Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2007, 04:30 PM

131 posts, read 445,820 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm curious if any one has experience living in Colombia. I have visited only once(Cartagena) and found it facinating. I am engaged to a woman from Cali but would like to get other than the native viewpoint. I read that Medellin is really up and coming. My experience with friends tells me the people are wonderful. It certainly seems like an interesting part time retirement spot. Politically, problems still remain but it does seem to be improving. I don't believe I'd be interested in Bogata a little too big and colder. Any one know about Popayan, Manizales, Medellin, Santa Marta, Cali, Cartagena or other interesting cities. Cultural activities are important to us as well as the out doors. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 01:57 AM

9,297 posts, read 14,192,734 times
Default For What It's Worth

I don't have direct experience in Colombia, but in a nearby country, married to a native.

True, a whole swathe of the country is more or less governed by a separate entity from the official elected government, but "legitimate" Colombia, among other things, has a rather vibrant and robust economy, including a respectable manufacturing sector.

I can well imagine that it has many fascinating aspects - socially, culturally, economically - and I would bet that you could find peaceful spots to live in if you eventually marry your fiance, especially if you speak the local language and sort of blend in.

Hopefully someone with direct experience in Colombia will answer.

Good luck!

Old 10-04-2007, 11:25 AM

131 posts, read 445,820 times
Thanks bale002, my Spanish comprenhension is not up to my ability to speak, mainly I guess because it is taking me time to stop processing through English. It's an exciting challenge! My limited experience in Colombia has shown me severe distinction between the haves & have nots. No different than the US I suppose. What country is your experience in? I am excited by different opportunities to live in the region, but costs are seemingly running up in Costa Rica, and Panama. Venezuela sadly has an unfriendly situation that will probably not improve soon. I really like the way Colombian people enjoy life, and with my future wife being from there it seems to be a good fit, she sure would be happy to be able to spend time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas