourists.

And yes, many things here are expensive, although some things are cheaper, specially food and beverages. And the exchange rate is not helping tourism, since the Brazilian currency (Real) is currently overvalued.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
I agree that some of that is Brasil's fault. Specially about the lack of advertising and promotion.

About visas, it's all a matter of the principle of reciprocity. Brazil adopts the principle of reciprocity in its diplomatic relations. Brazilian citizens are not required a visa to enter the European Union, so, citizens from the European Union are not required a visa to enter Brazil. Maybe this is one reason why there are much more European tourists in Brazil than American tourists.

And yes, many things here are expensive, although some things are cheaper, specially food and beverages. And the exchange rate is not helping tourism, since the Brazilian currency (Real) is currently overvalued.
I understand why Brasil requires Americans to get a visa. I personally dont blame them. However, I feel it hurts Brasil much more than America. The whole process is a big turnoff for lots of Americans. Also the process of getting an American visa is much more serious. You need to make an appointment to one of the 5-6 consulates in Brasil, go in person, wait in line for several hours dealing with rude staff, and then have an interview where they can deny you for any reason. The brazilian Visa process is pretty much guaranteed as long as you dont make any mistakes on your application form and pay the small fee. It is just an annoyance. You can even mail it in.

I would love for America to open up more to Brasil, but let's face it Brasil is really cutting off its nose to spite the face.

Yes, food and drinks can be cheap in brasil Even really high quality food that would cost a lot in the USA can be cheap in Brasil. Labor also tends to be cheap. What is not cheap is transportation, lodging (if you want to stay somewhere acceptable), medicine, etc. I dont know how the poor people make it in Brasil. Every time I go to brasil I bring some metamucil for my mother in law because it cost its weight in gold in brasil.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:51 AM

2,564 posts, read 4,652,276 times
Medicines are really expensive here. Poor people usually buy the "generic" medicines, which has no brand name, only the scientific name. The laboratories that produce the "generics" have some tax exemptions. Unfortunately, not all branded medicines have a "generic" counterpart.

Some kinds of medicines can be bought at subsidized prices in the "Farmacia Popular" social program.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:34 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,505,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
What is not cheap is transportation, lodging (if you want to stay somewhere acceptable), medicine, etc. I dont know how the poor people make it in Brasil.
Not to mention the insane prices of retail goods such as computers, iPods, clothes (American brands, at least), etc.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:13 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,742,485 times
If I were u I would choose Rio. I hear Huston sucks.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Not to mention the insane prices of retail goods such as computers, iPods, clothes (American brands, at least), etc.
I dont buy them when I am in Brasil. I never lived there longer for a year at a time. I dont buy clothes, electronics, etc.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:30 PM

999 posts, read 1,470,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
If I were u I would choose Rio. I hear Huston sucks.
Houston doesn't suck. It's just not particualry a very interesting a city. There are things to do, but really it's definitely not a very dynamic city at all. Especially when compared to Rio and Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or