U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for families
Houston, Texas 9 45.00%
Los Angeles, California 2 10.00%
Rio de Janiero, Brazil 9 45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:54 AM

54 posts, read 101,909 times

Advertisements

My company wants to relocate me and my family from Los Angeles to Rio de Janerio in a few months. I work in the oil industry. I have no choice but to relocate due to several new contracts they have received. The contract in Rio de Janerio would pay around $10,000 reals a month, a housing allowance of $5,000 reals a month, and my 3 children would have their private schooling paid at the British or American School in Rio de Janeiro. The contract would start in November 2011 and end in November 2016. We stay in a safe family friendly area of LA now and my wife is not wanting to move due to the violence she has heard exists in Rio. Are the gangs in Rio worse than the ones we have here in LA? What type of housing could I get with my allowance? I would need a 4 bedroom Villa or apartment in a family friendly area near the schools since my wife does not work. How would you compare Rio and LA? My other choice is to move to Houston, TX for 3 yrs at my current salary. Would Houston be a better choice without the perks, for a family friendly city. I have two 5 year old twins and a 15 year old, they love the beach. Please help me decide my family's fate for the next 4 yrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 08:10 AM

54 posts, read 101,909 times
Default Moving to Rio de Janiero (or Houston) from Los Angeles

My company wants to relocate me and my family from Los Angeles to Rio de Janerio in a few months. I work in the oil industry. I have no choice but to relocate due to several new contracts they have received. The contract in Rio de Janerio would pay around $10,000 reals a month, a housing allowance of $5,000 reals a month, and my 3 children would have their private schooling paid at the British or American School in Rio de Janeiro. The contract would start in November 2011 and end in November 2016. We stay in a safe family friendly area of LA now and my wife is not wanting to move due to the violence she has heard exists in Rio. Are the gangs in Rio worse than the ones we have here in LA? What type of housing could I get with my allowance? I would need a 4 bedroom Villa or apartment in a family friendly area near the schools since my wife does not work. How would you compare Rio and LA? My other choice is to move to Houston, TX for 3 yrs at my current salary. Would Houston be a better choice without the perks, for a family friendly city. I have two 5 year old twins and a 15 year old, they love the beach. Please help me decide my family's fate for the next 4 yrs.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:19 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,199,312 times
I vote for Houston, absolutely no question about it.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:32 AM

15,959 posts, read 36,347,486 times
Wow, I'd love to have those types of problems!

I'd probably go with Ipanema...a lot of wealth and money there. Although there are tons of pockets of wealth all over the place for people who'd have that kind of income living there.

I lived in Brazil for six months...and was making around US$500/month, and I'm a blond-haired American guy. Whenever I met expat types like yourself, they were living in some pretty amazing places, with maids, and the whole 9 yards.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:35 AM

1,806 posts, read 3,395,459 times
With the gangs, LAs gangs are numerous, but generally if you aren't involved in that lifestyle, it doesn't affect you. They tend to leave people alone who aren't part of it. In Rio, you have regular street gangs in the bad neighborhoods just like here, but then you have the organized gangs which function more like paramilitary and they are the ones doing kidnappings, ransoms, etc.

Expat living in Rio means you are walled off from the rest of the city. Your community are the other expats. Likely you will live in a gated compound/apartment complex that is largely self sufficient.

Rio is not as cosmopolitan as Sao Paolo. English is not as common as in SP. The Brazilian gov't is trying to get Rio up to speed for the Olympics in 2016.

As to Houston, probably more familiar. You will likely live in a family friendly neighborhood. Houston is very sprawled, but it isn't dense like here in LA. The beaches are nearby like Galveston, but in terms of nice beaches, I think the South Bay LA County and OC beaches are better (cleaner, better class of people).

Old 07-25-2011, 09:02 AM

999 posts, read 1,479,954 times
Houston: Much, much, much more affordable, family friendly and overall safer than L.A. However, very sprawled and some hellish weather. Also not very exciting.

Los Angeles: Fantastic weather year round, cosmpolitan, much more dynamic. However, very expensive, sprawled (better than Houston though) and mentioned before, higher crime, but as long as you stay out of the bad neighborhoods you should be fine.

If you are looking for family friendly overall, Houston might be better, is your money will take you and your family much further than it would in L.A.

If it were me I would choose to L.A. though as I need diversity and little more excitement than Houston can offer.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:04 AM

6,349 posts, read 8,436,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wargod View Post
I have a Brazilian wife and have spent a considerable amount of time in Brasil. I recommend you go to Rio. It will be a experience that you will never forget, but you will have to make some adjustments.

The gangs in Rio are WAAAY worse than LA gangs. It can be a dangerous city, but by being smart and using common sense you and your family should be ok. Dont go to dangerous areas. Dont walk alone at night. Dont wear flash jewelry or show valuables in the open. ETC.

Rio is the LA of Brasil. There is an argument where I live about where would you live, "beach or mountains." In Rio you get both in a tropical setting. It is a beautiful city. The film industry of Brasil is located there. People of Rio tend to be stereotyped as vain and party goers, similar to LA. Lots of culture lots of activities.

Rio is not a cheap city. It is probably cheaper than LA, for some things, but you would be surprised by the costs. Anything American or foreign can be insanely expensive. Nike shows go for 2-4x times there US price. Same thing with clothes, electronics, cars, cell phones, etc. Food is cheap. A haircut can easily cost you $30 or $40 there. Traffic is terrible. It is more dense than LA and a much bigger city. It has a very vibrant and festive atmosphere.

The American School is world class. If your company is paying for it than you are getting a great deal. It is like an expensive prep school in the US. They will mingle with the elite of Rio.

For 5000 reis per month you should be able to get a really nice apartment in a good location. You could live close to the beach and live ina building with a electric security fence and at least 1 security guard.

I highly recommend the Rio move. I wouldnt want to live there permanently, but for 6 months you would have a great time. I imagine your kids would love it to. Brazilians tend to have very favorable views of Americans, especially the younger ones. They would probably have lots of friends. Cant comment on your wife because I am not sure what she likes.

Brasil is also a rapidly developing economy. It isnt developing as fast as China, but it is up there. Work experience in Brasil can only help you in the future.

I love Brasil, and living there was one of the best decisions of my life.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:08 AM

22,395 posts, read 23,910,306 times
I suspect that, like any major city in the world, Rio has its violence unevenly distributed with the bulk of it occurring in the rough favelas rather than the many middle and upper income neighborhoods in the city. It is doubtful that you will be trying to save money by living in the favelas or that the international school your children will be going to will be located anywhere near the rougher parts of the city. Basically, don't live in the equivalent of Skid Row or the worse parts of South Central and you should be okay.

Also, I think it's pretty easy to look for a Rio expat forum in English for you to ask many residents there directly about what it's like.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:26 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,199,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
For 5000 reis per month you should be able to get a really nice apartment in a good location. You could live close to the beach and live ina building with a electric security fence and at least 1 security guard.

I think it is all about priorities. It does not matter how safe your place is, at some point you will have to go out. I wouldn't want to live in a bubble, even if it is a golden one.

No amount of perks would attract me to live in a place like that.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:29 AM

6,349 posts, read 8,436,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post

I think it is all about priorities. It does not matter how safe your place is, at some point you will have to go out. I wouldn't want to live in a bubble, even if it is a golden one.

No amount of perks would attract me to live in a place like that.
These things are common in all of Brasil for an apartment building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or