U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-18-2011, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,795,852 times
Reputation: 4060

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
In my view US influence is bad influence, no matter where.
Yeah, companies like Boeing, Microsoft, Google and Apple have been a horrible influence on the world.

 
Old 08-18-2011, 12:56 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,360 posts, read 19,293,025 times
Reputation: 8475
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Yeah, companies like Boeing, Microsoft, Google and Apple have been a horrible influence on the world.
Indeed, and they are not even the worst examples.
 
Old 08-18-2011, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,795,852 times
Reputation: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Indeed, and they are not even the worst examples.
Then there simply is no rationalizing with you. You've closed your mind completely.
 
Old 08-18-2011, 01:30 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,360 posts, read 19,293,025 times
Reputation: 8475
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Then there simply is no rationalizing with you. You've closed your mind completely.
Why? Just because I don't like those companies? I am against any big corporations. They all have monopolistic aspirations and too much influence...
 
Old 08-18-2011, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,795,852 times
Reputation: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I am against any big corporations. They all have monopolistic aspirations and too much influence...
All big corporations started out as small companies. I suppose every big corporation wants to be the sole survivor in its industry, but that's why countries have antitrust regulation.
 
Old 08-18-2011, 01:42 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,360 posts, read 19,293,025 times
Reputation: 8475
Well, I simply find Brazil to be rather un-American in a positive way and I want it to stay that way.
 
Old 08-18-2011, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,795,852 times
Reputation: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, I simply find Brazil to be rather un-American in a positive way and I want it to stay that way.
Allowing foreign investment doesn't have to threaten the identity of Brazil. There's plenty of foreign investment in the United States. Has that made us any less American?
 
Old 08-18-2011, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Denver
6,628 posts, read 12,501,257 times
Reputation: 4054
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Allowing foreign investment doesn't have to threaten the identity of Brazil. There's plenty of foreign investment in the United States. Has that made us any less American?
Exactly. In order to grow, foreign investment is required. To suggest that those moving to Brasil are "parasitic" is both unfair and untrue. I'm moving there because my girlfriend needs to finish college. I work in financial services, so obviously I'd like to get a job in that industry. How is that parasitic?

Even those in a (much) more powerful position than me aren't necessarily parasitic. They're investing in Brasil because there is opportunity...investing in companies which provide infrastructure improvements for the country is a good thing, wouldn't you agree?

Of course there are bad people, and I'm sure a few of them are moving down to Brasil (and there are many bad people in Brasil already who are natives)...but to suggest that the only people that move down there are leaches is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why? Just because I don't like those companies? I am against any big corporations. They all have monopolistic aspirations and too much influence...
Oh, you're a "corporations are evil" guy. Nevermind.
 
Old 08-18-2011, 08:07 PM
 
230 posts, read 782,450 times
Reputation: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why? Just because I don't like those companies? I am against any big corporations. They all have monopolistic aspirations and too much influence...
Well then you must really be against traditional Brazilian development. Brazil is a country that has historically followed a pattern of favoring large corporations who are cozy with the government. If you have not heard of companies like Odebrecht, Brasil Foods S.A., Ambev, just to name a few, maybe you need to educate yourself on what Brazil is really about.
 
Old 08-19-2011, 03:37 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,360 posts, read 19,293,025 times
Reputation: 8475
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
Well then you must really be against traditional Brazilian development. Brazil is a country that has historically followed a pattern of favoring large corporations who are cozy with the government. If you have not heard of companies like Odebrecht, Brasil Foods S.A., Ambev, just to name a few, maybe you need to educate yourself on what Brazil is really about.
Well, at least they are Brazilian corporations and if they want government involvement or proximity, it is their business, I find nothing wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top