U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 03:30 PM

5,695 posts, read 8,601,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
You couldn't pay me to go back to Brazil.
why do you say that? I am heading to Brazil day after. First thing I noticed is that the VISA is ridiculously difficult for Americans, WTF? Then I was looking to find an Indian restaurant in Rio (I love Indian food and have not been able to find anything decent in this whole damn continent! ) but then I looked at the menu online and a single entreé is like US$55 (85 Reas) WTF?? is this for real??? Surely, this must be a April fools joke! That's double of what I pay in London on Oxford St (the most expensive street in London) and London is known as being ridiculously expensive...

Menu at Rajmahal restaurant in central Rio, better bring LOTS of money with you...
http://www.raajmahal.com.br/cardapio.php

People had warned me about costs in Brazil but I had no idea!

Old 08-16-2011, 03:48 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,180,080 times
To my knowledge, whatever visa requirements exist between any given countries are usually reciprocal, which is only logical in my opinion.

I am not sure about Indian food (since I am not a big fan of it myself), but I take it that it is not easy for one to find South American (Brazilian included) restaurants - in India?
The cuisines are very different and the immigration numbers between India/South America are minimal, so there is not enough clientele, and, due to this small demand, ingredients are expensive. Those are some of the reasons why prices are high.

Also, almost every restaurant in the world has a menu right outside the door (or online). If I can afford it, I walk in. Otherwise, I go elsewhere.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:03 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,394,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Sorry but no. The violence down there is ridiculous. I was robbed more times than I can count and I lived in a safer part of town.
Ive lived in Brasil and NEVER had a problem. Went to bad areas too.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 08-16-2011 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: no need for insults

Old 08-16-2011, 06:04 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,394,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Some news that came out in the Brazilian press:

The number of working permit visas to foreigners coming to Brazil increased almost 20 percent in the first half of 2011, compared with the first half of 2010.

In Portuguese:

Emissão de visto de trabalho para estrangeiros cresce 20% este ano

O número de vistos de trabalho para estrangeiros aumentou 19,4% no primeiro semestre deste ano em comparação com o primeiro semestre do ano passado, segundo dados do Ministério do Trabalho. Foram concedidas 26.545 autorizações este ano, contra 22.188 em 2010.

Read the rest:

Emissão de visto de trabalho para estrangeiros cresce 20% este ano | Últimas notícias | Diario de Pernambuco - O mais antigo jornal em circulação na América Latina

Google Translate:

Google Translate
It is hard for an American to get a good job in Brasil without lots of experience.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:17 AM

12,703 posts, read 14,081,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
It is hard for an American to get a good job in Brasil without lots of experience.
My cousin moved to Brazil many years ago, started his own business and made a bundle before he died recently. He lived in Rio, and while he felt if was certainly a crime-ridden city, and like you, he was never a crime victim in all the years he lived there.

He had nothing but good things to say about Brazilians, and felt his move was the greatest thing he had done in his life.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:06 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,509,915 times
Hopefully this bodes well for me since I work in finance and I'm going to be moving to Brasil in...52 days! Wow, that's coming fast!

Old 08-17-2011, 02:20 PM

321 posts, read 839,220 times
Clearly the "BRICS" group of countries (recently changed from "BRIC") is the place to be for people hungry for financial success. But is that what creates happiness?

Old 08-17-2011, 07:51 PM

448 posts, read 1,347,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
why do you say that? I am heading to Brazil day after. First thing I noticed is that the VISA is ridiculously difficult for Americans, WTF? Then I was looking to find an Indian restaurant in Rio (I love Indian food and have not been able to find anything decent in this whole damn continent! ) but then I looked at the menu online and a single entreé is like US$55 (85 Reas) WTF?? is this for real??? Surely, this must be a April fools joke! That's double of what I pay in London on Oxford St (the most expensive street in London) and London is known as being ridiculously expensive...

Menu at Rajmahal restaurant in central Rio, better bring LOTS of money with you...
::: RAAJMAHAL | A Cozinha Indiana do Rio :::

People had warned me about costs in Brazil but I had no idea!
Visa requirements are like that just to spite americans because American visa requirements are ridiculous too, but that's another discussion. I use my "other" passport when I travel there and never need a visa. .

Expensive - yes. Everything in Brazil now is very expensive. The exchange rate is unfavorable to the dollar, and things have been getting more expensive there. I started going in 1999 when the exchange rate was 4 to 1 and a decent meal cost R$20. Now, it's closer to R$40 with exchange rate around 1.5 to 1.

Would I go live there? Definately, but only as an expat for now or only if I could match my current salary + some %, which would never happen, because locals there in my field don't get paid that much.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:10 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,509,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac2 View Post
Clearly the "BRICS" group of countries (recently changed from "BRIC") is the place to be for people hungry for financial success. But is that what creates happiness?
Yes. Money = happiness

Old 08-18-2011, 03:03 AM

12,703 posts, read 14,081,338 times
I have never met a Brazilian of any social class who wasn't good-natured and cheerful; but Americans seem like the most unsatisfied and whiney people on the planet.

So, if the Brazilians need money to be happier, I hope they find a different happiness with it than we have.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 08-18-2011 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: orphaned material removed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or