U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 11:15 AM

2,570 posts, read 4,653,986 times

Advertisements

Brazil and the United Nations World Food Program (WFP) have joined forces to launch a new initiative to help countries run their own national school meal programs to advance the nutrition and education of children.

The Center of Excellence Against Hunger, located in the capital, Brasília, will assist governments in Africa, Asia and Latin America by drawing on the expertise of WFP and Brazil in the fight against hunger, while promoting sustainable school feeding models and other food and nutrition safety nets.

"As a world champion in the fight against hunger, Brazil has a wealth of experience that can be shared with governments eager to learn how they achieved that success and adapt it to their own countries," said WFP Executive Director, Josette Sheeran, who is on an official visit to the country.

The Center will provide a unique "South-South bridge" to ending hunger, she noted in a news release issued by the agency.

Read the rest of the article here: With UN's Help Brazil Becomes Center of Fight Against Global Hunger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 11:24 AM

I'm glad to see that my country not only has eliminated hunger in its territory, but also is seeking to help other Latin American coutries, and also African countries, to do the same.

With the knowledge we have accumulated in many areas, like agricultural research, support for small farmers, local productive chains, distribution networks, micro-credit, and others, I'm sure we can give a great help to other countries.

I'm also glad that my country has the spirit of international solidarity.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:00 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
I love Brazil....

But, on the other hand, a lot of Amazonian Indigeneous are constantly losing their lands. I believe there are also quite a few dam projects up there too, that wipe out communities.

A recent one from a month or two ago...

Indigenous Revelations
Quote:
Chief Raoni crying when he learned that the President of Brazil approved the Belo Monte dam project on the Xingu indigenous lands. Belo Monte will be bigger than the Panama Canal, flooding nearly a million acres of rainforest & indigenous lands. 40,000 indigenous and local people will be forced off their native lands (as well as millions of unknown species & plants) In the name of “progress”

Old 11-10-2011, 06:57 PM

Hey Tiger Beer, I'm against those big hydro dams too!

I think Brazil should invest more on wind power, like we do here in the state of Ceara, instead for building such monster hydro dams in the Amazon! But unfortunately, the federal government is insisting with this project of these two hydro dams...

Old 11-10-2011, 09:45 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Hey Tiger Beer, I'm against those big hydro dams too!

I think Brazil should invest more on wind power, like we do here in the state of Ceara, instead for building such monster hydro dams in the Amazon! But unfortunately, the federal government is insisting with this project of these two hydro dams...
Yeah, I certainly understand.

As to Brazil helping with the global hungry, kudos for that.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:30 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,674,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
I'm also glad that my country has the spirit of international solidarity.
That's a good thing, really. First of all because it's from a southern country, aimed towards other southern countries. Second, because here in Europe, development aid will very probably be one of the first things to go under our current "slashing-the-budget-frenzy" .

Old 11-12-2011, 08:07 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
Maybe someone more familiar with Brazil can confirm something for me.

In a supermarket, I saw a shelf near the front, full of brown paper bags, which contained a supply of staples, like rice, beans, cornmeal, oil, sugar, milk. It was my understanding that they were free, and anyone could walk in and take one, no questions asked. Is this a widespread practice in Brazil, or did I misunderstand the intent of it?

Another thing that interested me in Brazil, was that packages of tampons had a month's supply of birth control pills taped to the package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas