U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 11:09 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,543,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown17 View Post
I think he may mean that since the population is so small, the murders give a higher percentage. Like if 2 people lived in a country and one killed the other, 50% of the population would be murdered. That sounds high but it's only based on a population of 2 people. Hope that makes sense.
A better example would be a country like Nauru. It has about 10,000 people and is variously a country with one of the lowest murder rates (no murders) or one with one of the highest (a few years ago there was an incident where a guy killed three people or so and the country was up there with Jamaica, South Africa, and Colombia in murder rate).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 8,317 times
Default i dnt believe jamaica is the worst in the world

i am from jamaica....an i feel very safe i can walk on the road with out being shot or bombed it is not like conditions in middle east yet we are considered the worse because of how u apparantly do these test...how ever i am very upset with thoughs remarks yes we have the probs...but u must find probs if we are living in the third world so if you big shot ameriacans an europeans really want to help this deadliest country why dnt u give us some resourses to better or selfs??????

Old 09-24-2008, 12:39 AM

38,744 posts, read 37,204,368 times
Montserrat and Dominica also have the 1st and 3rd largest per-capita police forces in the world.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 7,793 times
It also depends which islands you go to in the Caribbean and where you go. Jamaica has a high crime rate but it is concentrated in a particular area, and it is not the area where tourist go. Jamaica has a higher crime rate per capita but mexico has like 50 times the amount of people but its crime rate is not much lower. Also islands like Barbados and St. Lucia have a lower crime rate than the U.S. and Mexico

Old 10-17-2010, 05:28 AM

29 posts, read 74,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Please explain how a small population makes the murder rate of an area "artificially high". Wyoming has a small population, but that doesn't give it a high murder rate.
Smaller places are more likely to have extreme murder rates - whether high or low. There's less chance of rates being a mixture across said area than you'd get with somewhere larger.

The Caribbean may have a higher murder rate than South America yet it's lower than Colombia or Venezuela which are comparably populous. The murder rate for Central America is lower than Colombia or Venezuela as well - sure there's countries within Central America with higher rates but it is interesting it (Central America) can't keep that murder rate up against comparable populations.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:32 PM

310 posts, read 561,273 times
I remember back in the early 1980's my grandpa had to stopped at the international airport of Kingston, jamaica and he was highly recommended by somepeople in the Embassy to be very carefull with the luggage when waiting to board another flight becasue it could be stolen easily.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:16 PM

12,673 posts, read 18,861,966 times
Probably partly because the cost of living is SKY HIGH...and the salaries are incredibly LOW.

Plus, most of these people are stuck on their island...difficult to even get travel visas to visit another country, let alone work in another one. So, they are stuck with the low salaries and high cost of living.

I would imagine day in and day out seeing the world's wealthiest and most elite tossing around an enormous amount of money all day everyday, probably would make a person think, if I can lift that ipod, it would cost that guy 3 hours of work to replace, whereas for me, it would take forever to buy myself.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:22 PM

30 posts, read 34,527 times
I don't know where the op got that info but after searching on the subject i believe the Caribbean have high crime rate but definitely not the highest in the world.
List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Caribbean Murder Rates - Murder in the Caribbean
[AlterPresse :: Haiti] Murder in the Caribbean - how does Haiti compare?

AS DOMINICAN I can tell that in DR the majority of those murders are committed by the very police department.when there are troublemakers with several files the police intentionally kills them and make up a story about how they were confronted by the heavily armed criminals...That practice is been going on for decades and is how they decrease crime.

Also the country serves as drug distribution hub between South America and US/Europe hence a lot of crime related to it .

Old 06-02-2011, 10:08 PM

4,810 posts, read 4,886,413 times
I always found the Caribbean so overrated to visit. But there are other reasons too other than just this.
The only exceptions are the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico around Cancun, and Saint Lucia which are two nice places to visit.
But the rest of the Caribbean? So overrated in my opinion.

These are the best tropical getaway places in the world: Hawaii, Thailand, Taiwan, Southern China(such as where Hong Kong is), Singapore, Vietnam, and Costa Rica for tropical getaways all the way! Pretty much all of these places also have some of the lowest crime rates in the world, and are also more interesting and exciting to visit. They also have much better food than what can be found in the Caribbean, and have actual great big cities in the tropical zones.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 06-02-2011 at 10:23 PM..

Old 06-03-2011, 02:27 AM

11,180 posts, read 9,608,770 times
I think a good deal of it has to do with the lack of opportunities available on the island due to entrenched political corruption which leads the way to a lot of dealings as a middleman for the drug trade (as one of the few profitable games in town) which then results in all this violence. I do love the Caribbean--some beautiful architecture in lots of places, friendly people, beautiful settings, strange patchwork of peoples and history, really great music, and some really interesting food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas