U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sao Paulo vs Toronto
Sao Paulo 8 47.06%
Toronto 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 10:34 PM

54 posts, read 101,474 times

Advertisements

Out of the two cities, which has the better restaurants, museums, landmarks, architecture, scenery, universities, nightlife, public transportation, arts, better for the youth, parks, etc? Which city would you rather live in, and why?
-urbanity
-streetscape
-liveliness
-arts
-things to do
-transportation network
-aesthetics
-quality of downtown at street level
-public realm
-quality of life
-quality of parks, recreational facilities, bike paths, etc.

And any other things you can think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 01:23 AM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 17 days ago)

5,201 posts, read 8,032,452 times
What type of comparison is this?

Of course Sao Paulo beats Toronto!

Toronto is a small village compared to Sao Paulo, the two can't really be compared, IMO.

But, since you asked:

-urbanity: Sao Paulo is much more urban.

-streetscape: Toronto is less gritty.

-liveliness: Sao Paulo

-arts: Sao Paulo

-things to do: Sao Paulo

-transportation network: Sao Paulo

-aesthetics: When Sao Paulo is nice, its really nice!

-quality of downtown at street level: Not really comparable since Sao Paulo is a multi-center city, doesn't really have a downtown, but rather several downtowns, if you will. I still give Sao Paulo the head in this.

-public realm: Toronto is better kept.

-quality of life: Sao Paulo

-quality of parks, recreational facilities, bike paths, etc.: Sao Paulo

Here, take a look:

TORONTO: Google Maps

SAO PAULO: São Paulo - Estado de São Paulo, Brasil - Google Maps

Old 07-29-2011, 01:59 AM

235 posts, read 797,591 times
Most cities in the world are 'like a village' compared to Sao Paulo. Toronto isn't a small city (the Canada census coming out at the end of 2011 should have the horseshoe area around Toronto (22 to 30 thousand sq km's) around or over 10 million people). Brazil is known for its ethnic diversity and Toronto is one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the world. Both are great cities but Toronto gets the edge for its restaurants, diversity, potential to expand (spread out), top universities, film industry (Total Recall is being produced there in 2011, Bollywood has shown interest in Toronto, Toronto International Film Festival) and economy (TSX is 40% bigger than BM&F Bovespa). Comparing national economies, Brazil's nominal gdp is 33.4% larger than Canada's however Canada's exports are 103.3% larger. Brazil produces 76% more vehicles than Canada (though as recently as 2005 Canada produced more) but Canada has the world's second largest oil reserves (13X more than Brazil though Canada production currently is only 27.9% more).

Considering ethic diversity, Toronto's smaller population should help its case since the area's Chinese, East Indian, Jewish, Greek and French communities might be much larger than Sao Paulo's. The Italian and German communities are strong too but probably not as big as in some of Brazil's cities.

Toronto has great transportation networks but with one of the busiest highways in the world going through the city, there's lots of traffic. There are lots of things to do (mlb, nba, nhl, cfl, zoo, Canada's Wonderland, Royal Ontario Museum, shopping) but they aren't very affordable, that's where Sao Paulo would do better. Crime isn't as bad in Toronto (70% of homicides go unsolved in Brazil double that of the USA). For travelling New York City, Chicago, Montreal and Niagara Falls are easy to get to by highway or trains.

Last edited by grmike; 07-29-2011 at 02:54 AM..

Old 07-29-2011, 03:17 AM

23,762 posts, read 65,875,089 times
Toronto has hockey.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:42 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,156,163 times
Culturally I feel so much closer to Toronto (I'm a French speaking Canadian), although I like tropical climates, I would NEVER chose Sao Paulo over Toronto ! (but over Calgary or "Winterpeg" in an heartbeat, although I'm not enthusiastic about Sao Paulo, giant metropolitan areas or Brazil)

Old 07-29-2011, 03:35 PM

1,367 posts, read 1,755,206 times
this comparison made me lol...

Sao Paulo > Toronto

Old 07-29-2011, 03:50 PM

999 posts, read 1,471,081 times
For me definitely São Paulo.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:35 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Toronto is a very impressive city with it's ethnic diversity and international ethnic atmosphere.

However, I was actually surprised how small the city felt driving around it in the car. Sao Paulo, on the other, just spreads out forever with skyscrapers absolutely everywhere.

Biggest downside I see to Toronto is the weather. I grew up nearby in Michigan...and the majority of the year, you just feel stuck inside the house - unless you love snow. But, things are fairly flat. So, it's not like you have slopes all about that others might generally associate with snow.

I could see arguments for both....either Toronto and Sao Paulo.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:47 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
-quality of life: Sao Paulo
Interesting you would pick Sao Paulo over Toronto for quality of life. Sao Paolo is undoubtedly more exciting than Toronto, but quality of life is generally related to places that get the everyday, boring stuff right. For example, crime, traffic, pollution. On these fronts, when you consider that the very rich in Sao Paulo have resorted to helicopters to avoid the traffic chaos, carjackings and other unpleasantness on the ground, "less exciting" Toronto probably offers a better quality of life.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:18 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 1,018,248 times
I have been to Toronto several times, but never to Sao Paulo. Sao Paulo looks way too third world for my preference and the culture doesn't seem too interesting. I have a friend who is moving to Sao Paulo on this site from Boston, looking forward to hearing about his experiences once he is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas