U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 10:21 PM

294 posts, read 610,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I would never recommend anyone to learn Spanish in Spain. Not only it would be more expensive but you really don't want to speak Spanish with a lisp.
I would not recommend anyone to learn Spanish in Puerto Rico since she/he may speak with a pseudo frenulum to pronounce the R in every word; thinking that it is proper phonetic. Or worst case scenario, believing that the R should sound like L.....

Pretty hilarious though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 10:37 PM

294 posts, read 610,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I don't think the "lisp" is seen as effeminate by non-Castilians, is it? I don't know, I'm certainly not an expert on Spanish cultures or language! But the Colombian woman who taught my first classes so many years ago, gave me the impression it seemed a bit snooty or upper class to people who spoke a different type, in the same way that Americans hear the Queen's English.

Indeed! The lisp is not seen as effeminate at all. It is rather comical in many countries in Latin America. In regards to the analogy between American and Brits, that is not the case either. After the Emancipation wars during the 1800's, the relationship was completely severed, thus generating pride among the young Latin American countries. Then the living conditions of Spaniards during Franco's tyranny, left no room for pretenciousness or anything resembling that. Argentinians were in charge of this department!...LOL.

I have to add that Spaniards from the Canary Islands have absolutely no lisp in their phonetics.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:02 PM

5,256 posts, read 8,056,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Guitar View Post
I have to add that Spaniards from the Canary Islands have absolutely no lisp in their phonetics.
That's because Canary Islands Spanish has been heavily influenced from the New World Spanish, especially from places like Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Cuba and Venezuela. This was due to the constant migrations the Canary Islanders did from the Canaries to those colonies and then back to the Canaries, with time mixing all sorts of influences and bringing them back to their homelands.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,574 times
I think you should go to PR. The safest place to be is probably in the big newer cities. There is lots to learn about indigenous things & just because PR is US territory doesn't mean its completely American. The rent is favorable depending where you live but most is affordable. Believe me there is a lot of culture over there. The spanish is easier to learn there & its cheaper to go there. You can learn lots of things, make good friends, & not waste a lot of money.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,574 times
oh and make sure u learn the proper way of the 'r' in PR.. like every language it has its ghetto form.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:45 AM

7 posts, read 15,403 times
I say go for Peru. Might as well totally immerse. Spanish is Spanish, you will be able to adjust to the differences. Lima seems to be a better place to live in many aspects then Santo Domingo for example too.

As for crime, PR is a major drug entry point which explains the homicide rate. However at the same time most of this crime you speak of occurs in high poverty areas among people involved.

Peru and DR also have their high crime areas. I wouldn't be too concerned. Don't leave your wallet on a table in a resturant and expect to find it when you return. I wouldn't worry about getting blown away.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:19 AM

348 posts, read 559,113 times
Peru.

The beaches are not as great as the ones in PR and DR,

but you will learn a "Castellano" that is much more "neutral" and mainstream, in comparison to what's spoken in the Hispanic Caribbean basin.

Peru also has much more culture....in every sense of the word.
From the culinary to the historical, it's one of the most unique cultures in the Americas and the world.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:23 AM

22,236 posts, read 23,726,724 times
Go for Puerto Rico

Old 04-27-2012, 12:50 AM

4 posts, read 9,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
I think the O/P needs to know there is a civil war in Peru, at this time.......
civil war in Peru?, where did you get that?

Old 04-27-2012, 05:16 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,214,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've spent time in both Peru and Dominican Republic.

PERU is WAY MORE DANGEROUS than Dominican Republic. They really look for foreigners to rob from...it's just something they do there.

DR isn't Japan safe by any means, but of all the Carribbean countries, it seems to have the least crime. It was one of the reasons I visited DR, and sure enough, it felt way safer than Peru comparitively.

Not saying the DR is 'safe', but comparitively, it is much safer than Peru anyways. (No idea where Puerto Rico falls into that).
Puerto Rico is about as dangerous as Tijuana or D.C., with the murder rate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or