U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 02:34 PM

199 posts, read 598,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
But Peru is a big country.

Heck, even Lima is a huge city and very different from one end to the other in almost every measurable way possible.

So how is the crime in Lima? That's where the OP will most likely be spending most of her time anyway, if she chooses Peru.

Does a low national murder rate means much if she's going to live in a high crime city?

I would think no...

Peru is also a very poor country, yet many areas in Lima are so prosperous, it feels as if you're in a developed country. One more sign of how national averages means little at a local level. And people live locally, not nationally.

So, let's see the crime stats on a city by city basis...

Puerto Rico and the DR have many safe areas too.

City by city, where are the stats???
I agree,these places are very large and vary by area. It's a little hard to find crime stats for these areas though.

I don't know if you read Spanish,but here. It says how there were 115 more murders in P.R. this year than last year. The article is from 3 days ago and says 800 murders so far,compared to 685 at the same time last year. Puerto Rico isn't very big and it's quite hard to not notice the blight and crime. Trust me,i'm from there.

Llegan a 800 los asesinatos en Puerto Rico - WAPA.tv - Noticias - Videos)

This one is about the Dominican Republic from March. 20 murders in 10 days,in Santo Domingo.

Cadena de 20 muertes en en diez días más recientes - Listín Diario Digital
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 05:24 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,220,247 times
Why don't we just put the OP over in Spain instead? It's safer. Most spanish speakers can understand Spain spanish sporadically. Then she'd get to travel all around Europe by train, sleeping in hostels and boinking elegant young European men.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:23 AM

452 posts, read 769,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
PR probably resembles the DR in this, certainly compared to Peru.

Both PR and DR share the cultural habit of exaggerating. It hardly ever is done intentionally, but they do exaggerate about almost everything, crime included. This tendency to exaggerate has lead to some crazy things, like people living in the 10th floor of an apartment building, putting bars on their windows and balconies!

Doing that in the first couple of floors is understandable anywhere in the world, but only in those two countries have I seen people in very high floors putting bars on their windows as if they were on the first floor.

Now, it could just be that they are afraid of heights and the bars on the windows and balconies give them a sense of security in that sense, but in all likelihood its probably the tendency of exaggerating that has led them to make such irrational decision.

Some cultures are just like that, exaggerating is in the blood. LOL!
The bars in the windows are for children's safety, so they would not fall 10 floors below!!!!

Old 09-16-2011, 06:25 AM

452 posts, read 769,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Guitar View Post
I'd say that if you want to learn a language, then do it the proper way. At this point, I'm sure that you are very much aware of the differences and adventages (or the lack thereof) of learning Spanish between any of the above mentioned countries. Peru should be your best choice. As far as crime and everything else is concerned, neither country is better than the other.

With that said, you want to be able to learn Spanish not only at the colloquial, but also at the business level. And in Peru you'll be able to tackle all issues related to lexicon, phonetics, and grammar and punctuation. Just my two cents!
I think the O/P needs to know there is a civil war in Peru, at this time.......

Old 09-16-2011, 03:56 PM

2,930 posts, read 6,200,406 times
I would choose Puerto Rico. DR is boring and Peru might be a little expensive.

I would never recommend anyone to learn Spanish in Spain. Not only it would be more expensive but you really don't want to speak Spanish with a lisp.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:51 AM

492 posts, read 1,018,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
Who is fighting, the crypts and the bloods?
The only thing I have been reading is that the unemployment rate in Lima is less than 7% Second, that the poverty level for the entire country has gone down to 30% (close to the same level as some cities in the US.) It used to be nearly half about 5 years ago. The Peruvian economy has been expanding at about 7 to 9% for many years now. In contrast to many European economies where theirs has been shrinking.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:53 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,220,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
.....I would never recommend anyone to learn Spanish in Spain. Not only it would be more expensive but you really don't want to speak Spanish with a lisp.
I don't think the "lisp" is seen as effeminate by non-Castilians, is it? I don't know, I'm certainly not an expert on Spanish cultures or language! But the Colombian woman who taught my first classes so many years ago, gave me the impression it seemed a bit snooty or upper class to people who spoke a different type, in the same way that Americans hear the Queen's English.

Concerning the cost of living ...... the price of air travel to Spain is no doubt less than to Peru, since so many more people go there. Apartment rentals and food are probably higher in Spain, but the OP should be able to get a boyfriend fairly quickly in Spain, and if she plays her cards right with a cold cold heart, it could be one who helps her considerably with those costs. If all else fails, she could even get an older sugar daddy.

(sorry for getting a bit trollish on this thread, but now that the OP seems to have deserted us, I just wanna have fun! ).

Old 09-17-2011, 02:00 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,175,100 times
Quote:
The bars in the windows are for children's safety, so they would not fall 10 floors below!!!!
Yeah, and see those even in super safe asian cities like Hong Kong, Macau, etc. I mean, high high up in the buildings.

You can also hang plants and dry clothes in them

Old 09-18-2011, 10:07 AM

5,515 posts, read 17,685,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I would choose Puerto Rico. DR is boring and Peru might be a little expensive.

I would never recommend anyone to learn Spanish in Spain. Not only it would be more expensive but you really don't want to speak Spanish with a lisp.
I think you meant to say PR is boring.

I couldn't get enough of the DR.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:13 PM

294 posts, read 609,910 times
Quote:
I think the OP may know that there is a civil war from Mexico all the way to Tierra del Fuego. So...this is a moot point if you ask me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or