Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 08:30 AM

25,956 posts, read 24,684,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
This also brings up a good question I forgot to ask. How easy is it to live without a car in Rio de Janiero and São Paulo? I am sure Florianopolis is much tougher.

Also is one city significantly cheaper than the other?

Thanks for all the advice eveyone I really appreciate it!
SP and RJ both have metro systems, that of SP is more extensive and still being expanded.
In most other cities they have lots of buses, Sorocaba is very much into cycling.
With a city such as SP, you will probably walk a lot more than you are used to in the US. The metro network is only so dense and if you don't like crowded buses, you either have to go by car or walk or even ride a bike, which can be a bit dangerous in some places.

Explore SP, Rio etc. on Google street view, it gives you a good impression of what those places are like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 10:33 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,855,289 times
Quote:
I definitely like some pleasure first. I like cities where I can really enjoy myself in a variety of ways (nightlife, museums, festivals, food, outdoors, public spaces, shopping, etc.)

Probably I will be working very, very hard. At least in the beginning.

I can handle both fast and slow paced, but can only handle slow paced places if it is more of an outdoorsy type of city. Places like San Diego, Santa Barbara, Honolulu, Boulder (Colorado) I can handle because they might not offer fast paced type of life, but in terms of outdoor activties, there is plenty to do but still have plenty of things to do in the city.

I am not sure what you they consider gringo in Brazil but not sure if I am one. Was born in Puerto Rico and my first and last name are very Portuguese. My great great grandpa emigrated from Portugal to this side of the world. My sister actually went to Portugal, and everyone assumed she was Portuguese because of her first and last name.

How touristy is Rio, because in all honesty, I don't like to be around tourists unless I am on vacation. Here in Chicago, I literally get irritated by all the tourists getting in my way here as I walk to get lunch or something in downtown.

All I will say is that I work for a consulting company. They are looking to expand in China and South America. They brought me on board to eventually use me as an integral key player in developing business in South America. So more or less it will become my division one day, I hope so.
Rio is a VERY touristy city. It is not built just on tourism, but it is a big element. Americans and Europeans are common in Rio so you wont be anything special. Some people in Rio will try to become your friend to take advantage of you.

When I lived in Porto Alegre, which has over 1.5 million people, foreigners outside of SA were rare. I would easily become an instant hit wherever I went. People were genuinely excited to meet an American.

For sure Sao Paulo has many foreigners, but they spread out all over that huge city, while in Rio everyone pretty much goes to south Rio. For business purposes SP is better than Rio and more fast paced.

I havent been to Floripa but I imagine it is slow paced and while touristy the tourist are Brazilian.

Hey, get me a job at your place. Getting to travel anywhere you want in SA sounds awesome.

Also in Brasil you will be a gringo. A gringo is a foreigner, especially one not from Brasil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
One of my friends lives in SP. She says traffic jams are getting worse, the city is just too crowded and big, and still spreading like cancer.

If I went to Brazil for business reasons, I might try Sorocaba, lots of companies there and not far from SP in case I needed to go there.
Campinas is a bit further inland, but a huge booming metro area, also with lots of companies being present.
Traffic is terrible in SP.

Quote:
This also brings up a good question I forgot to ask. How easy is it to live without a car in Rio de Janiero and São Paulo? I am sure Florianopolis is much tougher.

Also is one city significantly cheaper than the other?

Thanks for all the advice eveyone I really appreciate it!
Brasil has a very good bus system. You can pretty much get anywhere if you dont mind taking a bus. SP has a rail system, and I believe Rio too but they are both limited in area.

Im not sure I would ever get a car in Brasil. They are insanely expensive and people drive like maniacs. Maybe in SP and Rio traffic is so congested you wont see it, but Brasilian drivers are very aggressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I didn't have a car in SP or RIO...I completely relied on buses and subways, and they were fine. Of course it's easier with a car, but no burden without one. Trains and buses go by far frequently enough somewhat similar to a northeastern city. Not like NYC with amazing transportation, but guessing maybe like Chicago, although I've never taken the trains in Chicago to really know for sure.

Significantly cheaper. Hmm...both Rio and SP are expensive. There is more money in SP which offsets that a bit. Probably any other city outside of those two will be quite a bit cheaper.

I was also thinking that if I were to go back, I'd try Belo Horizonte only because almost no tourists, all locals, and very business-minded like Sao Paulo, but much cheaper and a bit smaller. But at that time, I wasn't as crazy about beaches as I am now, so not so sure I'd do that now
I recommend Curtiba or Porto Alegre.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:39 AM

25,956 posts, read 24,684,054 times
A nice photo of Campinas, seems almost as if they just finished building all those high-rises, they look very orderly and new

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...stadio171b.jpg

Unlike with US cities, most high-rises in Brazil are residential, not offices. Thus the population density for Brazilian cities is quite high. And living in such a tower is not considered in any way negative like in the US.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:17 AM

994 posts, read 1,826,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
A nice photo of Campinas, seems almost as if they just finished building all those high-rises, they look very orderly and new

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...stadio171b.jpg

Unlike with US cities, most high-rises in Brazil are residential, not offices. Thus the population density for Brazilian cities is quite high. And living in such a tower is not considered in any way negative like in the US.
I appreciate the recommendation for Campinas, but really I like to be in the center city and specifically international cities. Only reason I put Florianopolis in there is because it offers the alternative outdoor lifestyle that I would really enjoy, even though it is a much smaller and domestic city.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:16 PM

230 posts, read 903,649 times
Live in Rio, you don't need a car here unless you live in Barra. Rio is touristy but only really touristy in a few parts. Brazil doesnt actually attract that many tourists compared to Argentina for example. You will be considered a gringo here because anyone who is not from Brazil is a gringo but that is not a big deal. SP you can get around without a car but are maybe more limited. Because of the oil industry boom Rio is almost as wealthy as SP now in regards to per capita GDP. That is not to say that it is as serious as SP but there is a ton of $$ around this city. I actually prefer SP but it is easier for me to make a living here in Rio than it would be in SP. I have been to Floripa three times. It is nice but it is not a big city. You would need a car there or at least a motorcycle. Sorry if this is disjointed, typing fast to go out in LAPA. LAPA, RJ - Lá Na Lapa - O portal da Lapa e do Centro do Rio de Janeiro

Old 07-28-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Rio is a VERY touristy city. It is not built just on tourism, but it is a big element. Americans and Europeans are common in Rio so you wont be anything special. Some people in Rio will try to become your friend to take advantage of you.

When I lived in Porto Alegre, which has over 1.5 million people, foreigners outside of SA were rare. I would easily become an instant hit wherever I went. People were genuinely excited to meet an American.

For sure Sao Paulo has many foreigners, but they spread out all over that huge city, while in Rio everyone pretty much goes to south Rio. For business purposes SP is better than Rio and more fast paced.

I havent been to Floripa but I imagine it is slow paced and while touristy the tourist are Brazilian.

Hey, get me a job at your place. Getting to travel anywhere you want in SA sounds awesome.

Also in Brasil you will be a gringo. A gringo is a foreigner, especially one not from Brasil.

Traffic is terrible in SP.

Brasil has a very good bus system. You can pretty much get anywhere if you dont mind taking a bus. SP has a rail system, and I believe Rio too but they are both limited in area.

Im not sure I would ever get a car in Brasil. They are insanely expensive and people drive like maniacs. Maybe in SP and Rio traffic is so congested you wont see it, but Brasilian drivers are very aggressive.

I recommend Curtiba or Porto Alegre.
Thanks for the advice I will definitely take into consideration everything you have said!

Old 07-28-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I didn't have a car in SP or RIO...I completely relied on buses and subways, and they were fine. Of course it's easier with a car, but no burden without one. Trains and buses go by far frequently enough somewhat similar to a northeastern city. Not like NYC with amazing transportation, but guessing maybe like Chicago, although I've never taken the trains in Chicago to really know for sure.

Significantly cheaper. Hmm...both Rio and SP are expensive. There is more money in SP which offsets that a bit. Probably any other city outside of those two will be quite a bit cheaper.

I was also thinking that if I were to go back, I'd try Belo Horizonte only because almost no tourists, all locals, and very business-minded like Sao Paulo, but much cheaper and a bit smaller. But at that time, I wasn't as crazy about beaches as I am now, so not so sure I'd do that now
Thanks for all the insight and advice. This has really helped me a lot!

Old 11-13-2014, 08:49 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,086,628 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the insight and advice. This has really helped me a lot!
I'm curious if you ever made it to Brazil! Would love to have an update!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas