U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 08:31 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,519,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
I have made my argument, you are getting big headed because Brazils economy is doing well at the moment, we will see how it holds up in future then we will know if Brazil have a stong economy that is better than Germany, UK, France etc. Yeah Europe is facing tough times at the moment, we have got through two world wars and previous recessions before.
I've seen your argument. That's what I'm referring to. You're arguing things that everyone knows: the UK and EU has a higher QOL than Brasil. Congratulations. However you're skirting the issue when it comes to the rapid growth and improvement of Brasil and the other BRICS nations. As many others have mentioned on this thread, the QOL has been improving and will continue to improve as their middle-classes grow.

Also, how am I getting big-headed? I'm an American through and through, and I want it (and Europe) to do well. That said, Brasil has held up very well so far in the recession and continues to grow at a healthy rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 08:38 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,101,874 times
Of course there is rapid growth, but so did Europe enjoy the good times in the 90s and 00s, who knows what the future will bring for Brazil. I just think people are jumping the gun a bit with their predictions.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:55 AM

281 posts, read 674,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Of course there is rapid growth, but so did Europe enjoy the good times in the 90s and 00s, who knows what the future will bring for Brazil. I just think people are jumping the gun a bit with their predictions.
Bit of advice, if I may: whenever you see "forecast" and "2050" in the same sentence, run away.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:10 AM

2,578 posts, read 4,662,158 times
The amount of hatred against Brazil will only rise starting from now.

Brazil is "daring" to surpass the old British Empire in Total nominal GDP, and becoming the sixth largest economy in the world.

Many people won't "forgive" Brazil for this "insolence".

I can only forecast more and more hate speech against Brazil in the coming years, directly proportional to the increase of its GDP, and its successful rise as one of the top world economies.

The big frustration of the haters will be that they won't have the "democracy" card to throw against Brazil, like they do with China. China became the second largest economy in the world, but the haters can scream all the time that "China is a communist dictatorship". Now, what the haters will say against Brazil, a solid democracy with free press?

Old 11-10-2011, 01:23 PM

17,307 posts, read 19,585,657 times
This is a useless argument. A country can have strong points other than high GDP per capita.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:24 PM

597 posts, read 1,157,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
The amount of hatred against Brazil will only rise starting from now.

Brazil is "daring" to surpass the old British Empire in Total nominal GDP, and becoming the sixth largest economy in the world.

Many people won't "forgive" Brazil for this "insolence".

I can only forecast more and more hate speech against Brazil in the coming years, directly proportional to the increase of its GDP, and its successful rise as one of the top world economies.

The big frustration of the haters will be that they won't have the "democracy" card to throw against Brazil, like they do with China. China became the second largest economy in the world, but the haters can scream all the time that "China is a communist dictatorship". Now, what the haters will say against Brazil, a solid democracy with free press?
Yes you're right.
As a Brazilian I am very happy about everything is happening.
Did you know, every day, a growing number of Europeans and Americans wanting to immigrate to Brazil looking for job??
Until few years ago this was something unimaginable.
Every day increases the amount of Brazilian emigrants returning.
Well, I think something good is happening here.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:27 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,101,874 times
Ok "malaman" (what's withall the quotation marks btw lol)

Nobody has said anything like a hate comment. I love Brazil, I just think some of the comments are jumping the gun. There is plenty of hurdles to overcome before Brazil is up there with the states and western Europe etc, economically and socially.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:49 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,928,628 times
Why does everyone think that the rise of one country means the decline of another? Europe and the rest of the West can still be well off, even if Brazil, China, and others catch up at some point.
Europe has done just fine as the number two over the last 70 years.

I agree though that forecasts for 2050 are nonsense. I don't think you can predict anything that is that far in the future. Everything could happen.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:12 PM

704 posts, read 1,327,127 times
I hope the BRIC nations all do good and grow a lot economically! That means more tourists to come spend their $$$ in Hawaii!

Old 11-10-2011, 02:15 PM

17,307 posts, read 19,585,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
I hope the BRIC nations all do good and grow a lot economically! That means more tourists to come spend their $$$ in Hawaii!
Hmm... why would they all go to Hawaii?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or