Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Puerto Rico is about as dangerous as Tijuana or D.C., with the murder rate
It would be nice that when questions like the OP's are asked people FROM these countries give some advice. She probably already went somewhere since this topic is so old but I just hate that people just judge a place just by statistics without knowing how it actually is living there.

I'm from PR, and I can tell you I feel really safe anywhere in my island, sure I feel safer in the non-metropolitan area and even tho there is news of killings everyday you should know that 95% of the killings in a year are drug related and are in between these same people, in other words they kill each other. Yea, sometimes an innocent takes the hit but that is rarely the case. Nobody has ever been kidnapped for ransom here.. you can't say the same for every other latin american country. Nobody has been beated to death for racism, there's no guerrilas. I've never been robbed, we leave the house all open. Now, I've heard, even from people from my island that have gone to DR that people there wait in parking lots for tourists coming out of supermarkets and such and rob em, even to us PRs. I've never heard of that here. Once I wen't to an hotel there, and people would warn us to not go outside of the hotel complex because it was really dangerous out there. I wouldn't know, I didn't go out myself.

As for Peru, I can't help there as I haven't gone there. But I got a friend that's half peruvian so I could ask him and post later.

People, if you haven't gone somewhere, don't give your opinion based on what you heard I dunno how long ago. Be sure to know how things are from people from DIFFERENT areas, then post..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 12:59 PM

10,079 posts, read 14,952,774 times
All people have to do is do their own research and the internet is a great tool for that.

For example, want to know if there are kidnappings in Puerto Rico? Search secuestros Puerto Rico and you will get this: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=...w=1440&bih=836

What about racism in Peru? Search and you get this: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=...w=1440&bih=836

And then there are the personal opinions. For example, last November I went to Dominican Republic for three weeks and that was my first time there. Didn't spent many days at the resort, mostly traveling around the country and getting a feel for the place. The result? I felt perfectly safe everywhere I went there.

As can be proven, opinions vary from person to person. Some may feel safe where others may not, and that's why we have objective statistics. To give us a better understanding of what each place is like.

I think the DR is quite safe based on my experience, but the poster above me says the opposite. I also think Puerto Rico is relatively safe too, based on my visits there and how I felt, but the poster above me claims kidnappings don't happen there when they do. That's the problem with opinions, everyone has one and they are based on perception. I never felt threatened on my two visits to Lima either.

The reality is that anything can happen to anyone in all three places, but the likelihood that the OP will face problems is relatively small, unless the OP is interested in other people's businesses that shouldn't be of interest.

Look at Mexico, so much attention they get on the news and yet, most places there are perfectly fine for anyone with common sense.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,044 times
Wink Puerto rico

Definitely Puerto Rico, cause we have a very beautiful culture. We Have the best Music, Food, etc. Both DR And Peru Are Beautiful, but Puerto Rico Wins!

Old 11-05-2013, 02:21 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaPholosophie View Post
I am planning to study abroad a semester to learn Spanish and have narrowed it down to 3 countries:

PR or DR
PROS:
1. the majority of the spanish-speakers in my state (NYC) come from these two countries
2. the spanish spoken here is very different from standard spanish, so i will become more accustomed to it.
3. closer to home, so wont feel so alone
4. its cheaper to fly there
5. interested in culture
CONS:
1. not really a study abroad experience since has the same laws as the US (PR)

Peru
PROS:
1. Im interested in indigenious cultures, which Peru offers (Cusco)
2. Spanish is very similar to standard, so will be easy to understand
3. more of a study abroad experience
CONS:
1. not the spanish spoken in the state i plan to work
2. more expensive to fly to
3. farther from home, so I will get more homesick

So which country should I choose?
If between PR and Dom Rep, which would be better?

Thanks in advance
Keep in mind the Puerto Ricans and Dominicans in the USA are not the same as those in Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic. If you want to get a real true authentic feel for the culture, language, people and food etc and accents, travel to the countries and nations and places itself.

You should go with Dominican Republic for now.

Maybe you can try Peru after the DR.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:19 AM

7 posts, read 12,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eberrios97 View Post
Definitely Puerto Rico, cause we have a very beautiful culture. We Have the best Music, Food, etc. Both DR And Peru Are Beautiful, but Puerto Rico Wins!
Beautiful food? Rice beans pok...Peru has world class cuisine, the france of latin america or better yet, the france of the american continent

Old 11-28-2014, 05:23 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
I'm working in Peru and I play on a basketball team of PR & DR guys. Peruvians are less outgoing, less likely to speak English (which is more frustrating until you learn to converse in Spanish but you will also learn faster in Peru because you almost have no choice). You will definitely get a more different culture in Peru than the other 2. As far as climate, I love the Cusco cool temps but if you are like most chicas, you will be mucho frio in Cusco.

As far as safety, Peru has a much lower violent crime rate than the other 2 but petty crime is here. I don't feel unsafe here but I'm on guard at certain times and areas.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:39 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
I would choose the Dominican Republic because it's just such a vibrant place to be. Really enjoyed visiting it and would like to go back and see more of the nation. Next would be Peru...so much to see. Not saying that you wouldn't enjoy Puerto Rico, of course. You won't go wrong with any of them, but the DR would be my choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've spent time in both Peru and Dominican Republic.

PERU is WAY MORE DANGEROUS than Dominican Republic. They really look for foreigners to rob from...it's just something they do there.

DR isn't Japan safe by any means, but of all the Carribbean countries, it seems to have the least crime. It was one of the reasons I visited DR, and sure enough, it felt way safer than Peru comparitively.

Not saying the DR is 'safe', but comparitively, it is much safer than Peru anyways. (No idea where Puerto Rico falls into that).
Not it doesn't. There are a number of other islands with less crime than the DR, just not Spanish-speaking islands.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:51 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Been to Dominican Republic and Peru and of the two, I'd recommend Peru for study abroad. Safety depends on where you live and where you go. I wouldn't go roaming around by myself in any of the three places without some idea of the danger. We walked the streets in Lima (high rent district - Miraflores) without any problems. Also the same in Cusco. I would not try to drive in Lima -- it's worse than anyplace I've seen. Peru is open for business...it has been experiencing a strong economy while everywhere else was in recession. Tourism is a big deal there and they understand and like that foreigners want to see and learn about Peru. I would guess that Peru might be more expensive until you learn how the locals manage. The Peruvian people are polite and reserved and somewhat conservative. The food is very interesting but good...fusion (Indian, Spanish, Japanese) and seafood.

Dominican Republic was very much third world (we were out in the country) and water and electricity were not very reliable. Basic infrastructure was iffy. Locals were not very friendly unless you were handing out cash. It is a pretty country with some nice beaches. We ran into bunches of German tourists and German food was on some restaurant menus. I went diving and the dive-master and other divers all spoke German. Driving was treacherous. We had to leave early - last flight out before a hurricane arrived. You will need some Spanish in both places but I managed with my 30 year old remembered college Spanish.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:01 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
I think the OP thought about PR and DR because she has familiarity with them. However, PRS and DRs drom NYC are different than the ones from the islands.

The Spanish in PR and DR is awful unless you speak with an educated person that avoids slang and the mispronunciation of the R as an L. There is also Spanglish in PR, not a good thing.

Peruvians speak much better Spanish.

I would suggest the OP to go to Perú or Spain for the language.

For culture Spain would be best.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,102 times
Default Peru

Peru is the best place why ? By the statistic peru have the best spanish 2 place is argentina and the worst is chile , i'm from pr and the people pr don't very good spanish .go online and make a googke search and you're going to see the people from peru are #1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas