U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2011, 10:26 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times

Advertisements

I've spent time in both Peru and Dominican Republic.

PERU is WAY MORE DANGEROUS than Dominican Republic. They really look for foreigners to rob from...it's just something they do there.

DR isn't Japan safe by any means, but of all the Carribbean countries, it seems to have the least crime. It was one of the reasons I visited DR, and sure enough, it felt way safer than Peru comparitively.

Not saying the DR is 'safe', but comparitively, it is much safer than Peru anyways. (No idea where Puerto Rico falls into that).
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 11 days ago)

5,167 posts, read 8,017,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk_Fuji View Post
PR is a US territory so evrything is set to a US standard.
I would say that most things in PR are set to US standards, but certainly not everything.

For example, gasoline is sold in liters while in the US is by the gallon, distances in PR are measured by kilometers while speed limits are set in miles, in the US everything is measured in miles; outside of San Juan people really need to speak Spanish to get around and truly immerse themselves in Puerto Rican culture while in the US this is really not the case.

These are minor stuff, but they are still different from US standards.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Not saying the DR is 'safe', but comparitively, it is much safer than Peru anyways. (No idea where Puerto Rico falls into that).
PR probably resembles the DR in this, certainly compared to Peru.

Both PR and DR share the cultural habit of exaggerating. It hardly ever is done intentionally, but they do exaggerate about almost everything, crime included. This tendency to exaggerate has lead to some crazy things, like people living in the 10th floor of an apartment building, putting bars on their windows and balconies!

Doing that in the first couple of floors is understandable anywhere in the world, but only in those two countries have I seen people in very high floors putting bars on their windows as if they were on the first floor.

Now, it could just be that they are afraid of heights and the bars on the windows and balconies give them a sense of security in that sense, but in all likelihood its probably the tendency of exaggerating that has led them to make such irrational decision.

Some cultures are just like that, exaggerating is in the blood. LOL!

Old 09-11-2011, 03:28 PM

294 posts, read 609,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaPholosophie View Post
I am planning to study abroad a semester to learn Spanish and have narrowed it down to 3 countries:

PR or DR
PROS:
1. the majority of the spanish-speakers in my state (NYC) come from these two countries
2. the spanish spoken here is very different from standard spanish, so i will become more accustomed to it.
3. closer to home, so wont feel so alone
4. its cheaper to fly there
5. interested in culture
CONS:
1. not really a study abroad experience since has the same laws as the US (PR)

Peru
PROS:
1. Im interested in indigenious cultures, which Peru offers (Cusco)
2. Spanish is very similar to standard, so will be easy to understand
3. more of a study abroad experience
CONS:
1. not the spanish spoken in the state i plan to work
2. more expensive to fly to
3. farther from home, so I will get more homesick

So which country should I choose?
If between PR and Dom Rep, which would be better?

Thanks in advance
I'd say that if you want to learn a language, then do it the proper way. At this point, I'm sure that you are very much aware of the differences and adventages (or the lack thereof) of learning Spanish between any of the above mentioned countries. Peru should be your best choice. As far as crime and everything else is concerned, neither country is better than the other.

With that said, you want to be able to learn Spanish not only at the colloquial, but also at the business level. And in Peru you'll be able to tackle all issues related to lexicon, phonetics, and grammar and punctuation. Just my two cents!

Old 09-14-2011, 07:45 PM

199 posts, read 598,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
PERU is WAY MORE DANGEROUS than Dominican Republic. They really look for foreigners to rob from...it's just something they do there.
Dominican Republic Murder Rate:22 per 100,000

Peru Murder Rate:3.2 per 100,000

Puerto Rico Murder Rate:22.61 per 100,000

See the difference? D.R. is a huge gateway for illegal drugs into the United States. I believe I read somewhere that 8% of all cocaine in America came through The Dominican Republic. Puerto Rico has a similar situation.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-14-2011, 08:40 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,210,305 times
OK, I didn't see PR on that list, and as the article states in the beginning there are big differences in the way crime is reported (for example on another issue I found that England changed to a method of gathering crime stats a few years ago that greatly reduces the apparent crime rates). Some countries probably don't spend lots of money or time on record-keeping.

But assuming the list is reasonably accurate, Peru would come out ahead on 3 counts (low crime, standard Spanish, and exotic culture far different from the OPs experience), while PR and DR come out ahead on 2 counts each (Spanish dialects that are more relevant to the OP's AO, and cheaper to fly there and come back for vacations).

Now I'd like to confuse the issue with further options: according to a Uruguayan guy I knew, Cuba is known through Central and South America for having the best, clearest, most standard version of Spanish. So that might count for something, in addition to getting free health care and killer cigars.

Also Ecuador is cheapest of all to live in (yet still good quality food and housing), uses the US dollar for currency, and also has many residential Spanish language schools. However according to the list Ecuador has a much higher intentional homicide rate than Peru. That actually makes me a bit suspicious about the Peruvian stats, since they lie next to each other, and I think may have similar cultures and ethnic groups?

Old 09-15-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatitdo? View Post
Dominican Republic Murder Rate:22 per 100,000

Peru Murder Rate:3.2 per 100,000

Puerto Rico Murder Rate:22.61 per 100,000

See the difference? D.R. is a huge gateway for illegal drugs into the United States. I believe I read somewhere that 8% of all cocaine in America came through The Dominican Republic. Puerto Rico has a similar situation.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It would be wiser to judge murder/crime rates on a city by city basis, since people (certainly the OP) would be living in a city and what is a national average may or may not have an impact.

I'm sure the US has a low murder/crime rate, but don't tell that to people in Oakland, California or in any gang infested neighborhood/town/city! National averages means little to people living in the worst ghettos of Miami or Los Angeles as well as in postcard perfect Main Street USAville, for example.

So let's see the crime/murder statistics for Lima, Santo Domingo and San Juan; since in one of those places the OP will be spending most of her time and that's what she will be subjected to.

Here's a hint, Lima is much different from the rest of Peru, not just when it comes to crime but in other cultural and economic aspects as well.

As for the drugs, all three are affected. Peru already produces more Cocaine than Colombia does! If I'm not mistaken, most of the Cocaine sold in the US is now produced in Peru.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:49 PM

199 posts, read 598,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
OK, I didn't see PR on that list, and as the article states in the beginning there are big differences in the way crime is reported (for example on another issue I found that England changed to a method of gathering crime stats a few years ago that greatly reduces the apparent crime rates). Some countries probably don't spend lots of money or time on record-keeping.
Puerto Rico is there,just go to the bottom,where it says "Country Subdivisions". In that section there is a bar that says United States,click "show". Then you'll see murder rates for each of the 50 states,D.C.,and the territories of the U.S.
As you can see,Puerto Rico is second highest in murder,after D.C.

Either way,you can probably assume that P.R. and D.R. are more dangerous than Peru. There are probably differences in the way crime is reported,but you can probably assume that even with a large margin of error,P.R. and D.R. would still be more dangerous. It makes sense,too. Think about it,The Drug Wars are only getting worse. Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic are popular gateways for illegal drugs into the U.S. from Colombia. With organized crime syndicates & drugs,comes crime.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatitdo? View Post
Either way,you can probably assume that P.R. and D.R. are more dangerous than Peru. There are probably differences in the way crime is reported,but you can probably assume that even with a large margin of error,P.R. and D.R. would still be more dangerous. It makes sense,too. Think about it,The Drug Wars are only getting worse. Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic are popular gateways for illegal drugs into the U.S. from Colombia. With organized crime syndicates & drugs,comes crime.
But Peru is a big country.

Heck, even Lima is a huge city and very different from one end to the other in almost every measurable way possible.

So how is the crime in Lima? That's where the OP will most likely be spending most of her time anyway, if she chooses Peru.

Does a low national murder rate means much if she's going to live in a high crime city?

I would think no...

Peru is also a very poor country, yet many areas in Lima are so prosperous, it feels as if you're in a developed country. One more sign of how national averages means little at a local level. And people live locally, not nationally.

So, let's see the crime stats on a city by city basis...

Puerto Rico and the DR have many safe areas too.

City by city, where are the stats???

Old 09-15-2011, 02:23 PM

The silence is deafening.

I'm going to assume Whatitdo? is searching for the city-by-city stats.

In the mean time, look what the mayor of Lima had to say about crime in the capital of Peru, where the OP will most likely be living if she chooses Peru as her destination:

Villa: "Lima is very unsafe"

A few other realities:

43% of Lima's residents were victims of theft in 2010

Lima: Every day they kill a person

Oh oh, what happened to that low national average crime/murder rate????

I'm sure those national stats come in handy for the average Lima resident, even those living there for a short term.

Another interesting link:

In terms of personal safety... Elsewhere in the region, Santo Domingo has the highest ranking at 92 followed by Panama City (96) and Monterrey (99). Bogota (207) in Colombia has the lowest levels of personal safety.

In Central and South America, San Juan in Puerto Rico retains the highest ranking at 72, followed by Montevideo at 76. Port au Prince in Haiti ranks lowest in the region at 202 (this was for overall quality of life.)

Last edited by AntonioR; 09-15-2011 at 02:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or