U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 07:31 AM

2,568 posts, read 4,653,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Yes. Brazil's fertility rate is now just 1.9 children per woman. This is attributed to several factors: 1) Brazil's rapid industrialization, lessening the need for child agrarian labor. 2) easy legal access to birth-control pills and devices, without prescription. 3) declining infant and child mortality rates due to public health initiatives. 4) government financial incentives for performing C-sections, with tubal ligations tacked on. 4) immensely popular telenovelas (soap operas) featuring glamorous middle-class, independent female characters as role models. Read National Geographic magazine's Sept. 2011 article on this subject nationgeographic.com - nation geographic Resources and Information. The New York Times has also written about Brazil's phenomenon.
Yes, the fertility rate has dropped drastically in the past 10 years in Brazil.

The huge majority of the couples that have kids younger than 10 years old don't have a second kid. The huge majority has just one kid. And we don't have an official "one child policy" like China! People are doing this for pure personal choice.

Today, it's very very difficult to find a couple in Brazil that has 3 young kids, or more than 3.

And this is valid for all social classes.

Another phenomenon is the fact that people are staying single until much later age, including the women. It's very usual thing now to find a woman in Brazil who is 28 or 29 years old, and is not married. 20 years ago, it wasn't so usual...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 08:44 AM

22,234 posts, read 23,673,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well large amount of Australians that have lived in the UK have moved back to Australia due to the declining prospects over there. I met some people that have used to live in the UK due to that reason.

I have met british people here complain on the lack of work over in the UK but here in Australia they see more jobs advertised.

Besides the unemployment rate is 8.1% in UK, 5.3 percent in Australia. In Spain its in double figures and thats the same with some east European nations. The Euro area its 10%
Unemployment Rates, List by Country
And many Brits have emigrated back to the UK because Australian house prices have soared to levels above that of London. Besides, if you have no job in the UK you cannot emigrate abroad, the only way you're getting into Australia is if you have a job they want you to do. such as being a nurse.

Also the number of Australians living in the UK has increased over the past 10 years despite the sour economy.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:11 AM

24,757 posts, read 33,965,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Brazil: migration flows reversed | beyondbrics | News and views on emerging markets from the Financial Times

Brazil's Immigration Surges 52 Percent: Daily Update | The Rio Times | Brazil News

According to these two articles....there are now 2 million foreigners living in Brazil, and there are approximately 2 million Brazilians living/working abroad...

Apparently there were 4 million abroad, but about half returned with sour economies abroad.

Interesting, for sure! Not sure how accurate those stats are in the articles, but interesting nontheless.
I know that in New Jersey, which with New York and Massachusetts has the largest Brazilian population in the US, for the past two years or so many Brazilians have left and gone back to Brazil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
After Brazil's economy soured several years, ago, I understand that Japan encouraged several thousand Brazilians of Japanese ancestry to emigrate there. However these free-wheeling emigrants had difficulty conforming to Japan's language, diet, and societal customs, and many returned to Brazil. This is unfortunate, since Japan has such a top-heavy aged population, and needs all the young working-age people it can get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
I read that they specifically issued visas for Brazilians of Japanese decent. Because that was the only source of overseas immigrants of Japanese decent and they wanted to keep Japan "pure", so they did this. Japan is heavily racist.
That's true, but it was Brazilians and Peruvians of Japanese descent as well. The Japanese got mad at them (the Brazilians and Peruvians) because they wouldn't assimilate or even learn Japanese and insisted on setting up private schools to educate their children.

Quote:
They don't want anybody else in there. If they really wanted to, they could attract enough immigrants
This is true.

Quote:
Many Argentines around the same time, emigrated to Spain and Italy, with greater success, since they found a more similar culture and language there.
Yes, I guess those would be the primary "motherlands" for Argentines. A running joke there says that Argentines are Germans who speak Spanish with Italian accents and think they're English.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 16 days ago)

5,194 posts, read 8,029,582 times
Wow, only 4 million Brazilians used to live abroad now down to 2 million. For a country with over 100 million people, that's a drop in a bucket. A very small drop.

For some reason I thought it would be higher.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:50 PM

2,189 posts, read 4,715,756 times
Strict immigration policies in Brazil, or what? What's the reason?

Old 11-17-2011, 05:07 PM

230 posts, read 783,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Wow, only 4 million Brazilians used to live abroad now down to 2 million. For a country with over 100 million people, that's a drop in a bucket. A very small drop.

For some reason I thought it would be higher.
Actually it is a country of almost 200 million. There really are not very many Brazilians living abroad. I would be willing to bet the majority of people in the US have never met a Brazilian. I am from Seattle and I remember in high school one came to our school who was an exchange student at another school. Even when I lived in Chicago, relatively recently, I only met a few Brazilians, and that is the second or third biggest city in the US. Brazilians have started to travel more but really not that many live abroad.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:14 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
Actually it is a country of almost 200 million. There really are not very many Brazilians living abroad. I would be willing to bet the majority of people in the US have never met a Brazilian. I am from Seattle and I remember in high school one came to our school who was an exchange student at another school. Even when I lived in Chicago, relatively recently, I only met a few Brazilians, and that is the second or third biggest city in the US. Brazilians have started to travel more but really not that many live abroad.
Same here. I've met very few Brazilians in the U.S.

I lived in Brazil for a little while, so I actively sought them out, and I lived in NYC and SF after living in Brazil. They were around like 'Lone Rangers', seldom ever in a concentrated community like other immigrant groups - at least none that I saw in NYC or SF.

I've heard there is really only three places you'd find a communities, parts of Florida, parts of Massachusetts, and Newark, NJ.

So, unless someone lived in one of those three areas, it's unlikely they would have easily met a Brazilian in the U.S.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:25 AM

2,241 posts, read 2,674,223 times
Very interesting. There is some skepticism and caveats to this etc, but it's still interesting nonetheless.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 16 days ago)

5,194 posts, read 8,029,582 times
There are many Brazilians in Mount Vernon, NY. When I was a university student, during one of the summer breaks I worked for a door-to-door sales company and I spent a couple weeks pitching the products in Mount Vernon.

I don't know if it was a coincidence, but all the Brazilians that I met (and they are quite numerous in that town) were from Minas Gerais.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:12 PM

2,568 posts, read 4,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
There are many Brazilians in Mount Vernon, NY. When I was a university student, during one of the summer breaks I worked for a door-to-door sales company and I spent a couple weeks pitching the products in Mount Vernon.

I don't know if it was a coincidence, but all the Brazilians that I met (and they are quite numerous in that town) were from Minas Gerais.

It's not a coincidence.

The region of Brazil that "exports" the most people to the USA is the northeast of the state of Minas Gerais, the region centered around the city of Governador Valadares.

I don't know why, but people in that region really like to migrate to the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas