U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 10:57 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,213,327 times

Advertisements

Do tell all ...... I've heard it's a very nice place to retire to if your budget is not enough for a decent life in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 05:44 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
I was traveling around Sotheby's America, and ended up renting an apartment in Quito for a month.

It was 1998 though...but certainly cheap, and rather were some American retirees there.

Seems like the best approach is to just rent rather than buying a house.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:22 PM

740 posts, read 1,762,293 times
Hey Woof. I currently live in Ecuador and have been here for going on 6 months. You can generally rent a decent house for $250-300.00 a month. It is not impossible to live in $750.00 a month and this is living relatively comfortable. For $1,000, you can live well and for $1,500 a month you can live like a king.
Crime in the larger cities can be a problem, especially Guayaquil and Quito but that is the same as any other large city. Vilcabamba is one of the more popular gringo havens, and I do feel it is a great place to live. Cost of living might be 10-15% over what i listed above. Pretty large expat community of about 650 in Vilcabamba alone. If you like larger cities, Cuenca with about 450,000 is an awesome option. What other questions do you have?

PS. The currency is the USD, which makes life simple.
AA

Old 10-23-2011, 01:50 PM

I've heard the banks are kind of oldfashioned and lower tech than here, Alaskan. Are there many ATMs, and can one easily access or transfer money from a US account to Ecuador? Are the banks completely reliable? I'm talking about things like a social security check.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I've heard the banks are kind of oldfashioned and lower tech than here, Alaskan. Are there many ATMs, and can one easily access or transfer money from a US account to Ecuador? Are the banks completely reliable? I'm talking about things like a social security check.
The only problems I have heard regarding ATMs is the machines running out of money on occasion, usually over the weekend. I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with standard banking. When you come to visit, bring lots of small bills, mainly 1s and 5s. Breaking a 10 or 20 can be a real pita. Hope this helps.

AA

Old 10-25-2011, 04:11 AM

32,063 posts, read 32,962,795 times
I spent a year in Guayaquil, Ecuador in 1996/7. At that time, Ecuadorian bank system was modern than the American bank system.
In general, Ecuador is a good place to retire as it cheaper to live there than the USA. When I was there I met in Guayaquil various Americans who had retired in Ecuador for that exact reason.
I also met there several Italian expats. There was definitely a large Italian community in Guayaquil at that time.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:23 AM

I definitely don't recommend Guayaquil due to increasing crime. A friend of mine's close friend just got murderer about a week ago and i have heard of quite a few other acts of violence. One common situation is when you hail a taxi, get in...and the taxi driver takes you to an ambush. You are then at gunpoint under their control, and they take you to the nearest ATM and get you to make a withdraw for them. Just a warning. Besides Esmeraldas, I would say the rest of Ecuador is pretty safe overall, just use common sense.

AA

Old 10-25-2011, 09:13 PM

32,063 posts, read 32,962,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Adventurer View Post
I definitely don't recommend Guayaquil due to increasing crime. A friend of mine's close friend just got murderer about a week ago and i have heard of quite a few other acts of violence. One common situation is when you hail a taxi, get in...and the taxi driver takes you to an ambush. You are then at gunpoint under their control, and they take you to the nearest ATM and get you to make a withdraw for them. Just a warning. Besides Esmeraldas, I would say the rest of Ecuador is pretty safe overall, just use common sense.

AA
This is new to me. When I was in Guayaquil there were some street muggings. But I have never heard of any problems with taxis except that you have/had to bargain with them to get a good fare.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:15 PM

I do hate haggling, but I guess that's just part of how things are done in every country south of the US.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:50 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I do hate haggling, but I guess that's just part of how things are done in every country south of the US.
There are plenty of stores with just straight-up prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or